It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern delays election over Covid-19

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
a reply to: chr0naut

In a bad position?

Concerned he might lose?

You’re delusional. And wrong. Maybe turn off channel one news.

Since the general vote counts for nothing and is over-ridden by the electoral college votes, that is where you need to look. Also, nullifies the effect of possible vote fraud if it doesn't actually do anything but hide the fact that the people don't actually decide who the President will be.

The electoral college elects the President, and that can more easily be manipulated.

Right now, our model thinks Joe Biden is very likely to beat Donald Trump in the electoral college. - The Economist

How unpopular is Donald Trump - Five Thirty Eight

Maybe turn off Faux News?

edit on 17/8/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

In a bad position?

Concerned he might lose?

You’re delusional. And wrong. Maybe turn off channel one news.

Right now, our model thinks Joe Biden is very likely to beat Donald Trump in the electoral college. - The Economist

How unpopular is Donald Trump - Five Thirty Eight

Maybe turn off Faux News?

Ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa!!!

Yep. Delusional

And yet 99.96% is a very low survival rate, right?

Never cease to amaze
edit on 17 8 2020 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: shooterbrody

Lol
Sure thing
Lol
Who gets to decide " the right reasons"?
Lol

Jacinda Ardern suggested it for her Country Trump suggested it for himself ... you tell me what the right reasons are.

Er ... Lol.

For "himself"?
Really?

Whatever you say...........

(post by shooterbrody removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

The US election date is pretty much set in stone, the New Zealand election isn't.

An alternative date has already been agreed, who knows when the next Presidential election will take place if Trump get's his way?

Trump is the incumbent POTUS and for whatever reason he is the one who first mentioned delaying the US election, his opponents disagree with him. In New Zealand opposition parties believe standing PM Jacinda Ardern and her Labour Party have an unfair advantage if the election goes ahead on the scheduled date and THEY requested a delay to which Ardern has agreed - completely different to the US scenario.

Trump's suggestion was based on alleged mail fraud, there is no insinuation whatsoever of election fraud in New Zealand.

The two are completely and totally different.
If you can not see that then I'm afraid that says far more about you and your locked in and biased persepctive than it does anything else.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

Bow down before the one you serve.
You're going to get what you deserve.

NIN

In New Zealand, the PM is the top public servant.

I am from the public.

That would mean she serves me.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

(post by chr0naut removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: Muninn

Bow down before the one you serve.
You're going to get what you deserve.

NIN

In New Zealand, the PM is the top public servant.

I am from the public.

That would mean she serves me.

Sure, you keep telling yourself that.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Yeah

Sure he is

Did channel one tell you that?

Pffft

I don't really watch free to air TV.

I prefer to choose my entertainment (I have a preference for Sci-Fi) and get feeds of news and commentary from online sources, from around the world. I tend to avoid US news sources, though, because they are so clearly partisan and usually are irrelevant to me.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   
As people are blatantly ignoring the actual reasons behind the delay in order to play their pathetic games of political baiting and sniping here is the rationale behind the delay:

The prime minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern, has postponed the country's general election by a month amid a spike in coronavirus cases.

The vote was due to take place on 19 September but will now be held on 17 October instead.

Ms Ardern said on Monday that the new date would allow parties "to plan around the range of circumstances we will be campaigning under".

Earlier this week, the country's largest city went back into lockdown.

"This decision gives all parties time over the next nine weeks to campaign and the Electoral Commission enough time to ensure an election can go ahead," Ms Ardern said, adding that she had "absolutely no intention" of allowing any further delays to the vote.

The opposition National Party has argued the election should be delayed as restrictions on campaigning mean Ms Ardern had an unfair advantage.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

And Trump suggested elections be delayed until this oh-so-dangerous virus was under control so people could vote at voting stations

And the reeeeeeeaction from the lowest of IQ’s was very different

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

Here's what Trump said, verbatim.

With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???

Nothing whatsoever about health reasons or him having any alleged unfair advantage and his opponents certainly didn't raise the idea first.
Completely different scenario's.

Maybe I struggle with English comprehension but it seems to me that the ONLY reason he gives for delaying the election is alleged and/or perceived 'Mail-In Voting.
Please show me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and no mention of alternative date......not that it would be legal as far as I am aware under US Law.
edit on 17/8/20 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

“Properly, securely and SAFELY”

SAFE from what?????

Oh that’s right. The EXACT thing that communist Adern is afraid of, an innocuous virus.

And if he’s worried about voter fraud, isn’t that a good thing? Why would someone be opposed to combating fraud?

Either way. It was merely a suggestion on his part. And the reeeeeaction was pathetic.

I’m sure he would have come up with a date if he had delayed the elections. Do you think he wouldn’t? Why would you think that?

Don’t worry though, four more years and he’s gone for good.
edit on 17 8 2020 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Here's what Trump said, verbatim.

With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???

Nothing whatsoever about health reasons or him having any alleged unfair advantage and his opponents certainly didn't raise the idea first.
Completely different scenario's.

Maybe I struggle with English comprehension but it seems to me that the ONLY reason he gives for delaying the election is alleged and/or perceived 'Mail-In Voting.
Please show me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and no mention of alternative date......not that it would be legal as far as I am aware under US Law.

You're wrong here: "Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???" when you claim "Nothing whatsoever about health reasons"

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Wow, New Zealand actually has a sane prime Minister who is concerned for the voters votes being registered right. Funny our government isn't concerned about that kind of stuff.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

“Properly, securely and SAFELY”

SAFE from what?????

According to the tone and actual wording of Trump's tweet - beggars belief that POTUS airs policy suggestions via Twitter but hey, if you guys are ok with it - I think it's pretty #ing safe to say he means 'properly, secured, and SAFELY' from Mail-In Voting fraud.

Oh that’s right. The EXACT thing that communist Adern is afraid of, an innocuous virus.

Please show me how that is what he meant?
Yet again we have people trying to tell us what Trump meant as if they have some sort of inside line on his intentions and beliefs.
The words speak for themselves.

I personally don't think Ardern is a 'communist', but so what if she is?
Aren't the Kiwi's allowed to elect whover they chose to?

And if he’s worried about voter fraud, isn’t that a good thing? Why would someone be opposed to combating fraud?

I don't know enough about the alleged Mail-In Voting fraud to give any sort of informed opinion.....that's up to you guys to decide.
But I do know Trump has had four years to do something about yet waits till the eve of the election before doing something.
I guess we may have different opions about the reason why.

Either way. It was merely a suggestion on his part. And the reeeeeaction was pathetic.

Maybe.
But who knows where it might have gone if the suggestion had gained a bit more support.
Because it didn't get much support, at all, many of his supporters are now scrambling to excuse away his musings as yet another example of his '4d chess games'.

I’m sure he would have come up with a date if he had delayed the elections. Do you think he wouldn’t? Why would you think that?

I don't think he's allowed to move it.
If he was to do so it would require alterations to the US Constitution etc that so many of you allege to hold so dear.

Don’t worry though, four more years and he’s gone for good.

Again, that's up to the US election system......and if that's how you vote and decide then that is entirely up to you, as it should be.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Read those words in context to the tone and wording of the whole text.....it implies nothing but safety from fraud.

Which if true he should have addressed a long time ago and not waited until the eve of the election.

edit on 17/8/20 by Freeborn because: spelling

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join