It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstellar Object Oumuamua Isn't What We Thought It Was , the Mystery Continues

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   
So Oumuamua was just an odd shaped Comet Eh ? , probably not says new study.

The fascinating Interstellar object piqued our interest back in 2017 , that interest was intensified with the revelation that the object had sped up as it left our Solar System but then a Scientific study by Astrophysicists using Spitzer Space Telescope observations seemed to pour cold water on that excited interest when they suggested that Oumuamua was just an odd shaped Comet made of Hydrogen ice , thus giving an explanation for Oumuamua's unexplained acceleration.

The new study published in The Astrophysical Journal Letters by Dr. Thiem Hoang, senior researcher in the theoretical astrophysics group at KASI and Dr. Avi Loeb, Frank B. Baird Professor of Science at Harvardnow pours cold water on the Hydrogen ice Comet theory by stating a Comet of that size would have evaporated before it left it's own Solar System.

"The proposal by Seligman and Laughlin appeared promising because it might explain the extreme elongated shape of 'Oumuamua as well as the non-gravitational acceleration.

"We wanted to not only test the assumptions in the theory but also the dark matter proposition." Dr. Avi Loeb, Frank B. Baird Professor of Science at Harvard and co-author on the paper, added, "We were suspicious that hydrogen icebergs could not survive the journey—which is likely to take hundreds of millions of years—because they evaporate too quickly, and as to whether they could form in molecular clouds."

Traveling at a blistering speed of 196,000mph in 2017, 'Oumuamua was first classified as an asteroid, and when it later sped up, was found to have properties more akin to comets. But the 0.2km radius interstellar object didn't fit that category, either, and its point of origin has remained a mystery.

Researchers focused on the giant molecular cloud (GMC) W51—one of the closest GMCs to Earth at just 17,000 light years away—as a potential point of origin for 'Oumuamua, but hypothesize that it simply could not have made the journey intact. "The most likely place to make hydrogen icebergs is in the densest environments of the interstellar medium. These are giant molecular clouds," said Loeb, confirming that these environments are both too far away and are not conducive to the development of hydrogen icebergs.

Although the study explored destruction of H2 ice by multiple mechanisms including interstellar radiation, cosmic rays, and interstellar gas, sublimation due to heating by starlight has the most destructive effect, and according to Loeb, "Thermal sublimation by collisional heating in GMCs could destroy molecular hydrogen icebergs of 'Oumuamua-size before their escape into the interstellar medium." This conclusion precludes the theory that 'Oumuamua journeyed to our solar system from a GMC, and further precludes the proposition of primordial snowballs as dark matter. Evaporative cooling in these situations does not reduce the role of thermal sublimation by starlight in the destruction of H2 ice objects.
phys.org...

So we know what it wasn't but still don't know what is was , not sayin it's Aliens but ......

edit on 18-8-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

So we know what it wasn't but still don't know what is was , not sayin it's Aliens but

How uncivilised of them not to pop by for a cup o' tea and a chat, eh?

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Well, unless it swings around out there and comes back, I’m afraid we will never know.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

I don't know mate , would you ?
I think I'd just pass by whistling.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I just hope if they tuned in they caught a movie like Ironman instead of a news channel.

I’ve always wondered why we haven’t strapped a some contraption like star link to one of those flying rocks, dropping one at near maximum range to further our satellite signals. Strap a go-pro and a JATO to the Ass of another one and point it at Orion or something.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

A huge Spaceship disguised as a Comet doing a flyby and either they didnt like what they saw or they will be back. If they come back, with what intentions?

Of course, our Leaders will be prepared for war first and ask questions later as that's what they do...

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   
So , they assume that it arrived intact ?
On what did they base that assumption ?

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Maybe it was a probe before the arrival of C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS), or ‘K2 closest approach 14 Jul 2022

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Most comets become active only when near the sun. This one is active, but distant, between the orbits of Saturn and Uranus, where sunlight is 1/225th as bright as seen from Earth.

The comet is record-breaking because it is already becoming active under the feeble glow of the distant sun. Astronomers have never seen an active inbound comet this far out, where sunlight is merely 1/225th its brightness as seen from Earth. Temperatures, correspondingly, are at a minus 440 degrees Fahrenheit. Even at such bone-chilling temperatures, a mix of ancient ices on the surface – oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide – is beginning to sublimate and shed as dust. This material balloons into a vast 80,000-mile-wide (130,000-km-wide) halo of dust, called a coma, enveloping the solid nucleus.

earthsky.org...
www.rocketstem.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

If Oumuamua was an Extraterrestrial object I think a probe would fit the bill , it's what we would do.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

So we know what it wasn't but still don't know what is was , not sayin it's Aliens but

How uncivilised of them not to pop by for a cup o' tea and a chat, eh?

If I swung by this hood I'd lock my doors and roll up my windows.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I concur, thanks for posting this! I always love explaining to friends/family/random people that we do not know what Omu was. They all say "look at the pictures" etc and I pull one up and point the "Artists Rendition" below whatever picture they want to throw up. It's amazing how few people realize that no one on earth, that we are aware of atleast, actually visually saw what Omu looks like.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   

That video shows its path perfectly timed with passing earth before leaving again. It seems like perfect timing.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: 19Bones79

That's what interests me , the trajectory is interesting , could be chance but then again ....

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777

A huge Spaceship disguised as a Comet doing a flyby and either they didnt like what they saw or they will be back. If they come back, with what intentions?

Of course, our Leaders will be prepared for war first and ask questions later as that's what they do...

Unless, of course, we're already at war with baby-eating Adrenochrome addicted lizards ... and them there people in that there comet come back with reinforcements.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
perhaps the oddly shaped Oumuamua is just a 1/2 km long portion of a 'Lava Tube' still intact from a exploded Alien Planetoid/ Moon.... somewhere in Lost Time-Space

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

That doesn't account for the acceleration though , something non-gravitational caused it to speed up.

Impulse engines perhaps.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

I for one hope that it was nothing more than an interstellar comet and not an out of control space craft careening through space, lost forever, whispering it's desperate pleas for help across time and space. Or it could be a scout for our reptilian overlords.

The most logical response would be to tell them to watch our documentary series, Star Trek and call Starfleet HQ if they need help.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   
If it was a probe, why didn't they keep current speed knowing full well we'd never catch it?

If I was going to survey a planet with known intelligent life sending out radio signals, this is one way to do it. A passive probe mostly disguised as a rock or comet. I'd want to keep the speed as comet-like as possible, expecting them to be watching, and hoping to slip away leaving them more confused than anything.

Why kick up the motors in observable range. Unless I'm anxious to get going with Phase 2....

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I suppose there could be something out there, with mass, remaining undetected, that may be responsible for the change in Oumuamuas velocity by way of some kind of gravitational assist or attraction.

I mean planet nine remains to be seen/discovered.
edit on 18-8-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Or along those lines,
Slapping something like the James Webb telescope on one passing by, and about 5000 cube Sat's, each set to deploy at set intervals to act as repeaters.
Over time, one after another drops off the comet and be s back the signal from the telescope... And we can stream it live.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join