It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

people are exposed to 10,000 more droplets from a MASKLESS person

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Are staph bacilli not transmitted by droplets emitted while speaking?

That is the main reason medical masks are in use.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Yes. To reduce the number and velocity of droplets emitted into the environment.

Both bacilli and viral particles are transported on droplets emitted by people who are infected.

Masks work, quite well.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 8/17/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I never said any of those block CV19. Said it like 4 or 5 times that they would make it through.

They disrupt the carrier (droplets) and since they don't really look like a chain-link fence the CV-19 particles, or other particles, don't just keep on flying. That is where your analogy is wrong.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
Question

Do we dispose of the masks in sealed biohazard containers, because it’s such a deadly virus, or do we just biff them in the trash?

Apparently you're supposed to just simply dispose of them on the ground in the parking lot when leaving whatever big name store you just left.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   
So, apparently woke people feel the need to wear masks because they forgot how to cover their mouths and noses when sneezing.

Go figure.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

And talking.
advances.sciencemag.org...

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Yes. To reduce the number and velocity of droplets emitted into the environment.

Both bacilli and viral particles are transported on droplets emitted by people who are infected.

Masks work, quite well.

They are specifically made to block the size of particle Staph is......it does not block Covid. This is why n95 masks and above went into shortage at the start.

I am sure you remember the notifications that n95 and above should be reserved for medical professionals.....can't recall the last surgery I saw where the surgeon or nurses just pulled their scrubs up over their nose and went for it.

The standard medical mask doesn't cut the mustard. And there are no recent studies on any mask levels stopping Covid....they all just say they used a mask.

Feel free to point me to a study that proves it wrong.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:30 PM
link   

a reply to: CraftyArrow

I wash mine, and replace the folded paper towel insert. But even if I didn't it would still reduce the number and velocity of droplets I expel into the environment.

Majority of the time your droplets will be all over your body, again the mask is useless.

Paper towel inserts would be 100% useless against aerosol transmission.

Your best protection against Covid is your immune system.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
I never said any of those block CV19. Said it like 4 or 5 times that they would make it through.

They disrupt the carrier (droplets) and since they don't really look like a chain-link fence the CV-19 particles, or other particles, don't just keep on flying. That is where your analogy is wrong.

So.....smaller particles of something just get stuck on larger ones and don't travel through based on filtration level?

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:32 PM
link   

They are specifically made to block the size of particle Staph is.

Source?

People do not expel individual bacilli or virus particles. These things exist in mucus. People expel droplets of mucus upon which the contaminants ride. That is how the disease is transmitted.

You said so yourself.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Being not a big mask person, I disagree with the OPs article. Masks do reduce the spread of particles... It is just common sense and laser tests show a rather big reduction in particle spread when using any kind of mask.

Now how do we compare the effectiveness to just maintaining 6 feet, being concern not to get into large groups, how much more do you touch your face with a mask...I'm constantly adjusting mine. We do not know...We do know that Americans are one of the highest mask wearers in the world right now. I hardly see anyone without one these days, so is it a moot point?

Biden wants to mandate a 3 month federal mask wearing...Well first most Americans already wear them, and how does the feds enforce it? Do we not send in feds to protect fed buildings, but send in feds to police mask wearing...lol

Oh and it would also be unconstitutional to do as Trump has said...geez...

edit on 17-8-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

We do know that Americans are one of the highest mask wearers in the world right now.

Source?

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: research100
A nice thought... but unfortunately people won’t listen. They don’t care. If it makes them uncomfortable they have no interest in doing their part.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   

People do not expel individual bacilli or virus particles. These things exist in mucus. People expel droplets of mucus upon which the contaminants ride. That is how the disease is transmitted.

Phage you are wrong... People expel one micro virus at a time...not lumped into a large mucus blob that the mask would catch...lol

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Still not getting it.

They travel through. They just don't fly through and continue through the air like water through a chain-link fence.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   

In summary, our measurements provide a quick and cost-effective way to estimate the efficacy of masks for retaining droplets emitted during speech for droplet sizes larger than 0.5 μm.

That is not a large blob.

advances.sciencemag.org...

A cotton mask is good.
A surgical mask is better.
An N95 is best.

link   

They are specifically made to block the size of particle Staph is.

Source?

You said so yourself.

Here is one, but please don't act like you don't know why medical masks came about.

Bacteria filtration efficiency in vitro (BFE). This test works by shooting an aerosol with staphylococcus aureus bacteria at the mask at 28.3 liters per minute. This ensures the mask can catch the percentage of bacteria it’s supposed to.

www.thomasnet.com...

They are specifically made to catch "most" of the staph....there are still plenty who get it during a surgery.

Staph is larger than Covid-19......they do not "catch" it.

link   

Source?

NYT?

Pretty convincing...

My area is listed at 60% and I would say it is 95% or higher...

edit on 17-8-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
Still not getting it.

They travel through. They just don't fly through and continue through the air like water through a chain-link fence.

Oh....I get it....it is why I still grind any dense horn or wood with a n99 mask. If I didn't, I would be coughing up black chunks at this point.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:45 PM
link   

An image is not a source and this is what you said:

We do know that Americans are one of the highest mask wearers in the world right now.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join