It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Stroke Warning Signs Often Occur Hours Or Days Before Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
A stroke occurs when the flow of blood to a part of the brain is cut off. This can be due to something (usually a blood clot) blocking the flow of blood to the brain (ischemic stroke). It can also be caused by a burst blood vessel bleeding into the brain (hemorrhagic stroke). About 80% of strokes are ischemic and 20% are hemorrhagic. Without a blood supply, the brain cells in the affected area start to die.

Now we are being told that warning signs of an ischemic stroke may be evident up to seven days before an attack, according to a stuffy of stroke patients which was published in Neurology in March. Neurology is a scientific journal of the American Academy of Neurology.

www.sciencedaily.com
The study examined 2,416 people who had experienced an ischemic stroke. In 549 patients, TIAs were experienced prior to the ischemic stroke and in most cases occurred within the preceding seven days: 17 percent occurring on the day of the stroke, 9 percent on the previous day, and 43 percent at some point during the seven days prior to the stroke.

"We have known for some time that TIAs are often a precursor to a major stroke," said study author Peter M. Rothwell, MD, PhD, FRCP, of the Department of Clinical Neurology at Radcliffe Infirmary in Oxford, England. "What we haven't been able to determine is how urgently patients must be assessed following a TIA in order to receive the most effective preventive treatment. This study indicates that the timing of a TIA is critical, and the most effective treatments should be initiated within hours of a TIA in order to prevent a major attack."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So when people experience these ‘warning’ signs, which can consist of; “a transient ischemic attack (TIA), a "warning stroke" or "mini-stroke" that shows symptoms similar to a stroke, typically lasts less than five minutes and does not injure the brain”, they can go to a hospital urgently and seek medical attention. My only argument to this is that if anyone did suffer from a ‘mini-stroke’, surely they would seek medical attention immediately anyway?

Related News Links:
www.aan.com
www.sciencedaily.com

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

phixion said - My only argument to this is that if anyone did suffer from a ‘mini-stroke’, surely they would seek medical attention immediately anyway?

I know when my MIL had her stroke she didn't even know it --she was mad because I turned around from our shopping trip and took her to her doctor then across the street to the hospital. I don't think she has forgiven me yet and that was years ago and when she has had TIAs she isn't aware of them at all either. Which makes me wonder how many other people aren't aware when it happens either.

jm

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
from my understanding, TIA's are indicative by slurred speech, brain farts (lapses), temporary loss of balance, vision quirks...ect
under these symptoms... i have about 20 TIA's per day...
so does that mean i am a walking/driving time bomb?

BliTilYburP...sorry just had another...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Looks like many people just accept the symptoms (TIA's don't always end in a major stroke) - and get on with their lives. Those that do seek medical care are often treated like they have psychological or drug problems, and sent home - often to have a major stroke the next day. ....Seems this kind of press is meant to educate doctors as much as patients.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by soficrow]

top topics

join