It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a UFO over Florida?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
So I was wanting to try out my camera on my new Iphone 11 this week. Getting up for work early i saw a cresent moon and venus in the morning sky and decided to get a shot. Here is the original pic.

Later that day in the evening I looked at the pic, enlarging it on my PC to try to gage the resolution. It was then that I notice a fuzzy spec half way between Venus and the treeline. It appears to be bluish and almost tranparent, and triangular in shape. Here is the enlarged image.

It is not a lens flare, and I don't believe its some kind of light artifact, although I suppose its possible it could be. There were no light sources on the ground that correspond to this. The interesting thing is when I took the picture, nothing like this was visible in the field of view. Anyway its kind of strange so I thought I would post it.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

It is not a lens flare

It certainly appears to be an internal camera reflection

There were no light sources on the ground that correspond to this.
The Moon is the light source.

You didn't see it because it was only in your camera.

edit on 8/15/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It is not a lens flare

It certainly appears to be.

There were no light sources on the ground that correspond to this.
The Moon is the light source.

I dont believe it is because I think if it was it would appear closer to the two visible light sources in the picture. But I concede its possible. I have to say though I have never seen a triangular lens flare personally.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 08:15 PM
link   

It looks like an inverted image of the Moon. An internal reflection. Such things are also dependent upon the lens itself.

Notice how the reflection and the Moon are equidistant from the center of the image, on a line that passes through all three.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It is not a lens flare

It certainly appears to be an internal camera reflection

You didn't see it because it was only in your camera.

Agreed. It's a reflection that will not be landing any time soon.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Just in case you need to verify any UFO phenomena.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Source?
But speaking of weather balloons:
Classic Thread

Be sure to get to page 3, and the end.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Yep, gotta agree with Phage, reflection/lens flare.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Not an expert but the greenish color gives it away as a artifact of the lens coating. Have the same green artifacts from my older coated glass safety glasses.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

you can also clearly see it's the same shape as the moon also, just inverted.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
It is not a lens flare.
It is definitely a lens flare, the most common type, a reflection about the optical center.

originally posted by: openminded2011
I dont believe it is because I think if it was it would appear closer to the two visible light sources in the picture.
That's not how lens flares usually work,they are usually on the opposite side of the photo, not close to the source.

But I concede its possible. I have to say though I have never seen a triangular lens flare personally.
See examples below, the flares in the post by elevenaugust are sort of triangular, they can appear somewhat conical too, they can have various shapes and colors.

Caelestia explains the textbook lens flare geometry seen in your photo, and they provide other examples:

www.caelestia.be...

Lens flares can make very convincing UFOs. Fortunately, they are easy to identify as both the light source and its reflected image are usually located on a line that crosses the centre of the photograph and at equal distances from that centre (how lens flares can be identified is illustrated in some of our case examples).

There are lots of threads on ATS about lens flare, here's a pretty good post that references the ipaco.fr resource on image analysis, which is informative about lens flare and gives an even more detailed, but similar explanation of the geometry as caelestia.:

www.ipaco.fr...

originally posted by: elevenaugust

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
But until I see detailed explanation to explain HOW it happened, then it's just a hypothesis...no matter who offers it up. At least that's how I roll....

Here you go:

Extracted from "analysis methodology" here

If we apply this to your photo, it's evident that this is a lens flare with picture’s optical center matches its geometrical center:

originally posted by: elevenaugust
reply to post by againuntodust

Yes, it's a lens flare.

One simple way to detect such flare anomalies is to draw two diagonal lines to determine the center of the photo, the flare is generally located at the opposite side of its source, through the central point, also called point reflection (or inversion through a point, or central inversion).

Similar samples:

edit on 2020816 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   
For a $1,000 phone you’d think it would take better photos.

The cynical in me sorry, I’m just pissed my 7 year old iPhone is taking a dump.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
For a $1,000 phone you’d think it would take better photos.

The cynical in me sorry, I’m just pissed my 7 year old iPhone is taking a dump.

Nothing wrong with it. It's just the way the lenses are set up. You can find Ol' Greeny the Flare on nearly one UFO photo submission to MUFON every day.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Thank ALL of you for the informative and intelligent responses. I am leaning towards a lens flare now.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

The fourth picture you posted, the one with the lights on the ground in front of the building, and the reflections in the sky.
I have seen this same scenario illustrating how the famous UFO's over the White House picture was actually created. The debunk says the lights on the front property of the White House were mirrored in the dark sky above, and they were the real "UFO's"

Still conjecture. They said there was a movie but wonder if that was a hoax.

Lens artifacts are probably responsible for many "UFO's", where the background or foreground contains many brightly lit objects.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
a reply to: Arbitrageur

The fourth picture you posted, the one with the lights on the ground in front of the building, and the reflections in the sky.
I have seen this same scenario illustrating how the famous UFO's over the White House picture was actually created. The debunk says the lights on the front property of the White House were mirrored in the dark sky above, and they were the real "UFO's"
The debunk is of the photo, which wasn't from 1952, it was taken much later.

They said there was a movie but wonder if that was a hoax.
see link above, it was a dramatization for a documentary, there was no real movie.

Lens artifacts are probably responsible for many "UFO's", where the background or foreground contains many brightly lit objects.
The official explanation for the UFOs over Washington DC was that weather was a factor. Some people like to ridicule this explanation, but it actually makes sense and is consistent with evidence like this:

Washington DC UFOs 1952

Samford also stated that the unknown radar targets could be explained by temperature inversion, which was present in the air over Washington on both nights the radar returns were reported...

The bomber was vectored several times by National Airport over unknown targets on the airport's radarscopes, yet the crew could see nothing unusual. Finally, as a crew member related, "the radar had a target which turned out to be the Wilson Lines steamboat trip to Mount Vernon... the radar was sure as hell picking up the steamboat."[25] Air Force Captain Harold May was in the radar center at Andrews AFB during the sightings of July 19–20. Upon hearing that National Airport's radar had picked up an unknown object heading in his direction, May stepped outside and saw "a light that was changing from red to orange to green to red again...at times it dipped suddenly and appeared to lose altitude." However, May eventually concluded that he was simply seeing a star that was distorted by the atmosphere, and that its "movement" was an illusion.

That's actually consistent with a "weather" explanation and there were abnormally high temperatures around the times of the UFO sightings. Those explanations have nothing at all to do with lens flare. Nobody has ever produced any photos from 1952 of the UFOs over Washington DC.

edit on 2020817 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

top topics

join