It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ummm... OK... California does it again...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Just when I thought we had seen the absolutely worst ideas ever proposed, someone comes up with a new zinger.

Hopefully there are enough neurons left among the leadership in California to strike this craziness down, but then again... you never know.

Cavuto presses California assemblyman over wealth tax plan amid millionaire 'jailbreak' from Golden State

Yeah, it's Fox (actually Fox Business; I caught the blurb on Fox and looked it up) but Rob Bonta actually does admit that his plan would tax wealthy individuals even if they left the state! I checked several other links, but apparently only Fox cares enough about that aspect of the plan to report on it. Everyone else seems to be giving Bonta a pass.

Now, it's bad enough IMO to even pass this crazy idea of a "wealth tax"... "how dare you be successful! Give us your money!"... but the very idea of a tax following you after you leave the jurisdiction is beyond credulity. When I started my business back in the late 80s, I paid for a business license in the city I started it in. About ten years later, due to the neighborhood deteriorating and me not wanting my kids to become junkies by the time they were 8, I moved back home... and I took my business with me! I moved the whole thing, lock, stock, and barrel, back home, changed phone numbers (that was an advertising nightmare! Thank goodness the 800 number transferred OK), changed official addresses, everything. The next year, I got a bill from the city it used to be in. I sent back a note explaining that I no longer had any offices in their city and that the business had moved to a new jurisdiction. Their reply? A threat to pull my business license that I had already cancelled!

I see this as similar. It's one thing to operate in an area and that area continue to charge taxes based on your operation there, but when you leave? What happens when someone leaves California for, say, New York, and New York implements a wealth tax? Now you pay two wealth taxes! OK, OK, I get it that everyone hates people who have money today, but can we at least agree that double taxation is wrong at least?

Can we agree that not being a Californian means not having to pay California taxes?

Are we approaching a time when one is forever locked to a state because they were born there?

I'm honestly hoping this is just another Fox right-wing call to arms and this is not what it seems... I can't seem to find anything to verify that though. If someone here can, I would appreciate it and will gladly admit I fell for a line.

TheRedneck

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Sadly enough it's TRUE but I doubt it would hold up in court. Democrat policy drives businesses away and their money with it. It's just their next plan to try to steal your money even if you no longer live there.

Also if you moved away and they still taxes you that would be taxation without representation or some such thing we fought a war about.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   
If they need money they should just rob every kids lemonade stand.

At gunpoint!

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   
A tax wall to keep people locked in 😎

❌Komrade Kancel Kulture❌

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Its like the old saying... "The beatings will continue until morale improves". They just don't get it... Pick any liberal city and it is the same in they get expensive and then complain about the rich not paying "their fair share" and who is at fault for the failings of the city.

No wonder why Texas keeps looking better and better every day, AND its in the middle of the country...win win.

edit on 15-8-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Yep, there's a reason it isn't called Taxes. California seems doomed to self-destruction.

Cheers

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

That's a large part of what worries me. People in these areas voted idiots in who have these wild ideas... when those people leave because they have soiled their own beds, they take those ideologies with them. If too many migrate to Texas, Texas will become the new California.

It is much like a cancer... one area is afflicted, but then it starts to spread more cancer throughout the body until finally, the entire body is cancerous.

There is an old saying down here in Alabama: Yankees come down to visit. Damn Yankees come down here and stay. It just emphasizes that too many people coming into an area tend to turn that area into the exact same crapfest they left because it was too crappy. Come down here and accept that you are moving into a new culture that you might have to adapt to, and everyone is fine... welcome! Come down here and think that we are going to adapt to your culture you just left, and you're not going to do well... GO HOME YANKEE! You just became an invasive species.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   
the internationalists want to steal every penny they can from us.
they are penny grubbers lol.
money lenders gotta lend, money lenders gotta steal.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   

That is a great assessment on immigration.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
GO HOME YANKEE! You just became an invasive species.

TheRedneck

They sure cause inflation... Think of houses in Texas going up to 500k as an average.

The only people moving are those who can financially move, and the 50%+ of the population in these cities that are basically a negative tax for the city will just stay there and rot with the city.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   

They sure cause inflation

Of course they do! Not only do they drive up the demand for goods, but most are used to the outrageous prices they left. Right now, the average home in my area goes for $60-80k. We have a few that top $100k, even a couple mansions that top $500k, but these are for the upper class families. Inside a city, you'll have a decent yard; outside the city expect to get a couple acres if land at least. Someone moves in who is used to the average home being in the $200k range, and suddenly the prices start up... the homeowners who are selling realize these outsiders will pay more and the outsiders moving in are having reverse sticker shock. The outsiders are happy; the home sellers are happy; everyone else gets the shaft... home prices go up, rent follows, and pay stays the same because the outsiders are retirees usually who aren't going to bring any jobs with them.

We do get some moving in who are not like that (one notable recent import who is on ATS). They move in, look around, realize that things are different, and adjust. No one here has any problem with that. We're generally proud of our home and look at newcomers as improvements to our way of life. I just so many wouldn't bring their ideologies with them and try to "save" us from ourselves. We are also proud of our culture, and would like to keep part of it.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Bezos won't have to pay the wealth tax though. They will leave loopholes so that those who support the Democratic party can get by without much of a tax increase, but all of his workers will have to pay.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

We do get some moving in who are not like that (one notable recent import who is on ATS). They move in, look around, realize that things are different, and adjust. No one here has any problem with that. We're generally proud of our home and look at newcomers as improvements to our way of life. I just so many wouldn't bring their ideologies with them and try to "save" us from ourselves. We are also proud of our culture, and would like to keep part of it.

TheRedneck

Ya so a person from CA who has 400k+ in capital gains start to look for a house to dump that into.

Where I live just over the state line in WA from Portland we been seeing a influx of CA to here and house prices are crazy, and not only that but builders start to build 6000+ sqft houses to get those millions coming from CA in a population that family income is less than 60k per year.

Then HEB starts to carry all those expensive water bottles, meats, specialty foods that CA buys and you go to the local HEB and see prices closer to CA than TX...rinse and repeat over and over while the Texas population is still well under 60k per family.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Bezos won't have to pay the wealth tax though. They will leave loopholes so that those who support the Democratic party can get by without much of a tax increase, but all of his workers will have to pay.

Bezos owns 16% of Amazon and that is most of his worth. In the past he most likely sold off stock for cash and that would have been capital gains tax of about 20%, not too bad, but his salary is like only 80k per year. He has 10s of billions already taxed and the rest is stock that would not be taxed until it is sold, so no real loophole here for him to use other than he has already been taxed with what he has.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm broke so I am hoping they do not come after me. When I leave... Soon... very soon...
edit on 8 15 2020 by cre8chaos because: Added some more.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   

There is an old saying down here in Alabama: Yankees come down to visit. Damn Yankees come down here and stay. It just emphasizes that too many people coming into an area tend to turn that area into the exact same crapfest they left because it was too crappy. Come down here and accept that you are moving into a new culture that you might have to adapt to, and everyone is fine... welcome! Come down here and think that we are going to adapt to your culture you just left, and you're not going to do well... GO HOME YANKEE! You just became an invasive species.

Not unlike our beloved extremist Islamic congress-women who seem hell-bent on wanting to turn this country into the sh#thole countries they fled from in the first place!

I really don't get it.

Are they that stupid or are they just totally under the thumbs of their terrorist masters back in the MIddle East?

That's not a rhetorical question by the way. I'm flummoxed by their zealous, righteous, stupidity...

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   

This is a proposed 'WEALTH tax', not an increase in INCOME tax for the wealthy.

It is essentially a property tax on all real estate, stocks, bonds, cash, etc, every year, for those with a high net worth (not necessarily a high CURRENT YEAR income).

This wealth tax DOES apply to income that has already been taxed, and it DOES apply to the value of currently owned stocks.

Bezos would be taxed for his entire net worth every year, in addition to regular income & cap gain taxes.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   

This means that California can tax anyone even if they don't live in the state.

Definitely illegal.

But if Biden's elected, it'll probably become a federal tax.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   
California has the same list of demands as bLack lives matter: “gibs me dat”

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So would they have representation in office still after they have left the state of California and are continued to be taxed or will there be taxation without ...? While I might agree with the idea the .1% upper tier of wealth has more to give, and benefits the most from the current systems and therefor should give back into it, I think it should be fair and measured not a punishment!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join