It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigel Farage says Leave voters will not get what they voted for

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Shortened because the article title was too long:

Nigel Farage says Leave voters will not get what they voted for at end of Brexit transition period

Despite backing the Brexit deal in the European Parliament, and celebrating the start of the transition period on January 31, the leading Brexiteer has claimed supporters on January 1 next year will not get the “true freedom” that they have “fought for decades” to achieve.

Farage said the Withdrawal Agreement that his organisation backed, along with Brexiteer MPs in the House of Commons, will never leave the UK “free” as a result of the negotiated document with the EU.

Writing in the Express, he said: “My own guess is that a deal will be reached in the coming months but one in which we have continued financial liabilities through the European Investment Bank and one in which we will not truly be free in areas such as state aid.

He's not really in the wrong here. I have no doubt there were a fair amount of Brexit voters who wanted a full clean cut from the European continent, but unfortunately trade negotiations are just that, negotiations. Compromise is inevitable. The UK had 4 years worth if time to think, plan and negotiate a preferable deal. Heck, even a change in Prime Minister to appease the brexiteers further (Boris Johnson had been, and is still a consistently strong brexiteer). At what point do you start looking into reality here? As David Cameron stated in 2016 before the vote, the UK trades more with Ireland than Russia, India and Brazil combined. That's just Ireland alone, one of the smaller EU members. The trade more with your neighbors so a deal to appease both sides need to worked out, no?

Any UK ATS peeps here? I'm surprised this is still a thing?? I thought the UK was done and dusted, looking from the outside.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Not really a surprise.
Whenever you get into a bad deal there is never a clean break.
I felt the EU was a bad deal for Britain from the start.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Not really a surprise.

Well they are on higher ground here... the EU... being the largest trading block I believe, on Earth, given Britain's economic dependence to the EU. That's not to discount the EU's dependence on Britain, I think Britain is a significant partner than cannot just be pushed aside, but the EU has more cards by her side in any trade deal

There was talk about the UK moving on to a strong trade deal with the United States. The only issue is, from what I've ready, the Trump administration is far less accommodating when it comes to trade deals compared to EU. America first, all that.....

Interesting times.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   
If the people from the Uk want to be free from the EU pick up your rifles and get your freedom. Oh wait.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   
See all the migrants coming over the channel from France on the news???
Just another negotiating tool.
With CV19 we have the best opportunity to cut all ties and go on our own.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   

None of the political elite have ever supported Brexit - including Boris Johnson who only switched to 'lead' the Brexit campaign as a matter of political expeciency and personal advancement - and have always done everything possible to delay and dilute any Brexit deal.

In addition the EU has been hell bent on seeking a punitive deal rather than being conciliatory in negotiations.
They wish to deter any other member states wishing to follow the UK's lead and leave the EU.

Due to the focus everyone seems to have on the coronavirus pandemic this appears to be flying very much under the radar with only minimal reporting and publicity in MSM in the UK.

It was everyday, ordinary working class people who carried the Brexit vote and it suits the political elite, academia, MSM etc to continue this betrayal of the British people.
edit on 13/8/20 by Freeborn because: spelling, typo's.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This just shows you the inequality here:

The EU, taken as a whole is the UK's largest trading partner. In 2019, UK exports to the EU were £300 billion (43% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £372 billion (51% of all UK imports).

House of Commons Library

Also....

6.2% of purchases from the EU to the UK market, if you account for all 27 members and cooperative partners within the continental union.
edit on 13-8-2020 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   
EU is a goner...they demanded all members keep 3% growth rate nationally.....then they crawdaddyed backwards out of that like a big dog......

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I voted for brexit, and the option was simple on the ballot form

I voted for leave as stated, it appears its Nigel not getting what he wanted, which is relevance and power, hell or even a seat at the table for disxussions, as long as we leave we are getting what we voted for, I would also vote for Nigel to shut the hell up

I am sure I will be accused of lying about my vote because I dont follow the tool that is Nigel Farage

a reply to: PraetorianAZ

What and start killing people, no thanks we will leave that to Americans
edit on 13-8-2020 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   

If the people from the Uk want to be free from the EU pick up your rifles and get your freedom

I don't understand? Against who? The Boris government? The EU? Violence is never the option and from what I understand both sides are just working a preferable way to part.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKWO1Phot
See all the migrants coming over the channel from France on the news???
Just another negotiating tool.
With CV19 we have the best opportunity to cut all ties and go on our own.

Just out of curiosity. The UK doesn't want those immigrants. Neither does France. If you don't have a deal why should France stop them from leaving their country?

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Having preferential trade deals with other countries is one thing. Having Brussels dictate UK national policy is quite another. Can UK citizens fish in UK territorial waters now, or do they need the permission of the EU?

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

If the people from the Uk want to be free from the EU pick up your rifles and get your freedom. Oh wait.

Typical ATS these days.....only three posts in to the thread and we get this nonsense.

So you advocate a third world war?

And why would we need 'rifles' when we have some of the best Armed Forces in the world?

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Don't you know the UK is joined at the hip with the US? Trump isn't going to treat the UK unfairly.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

So you advocate a third world war? And why would we need 'rifles' when we have some of the best Armed Forces in the world?

I think many project their own inaction onto other nations. I see it touted if only other nations had our freedom, they wouldn't be in the mess they're in.

But obviously it doesn't work, because my nation has allowed death by a thousand cuts. I'm not anti-gun, I love the things... But I don't see how it's relevant in this instance.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: Bluntone22

Not really a surprise.

Well they are on higher ground here... the EU... being the largest trading block I believe, on Earth, given Britain's economic dependence to the EU. That's not to discount the EU's dependence on Britain, I think Britain is a significant partner than cannot just be pushed aside, but the EU has more cards by her side in any trade deal

There was talk about the UK moving on to a strong trade deal with the United States. The only issue is, from what I've ready, the Trump administration is far less accommodating when it comes to trade deals compared to EU. America first, all that.....

Interesting times.

Can you ask them to put our fish back in the ocean please?

They've been stealing them for decades...

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

And how many other civilizations has the British Empire stolen from?

How Britain stole $45 trillion from India

Glass houses. Inconvenient little things.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   

And how many other civilizations has the British Empire stolen from?

How Britain stole $45 trillion from India

Glass houses. Inconvenient little things.

Old news. This is the 21st Century bud.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   

And the UK made a choice to bind itself to Europe in the 20th Century.

Again. Glass houses.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   

And the UK made a choice to bind itself to Europe in the 20th Century.

Again. Glass houses.

The trade agreements never gave the French free reign to plunder our fisheries.

It was illegal while we were in the EU and it's illegal now.

Your glass house was shattered long ago.

I don't blame you. It's not your fault that you're a delusional globalist.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join