It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fauci says there is 'no reason' Americans can't vote in person

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

Yes, a mask alone is scant protection from droplets expelled by others. Like your source says. That's why full PPE involves face shields and gowns and gloves.

But it is effective at reducing the amount of droplets expelled and the distance which they travel. Thus reducing the chances of infection from an infected person. Which is the point.

That's why surgeons wears masks. To protect their patients.

www.wired.com...

edit on 8/14/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

" The risk "

I'm a hang glider pilot. Have been for almost 50 years.
I understand risk and risk management.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
a reply to: xuenchen

No reason for mail-in voting now.
The Dem Rats love Fauci when he disagrees with Trump, they can’t go back now.

/shrug

Sent off the MI state primary absentee ballot a while back, purely because I'm not wearing a f#ing mask at 5am while standing 6 feet apart from people while a whole f#ton of people snake sidewalks/parking lots to do the same. Sorry, but screw 'em, I'm not standing in line when we have other options.

Hubs did the same, mailed in his absentee and will do the same in November. He's at work after 4am and gets home after 6pm, he's voting absentee because, and I quote, "I'm mailing it in because I work 12+ hours and am too goddamn tired to stand in line before I even eat dinner, so # you." Seems succinct to me.

Is it a gamble to mail it in? In the more extreme minority percentage chance of ill-intent, yes -- as is everything we do. Is the odds of that enough to sway me? Nope. Don't nix my mail-in option, I more than willingly & openly admit that I AM that lazy when it comes to long-ass lines, and I WILL bitch incessantly if I ever have to stand in one again where the mailing option would have sufficed for me.

And for whatever it matters, my ballot was Repub. So eat me.
edit on 8/14/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/14/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

" The risk "

I'm a hang glider pilot. Have been for almost 50 years.
I understand risk and risk management.

So , I Must be Impressed then with that Bravado Claim here ? Well , I'm Not . You have No Idea what a Real Life Threating Risk is Pally , and Covid-19 is Not Even in the Ballpark ...... .....

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Hardly bravado. Some of my hang gliding buddies joke about how picky I am. But then, almost fifty years without anything more than a bump or bruise to show for it. Some of my buddies are no longer around. One is a paraplegic.

Risk management is a thing.

Hang gliding is much higher risk than COVID, indeed. And mask is a lot less troublesome than wearing a helmet and carrying a parachute. I don't fly barefoot, either.

edit on 8/14/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

a reply to: putnam6

Hawaii went all mail-in voting as of 2019. I wasn't all that stoked about it at the time, I like voting in person, but it turned out for the better.

The primary went quite smoothly and improved turnout greatly. Which was the intent.

Well super then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Of course, Hawaii dealing with 523,000 registered voters statewide isn't like 11 million Texans or 9 million Floridians. New York is still trying to sort out its mail-in votes...

Trying to implement an exclusive new voting procedure less than 90 days it's highly likely gonna be major errors unintentionally. Now try and convince either side if they come out on the losing side that those likely errors were unintentional. It's asking for trouble. Id rather they extend the election 2 days and even that has some serious pratfalls involved.
edit on 14-8-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ok , Story Telling Time then . I was in the U.S. Coastguard Stationed in Cape May N.J. back in 1975 , and I have been in Many Life Threating Situations in my 4 Years of Service there . My Point being , Covid-19 is no Worse than the Common Flu when it comes to Fatality Rates as a Calculated Risk Assessment . FEAR Kills More than Anything Else on this Planet as You Well Know..........

edit on 14-8-2020 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

All states have mail-in voting procedures, expanding the program is not reinventing the wheel. And as far as I can tell, those states would still have an in person voting option?

It is true though, that implementing the system sooner would have been better than later.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Wearing a mask is a very simple risk management measure.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Wearing a mask is a very simple risk management measure.

When a Situation Dictates yes ,but in other Circumstances one could Believe the Suggestion was just one of Control , and a Egotistical Display of Power over others . Wise Men can Tell the Difference , apparently you Cannot ........

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Has anyone mentioned you can go online and make sure your mail-in vote got counted?

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   

A rational person can apply critical thinking skills and understand that reducing the number and velocity of expelled droplets lowers the risk of infection.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The USPO Workers just announced that they are Voting for the Biden/Harris Ticket this Nov . . Conflict of interest there Maybe > ?

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Unions of government are, in general, problematic. Including police unions.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: xuenchen

Honestly, do you not understand what Fauchi is saying here?

Honestly no 😎

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Every State ?

Some States have mail-in ballots that need to be "requested".

Some States are mailing ballots to every single registered "voter" regardless of any verification.

Too much public confusion all at the same time 😎

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

The USPO Workers just announced that they are Voting for the Biden/Harris Ticket this Nov . . Conflict of interest there Maybe > ?

Why would that be a conflict of interest?

Just counters Trump and the Republicans efforts to interfere with mail-in votes.

Perspective.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Hang gliding is much higher risk than COVID, indeed. And mask is a lot less troublesome than wearing a helmet and carrying a parachute. I don't fly barefoot, either.

Really? Not according to this physicist

Using data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, New York City experienced approximately 24,000 excess deaths from March 15 to May 9, when the pandemic was peaking. That’s 24,000 more deaths than would have normally occurred during the same time period in previous years, without this pandemic. This statistic is considered a more accurate estimate of the overall mortality risk related to Covid-19 than using the reported number of deaths resulting from confirmed cases, since it captures indirect deaths associated with Covid-19 (because of an overwhelmed health care system, for example) as well as the deaths caused by the virus itself.

Converting this to micromort language, an individual living in New York City has experienced roughly 50 additional micromorts of risk per day because of Covid-19. That means you were roughly twice as likely to die as you would have been if you were serving in the U.S. armed forces in Afghanistan throughout 2010, a particularly deadly year.

The quality of data varies from state and state, and continues to be updated. But for comparison, using the C.D.C. data, Michigan had approximately 6,200 excess deaths during this same time period. That is roughly the same risk of dying as driving a motorcycle 44 miles every day (11 micromorts per day). Living in Maryland during this time would be roughly as risky as doing one skydiving jump a day for that duration (7 micromorts per jump).

Now, if you’re infected with the virus, your odds of dying jump dramatically. Estimates of the fatality rate vary as doctors continue to learn more about this virus and how to care for people sickened by it, but let’s assume it is 1 percent for sake of this discussion. That translates into 10,000 micromorts. That risk is comparable to your chances of dying on a climb in the Himalayas if you go above 26,000 feet, where the tallest peaks, such as Everest and K2, stand (using climbing data taken between 1990 and 2006).

But that risk estimate is for the entire population, with an average age of 38. If you happen to be older, the fatality rate can be as much as 10 times higher, which is just slightly less than flying four Royal Air Force bombing missions over Germany during World War II.

The acceptability of risk depends, of course, on one’s own attitudes and proclivity to take risks, and whether one has a choice in the matter. Unlike skydiving or hang-gliding, in which the risk is limited to the person making the leap, with Covid-19 the actions of the individual change the risk levels of everyone in the community.

So while there are many thrill seekers who happily jump out of planes, they might think twice about forcing their frail grandmothers, or their neighbors, to jump with them.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   

A rational person can apply critical thinking skills and understand that reducing the number and velocity of expelled droplets lowers the risk of infection.

Yes , and a Rational Person can also Detect a Deception when Presented with One . Ever Play Poker Mr., Bootae ? I Bet my Aces /Jacks Full House Beats your Two Pair of " Droplets " . i am Banking on the Laws of Probability to Prove me Correct here .

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Why would that be a conflict of interest?

Just counters Trump and the Republicans efforts to interfere with mail-in votes.

Perspective.

You have proof of the intent for Trump et al to interfere with mail-in voting? Please post that proof. We've already had examples of Democrats stuffing mailboxes with fake ballots, let's see what you have from the Trump administration supposedly making it impossible for Democrats to vote via mail.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join