It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black babies more likely to survive when cared for by black doctors

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 12:56 AM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

Black babies have a greater chance of survival when the hospital doctor in charge of their care is also black, according to a new study.

In the US, babies of colour face starkly worse clinical outcomes than white newborns.

published last year shows that black babies are more than twice as likely to die before reaching their first birthday than white babies, regardless of the mother’s income or education level.

While infant mortality has fallen overall in the past century thanks to improvements in hygiene, nutrition and healthcare, the black-white disparity has grown.

Multiple interrelated factors which contribute to these disparities include structural and societal racism, toxic stress and cumulative socioeconomic disadvantages.

When cared for by white doctors, black babies are about three times more likely to die in the hospital than white newborns.

This disparity halves when black babies are cared for by a black doctor.

Strikingly, the biggest drop in deaths occurred in complex births and in hospitals that deliver relatively more black babies, suggesting institutional factors may play a role.

Unconscious racism among white doctors towards black women and their babies may also be at play.

For white newborns, the race of their doctor makes little difference to their chances of survival.

Despite the stark findings, black women seeking a black doctor to minimize the risk to their babies will struggle as the medical workforce remains disproportionately white. Only 5% of doctors are black, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges.

Well, here ya go,

Tl'Dr White doctors kill black babies, according to research, it's a systematic problem based on the existence of white doctors, it happens in hospitals with significantly more black births than others, the reverse is untrue, the solution, should black women wish to minimize the risk of their baby's dying no white doctors.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88
That was a heart-breaking study.

Sadder than Planned Parenthood paying Black mothers-to-be to kill their babies for $$$.

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:09 AM
link   
That last line....

Despite the stark findings, black women seeking a black doctor to minimize the risk to their babies will struggle as the medical workforce remains disproportionately white. Only 5% of doctors are black, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges.

I'm just guessing here.....but this is a statistics thing.....obviously there will be more white docs with deaths of every race if that is true....

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Wow, nothing like a healthy dose of racism to start the day 😐

Articles/studies like this right now will do wonders for rioting & looting.

Who's idea and who paid for this research I wonder?

If it's true though (gonna research myself) I'm gonna be fking sick to my stomach 😡

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 02:34 AM
link   
This is a US study, so relevant to the US. The Guardian likes to suggest that it's a universal truth without recognising that there are significant societal differences regarding race between the US, the UK and any other country. More shoddy journalism to build a picture of division.

Surprise, surprise, you have to pay for the actual study, so have to rely on the Guardian's interpretation and angle of the detail and statistics. The Guardian seems to be labouring on (surprise, surprise) diversity in the workforce rather than the (often) self-inflicted social problems black communities have in the US, which may impact child mortality.

Perhaps white doctors should not be allowed to care for black patients. That is the level of segregation and apartheid some “right-thinking” people seem to want at the moment, like that will solve all the problems, eh?
edit on 18/8/2020 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 03:12 AM
link   

for a start you can throw this piece of # study out , because race isnt a biological factor

any medical journal speaking about race as a biological factor is trash , its a fallacy there is Zero biological evidence for race

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 03:19 AM
link   
how the # can they make so much fuss about fafct checking in politics , when scientific studies or medical studies arent fact checked for # like this ?

why do we still say race , when the mapping of the human genome proved the "5 races " classical view of humans is a fallacy

FACT CHECK - race = false

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Unconscious racism among white doctors towards black women and their babies may also be at play.

who the # came up with this #

unconscious racism aye

, how can anyone prove that is happening ? who dreamt up this idea , hmmm a racist maybe to justify any behaviour of anyone that opposes that persons perception of reality .

By this logic unconscious racism must be rampant in hospitals all those people just dying from unconscious racism , no one actually died from covid , it was unconscious racism that killed them !

edit on 18-8-2020 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 03:37 AM
link   

from the last line of the abstract in the study itself

We find no significant improvement in maternal mortality when birthing mothers share race with their physician.

So they say there is no improvement

but then in the opening section titled 'significance' they say

Findings suggest that when Black newborns are cared for by Black physicians, the mortality penalty they suffer, as compared with White infants, is halved.

But in the abstract they said there is no improvement
am I wrong in stating that these two statements contradict each other

Physician-patient racial concordance and disparities in birthing mortality for newborns

Ahhhh ignore me , i just realised they are referring to the mortality rate of the mother not the infant

In any case , racial concordance , should medical journals refer to race when race is a fallacy in biology ?

Just to come back to this , how can there be a improvement in the childs mortality , when there is no improvement in the mothers mortality when racial concordance is in place ? if the baby has a better chance of survival because the mother shares a phenotypical expression with the doctor why isnt there a improvement in the mothers mortality rate if they also share a phenotypical expression ?

does this work for black and hispanic mothers and mixed ethnicity infants ?

wtf the # is this study talking about , honestly

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Looking into racial concordance more

The physician-patient relationship is strengthened when patients see themselves as similar to their physicians in personal beliefs, values, and communication. Perceived personal similarity is associated with higher ratings of trust, satisfaction, and intention to adhere. Race concordance is the primary predictor of perceived ethnic similarity, but several factors affect perceived personal similarity, including physicians’ use of patient-centered communication.

from this link

Understanding Concordance

Appears that this is perception based from the perspective of the patient

looks like we just need to educate the world on DNA more
since we have more in common in our DNA than we do in our outward phenotypical expressions

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Well, I'm going to take the intellectual high ground here and call this a complete crock of #!

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 04:17 AM
link   
oh the study doesnt include mixed ethnicity as a sample study so I guess we wont know

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Definitely disturbing at the very least, but unfortunately not terribly surprising. I guess it's more comfortable to call yet another piece of evidence of systemic racism a "crock of #", but studies have already been out covering the biases and treatment disparities between whites and blacks. Here's one example: link

“Black people’s nerve endings are less sensitive than white people’s.” “Black people’s skin is thicker than white people’s.” “Black people’s blood coagulates more quickly than white people’s.”

These disturbing beliefs are not long-forgotten 19th-century relics. They are notions harbored by far too many medical students and residents as recently as 2016. In fact, half of trainees surveyed held one or more such false beliefs, according to a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academies of Science. I find it shocking that 40% of first- and second-year medical students endorsed the belief that “black people’s skin is thicker than white people’s.”

In a 2012 study, my colleagues and I found a correlation between pediatricians’ implicit (unconscious) racial biases and how they treated pain in a simulated African-American or white teenager following surgery: As the strength of provider implicit bias favoring whites increased, the likelihood of prescribing appropriate pain medication decreased only for the black patient. What’s more, a meta-analysis of 20 years of studies covering many sources of pain in numerous settings found that black/African American patients were 22% less likely than white patients to receive any pain medication.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

who the # came up with this #

unconscious racism aye

The conveniently invisible racist boogeyman is useful when there's nothing factual to push the narrative.

There's no identifiable racism at play so clearly it must just be racism that nobody can see, nobody can prove, and nobody can fight.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 05:13 AM
link   
We have 2 groups A and B. B happens to be 4 times more of the population than A. B is 80% and A is 20%.

Now from A and B, there are a proportionate number of doctors treating both A and B patients. B doctors treat more patients because there are more B doctors. B doctors have more deaths among patients that they treat because they treat more patients.

Is this what this study is saying?

Can someone show me how this is supposed to be racist?
edit on 8 18 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 05:37 AM
link   
But the experts keep saying all Races are equal !! ❌🥽👃🥽❌

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

for a start you can throw this piece of # study out , because race isnt a biological factor

any medical journal speaking about race as a biological factor is trash , its a fallacy there is Zero biological evidence for race

You’ve never heard of gfr....or sickle cell.
There are biological differences between races. I’m sorry but there are.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I can believe it; if a society is bombarded with a narrative loud enough and long enough it surely to have unintended consciousness. Tell a group of doctors that they are systematically racist based on nothing more than the color of their skin and they might start to act differently around the subject of this systematic racism. Second guess themselves, their diagnosis and treatments; act more reserved so as not to say or do something that might be seen as inappropriate.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Guiltyguitarist

if you read further into this article I posted a while ago in another thread

How science and genetics are reshaping the race debate

and then look at this , you will see its not due to the colour of their skin but the HbS gene their ancestry carries , and by ancestary I mean where their genes come from , race isnt a factor here , its the fact they have inherited this gene from their parents and because africans were less mixed with other regions as they stayed in africa , it also makes reference to the slave trade as a means of transporting vast numbers of gene carriers from Africa to America

Ancestary of African Americans with sickle cell disease

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   
That is the worst reporting I have seen in a long time and a disgrace on scum trying to explode BLM from media hype.

Medical professionals are renown world wide for trying to save lives, being black, white and yellow if we must label it. Medical professionals do not differentiate good and bad on the battlefield, when they are presented with a patient, they either treat everything, or in a war/pandemic situation where they cannot treat everyone, base their treatment on those most likely to survive with treatment.

There is a very sinister underbelly of people with access to the media who are hell bent on creating very dangerous and highly controversial topics that put lives, livelihood and society at risk for either the benefit of media sales or more sinister, putting left/right wing agendas in the forefront of threats to general populace.

Dont get hung up on the trivial 'false media' politicians claim, this is rancid and so dangerous to public order, it is revolutionary and needs to be stopped.

It needs to be stopped because it is absolute BS.

<<   2  3 >>

join