It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Data Mining Mitigation Inquiry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
How do I set up internet anonymously from home. If all my data goes through anything related to the isp, how can I be anonymous using vpns or whatever. If I have Comcast and whatever I’m accessing uses Comcast, how can Comcast not know who I am and who I’m talking to. I’m literate, but not in regards to practical application of this subject.

I want to set up internet at my residence. I want to be as anonymous as can be. If I have to use a different OS, so be it.

If anyone can explain what steps need to be taken, and why/how they work together, that would be a lot of help.

I am basically under the impression that if I purchase internet with my name at my address, that any data that enters or leaves is mine, and how do they not know who I’m sending/receiving from if they’re the ones redirecting the traffic.

Thanks in advance.

Mods, you know the drill.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MrEnergy

My best guess would be TOR and a VPN.

As you increase security you lose convenience though.

The best OS would be Linux. There are a few flavors made just for what you want.

edit on 15-8-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

These are things that I’ve heard to do. But what I don’t understand is how I can be anonymous while paying a monthly internet bill. I get going to a coffee shop, boot up tails or kali. Spoof MAC address. Vpn. Tor/I2P. Your pretty anonymous at that point. My question is in regards to personal residence. How can data not be collected on me while at the same time claiming ownership over incoming and outgoing data.

If I’m not making sense, or I’m not thinking about it right, please correct me.

And to be clear, I’m not interested in anything nefarious. My primary concern is that private data is being collected on all of us to manipulate us not only on a collective level, but individually too. I’m putting my foot down. I am a human being and my individuality is not a commodity to be exploited.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrEnergy
a reply to: LookingAtMars

These are things that I’ve heard to do. But what I don’t understand is how I can be anonymous while paying a monthly internet bill. I get going to a coffee shop, boot up tails or kali. Spoof MAC address. Vpn. Tor/I2P. Your pretty anonymous at that point. My question is in regards to personal residence. How can data not be collected on me while at the same time claiming ownership over incoming and outgoing data.

If I’m not making sense, or I’m not thinking about it right, please correct me.

And to be clear, I’m not interested in anything nefarious. My primary concern is that private data is being collected on all of us to manipulate us not only on a collective level, but individually too. I’m putting my foot down. I am a human being and my individuality is not a commodity to be exploited.

You can't be anonymous from home unless you fabricate documents to obtain the account, but it's still not really anonymous. I assume everything is watched and tracked. The only way to win the game is to remove yourself from it.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 01:49 AM
link   

a vpn (virtual private netword) to a third party, encrypts all data between your computer and where the vpn is housed. So as long as the vpn provider doesnt allow governments to look at their records then any traffic sent from your computer to the vpn is said to be anonymous. I used a vpn in sweden to try get around blocking of youtube in thailand and was happily viewing youtube until they woke up that my traffic was going to a vpn site so they simply blocked the vpn site. I setup a personal vpn on a private server I had at a server farm which they never tried to block.

Becaise of 911 I suspect many vpn providers will open their records to governments if governments suspect traffic might be from terrorist. I also wouldnt be surprized if NSA can decrypt encryption levels used by majority of vpn's. So using encryption to hide your traffic might send alerts to big brother that you have something to hide.

Bottom line, if you want to be totally anonymous you will need live on a deserted island.

edit on 15-8-2020 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

I keep seeing people reply in other posts about beachfront property on the moon and Mars. I’ll have to give it some serious thought now.

But in the mean time, if I can’t be completely anonymous, can I at least obfuscate the data? And if one could obfuscate the data, would that directly affect their ability to manipulate me or would it be just unusable data?

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 03:05 AM
link   

a reply to: glend

I keep seeing people reply in other posts about beachfront property on the moon and Mars. I’ll have to give it some serious thought now.

But in the mean time, if I can’t be completely anonymous, can I at least obfuscate the data? And if one could obfuscate the data, would that directly affect their ability to manipulate me or would it be just unusable data?

The only way for you to stop yourself from being manipulated is by using logic and reason. With or without your data they're going to be trying to manipulate you.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 03:44 AM
link   
As long as you go through just 1 layer 3 switch/router , you cannot be anonymous.
And everyone does.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 04:23 AM
link   

You can encrypt data and send keys to receiver so they can decrypt the data. 1024 bit encryption is reasonably safe.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 04:57 AM
link   

My primary concern is that private data is being collected on all of us to manipulate us not only on a collective level, but individually too. I’m putting my foot down. I am a human being and my individuality is not a commodity to be exploited.

Running a very tight OS and a VPN is about all you can do, short of getting rid of your devices.

But even then they will still be collecting data on you. From you power bill, driving habits and many other ways.

So you are going to need to go off grid in a deep underground bunker.

Got to find the balance of security vs convenience.

edit on 15-8-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 05:57 AM
link   

My question is in regards to personal residence. How can data not be collected on me while at the same time claiming ownership over incoming and outgoing data.

You can't, as they can at least know that you are using a VPN or a TOR entry point at that specific time, even if they cannot know what you are really seeing.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   

You need a dedicated, isolated network that can cyber itself....but what about the towers? How would you link out..with-out? Gotta connect to the "system"...somewhere rt?

Even VPN or private ..how to you cyberwise leave your network...without creating and depending on he infrasystem...to get you outta the damn house?

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Thanks everyone.
So, common consensus is that there really is no privacy when it come to anything connected to the Internet.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   
With VPN's its got rather quiet from the spooks moaning about how they can't access the data so I'd say they can get and read your data. Probably not in real time but can rebuild the data stream from captured packets but the effort would be wasted for the average joe just looking to bypass youtube to watch a few cat videos and generally what goes in must come out somewhere and we just know most VPN companies will of been visited by men in dark suits from whatever country they're in and asked probably to pop a few boxes onto their network and mirror all the traffic to them and not ask any more questions.

Quite often the old methods are easier and more effective aka put a small camera/mic in the house facing the screen and watch real time without having to really put in any effort other than breaking in when you are out.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Thanks everyone.
So, common consensus is that there really is no privacy when it come to anything connected to the Internet.

It's called a "net" for that reason

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

No.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Ok... Explain. Thanks

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

The Internet, sometimes called just "net", is a huge group of computer networks interconnected between them.

Computer networks are groups of computers connected to each other in (usually) a non-hierarchical way, so each computer (a node in the network) can contact any other computer.

The name has nothing to do with how it is used, only to how it was created.

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Sadly...you stated perfectly...exactly as I kinda meant! Sorry, not well

The "net" effect of linking this w that, kids, home, work, friend, doc sites, searches, etc, etc, and it all...is intense, complete, lines between lines between..well. I don't have to tell you...

And we believe our passworded, encrypted world is safe? The links grow...it's in our faces shooting off in all our info like links...in a net.

Hey, thank you ..and stay well.....MS

Thank you

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Well, nobody is forcing people to put their information on the Internet.

Yes, for some things people need to have Internet access today, but they do not have to share their private information.
In my case, if I search for my real name I cannot find one single reference to me. If I use an abbreviated form of my name then I can find thousands of results, with a few really about me, but people have to know me to know that those refer to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join