It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famous alien-hunting telescope slashed to pieces in mysterious midnight accident

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: game over man

The Arecibo dish can't really track anything unless it is directly over Puerto Rico and stays there. It points straight up and can't be moved.

This is why you have my respect. You know your stuff despite how much you annoy people sometimes.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Could that be the source of annoyance? Sometimes?

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

The Arecibo dish can't really track anything unless it is directly over Puerto Rico and stays there. It points straight up and can't be moved.

I just commented in theory that we would track and shoot down UFO's. Arecibo tracks near earth asteroids, it definitely tracks UFOs...Lots of history at Arecibo searching for extra terrestrial life. One of the most important telescopes for the study of ET's.

They suffered destruction back in 2017 from weather, a hurricane just passed through.... If anything to get creeped out about is we might not be able to detect a massive asteroid coming to Earth.
edit on 15-8-2020 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Arecibo tracks near earth asteroids
Sort of. It does occasionally use its radar to analyze asteroids but tracking is carried out by a variety of telescopes all over the planet. The fact remains, it can only look straight up.

One of the most important satellites for the study of ET's.
Arecibo is not a satellite. (Edit noted)

edit on 8/15/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I believe if it were to detect a UFO either in Earth's atmosphere or way out in space, looking directly up, they might share this information with other telescopes.

posted on Aug, 15 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Indeed.

Any indication they have done so?

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   
With SpaceX's Starlink project (which I have witnessed on a few occasions. Truly a sight to behold), and this recent event, combined with some odd temporary shutdown of a major observatory last year, I'm starting to think someone doesn't want us to look up to the stars....

(The reason I pit Starlink in there is due to its radio signal and light pollution, It is a very real concern. Obstructions to light and signal integrity have already been observed, and I believe spaceX plans to launch thousands more).

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: iammrhappy86

Starlink satellites, like all satellites, are only visible for an hour or so before sunrise and after sunset. While there are a few observatories which specifically use this time frame, for the whole rest of the night the satellites present no problem with light pollution.

They also have nothing to do with Arecibo.

edit on 8/17/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I've built an antenna array for my HDTV, maybe if I built it bigger and pointed it up, wonder what I could detect? :O

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

It's easier to replace the racks of radio gear and reload the OS than to replace the reciever dish and mast.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Aliens probably did it , they have form for damaging infrastructure.

Either that or it's the more prosaic cable excuse given.
I live not far from those wind turbines, personally believe it was a B.A.E taranis.
edit on 18-8-2020 by F19man because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 05:55 AM
link   
OMgZ this is PROOF of DisclozurZ im prrrrooooooovvvveeen right ThaNKYOUuU them alieeeeenz R RealZ???

That’s what people always say when someone posts in these ufo forms, don’t you see aliens destroyed this telescope cause it was looking for em! They almost had the proof and the aliens took it from us! We will prove and have Disclosurz level 17 soon, this is the evidence Yessss!

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808
OMgZ this is PROOF of DisclozurZ im prrrrooooooovvvveeen right ThaNKYOUuU them alieeeeenz R RealZ???

That’s what people always say when someone posts in these ufo forms, don’t you see aliens destroyed this telescope cause it was looking for em! They almost had the proof and the aliens took it from us! We will prove and have Disclosurz level 17 soon, this is the evidence Yessss!

That's crazy talk! It was clearly a deep state op to take out a telescope that was about to sweep an area of the sky the deep state knows is full of UFO's. Get it right!

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

This reminds me of the old ATS, let the theories begin

HELL YES!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Good explanation:

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

shouldn't accept his word for anything -- always ask for a source

This allows the telescope to observe any region of the sky in a forty-degree cone of visibility about the local zenith (between −1 and 38 degrees of declination). Puerto Rico's location near the Northern Tropic allows Arecibo to view the planets in the Solar System over the Northern half of their orbit.

source

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: puzzled2

What you've quoted there doesn't contradict Phage's statement. Arecibo's dish is fixed - it can only see what is directly above it. What is directly above it changes over time as we rotate and orbit the sun. Its cone of visibility is a small area close to Earth, a large one further from Earth. 'Visibility' is used advisedly, given that it's a radio telescope, not an optical one.

edit on 20/8/2020 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: Typo

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

the dish might be fixed but

The reflector is a spherical reflector, not a parabolic reflector. To aim the device, the receiver is moved to intercept signals reflected from different directions by the spherical dish surface of 270 m (870 ft) radius.[18] A parabolic mirror would have varying astigmatism when the receiver is off the focal point, but the error of a spherical mirror is uniform in every direction.

the receiver is moved to intercept signals - if its fixed no moving if its moving over a 40 degree it not exactly Directly above as implied. But as he didn't supply a link it was a very general directly above statement.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: puzzled2

if its fixed no moving if its moving over a 40 degree it not exactly Directly above as implied.

20º from vertical.

Hold your fist, thumb up, at an arm's length. Your knuckles (all of them) represent about 10º.
Hold your thumb overhead then move it one fist's width. Draw a circle. That is not a lot of sky.

Arecibo looks straight up.

edit on 8/20/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Phage right in the source I provided it says

Originally, a fixed parabolic reflector was envisioned, pointing in a fixed direction with a 150 m (492 ft) tower to hold equipment at the focus. This design would have limited its use in other research areas, such as radar astronomy, radio astronomy and atmospheric science, which require the ability to point at different positions in the sky and track those positions for an extended time as Earth rotates.

In this case you have not provided any source for your uneducated assumption the Arecibo only looks straight up.
It clearly states it is not fixed and it has the ability to look in different directions.

Doesn't matter how far or how much it is not a fixed parabolic reflector pointing in a fixed direction.

OF cause you may have a different verifiable source that differs from Wikipedia, but as you haven't provided any ???

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join