It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush Orders 50% Reduction in Mercury Levels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The Bush administration today announced plans for a 50% reduction of Mercury pollution by power plants. The plan outlines a gradual reduction spread over 15 years and faces oppostion from senators, environmentalists and public health advocates who claim that the plans dont go far enough. President Clinton signed bills limiting mercury pollution in the dying days of his presidency which were overturned by President Bush.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The Bush administration on Tuesday ordered a nearly 50 percent cut in mercury pollution from power plants over the next 15 years, adopting a market-based strategy that would raise electricity prices but help protect fetuses and young children from nerve damage.

"The United States is the first nation to take a leadership role in addressing the problem of mercury from power plants," said Jeffrey Holmstead, the Environmental Protection Agency's top air pollution official. EPA estimates 48 tons a year of mercury pollution from the nation's 600 coal-burning power plants will decrease to 31.3 tons in 2010, 27.9 tons in 2015 and 24.3 tons in 2020.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Whilst I applaude this and any attempts to improve the Worlds pollution situation, I cant help but feel it doesnt go far enough. To plan on 24.3 tons of mercury entering the water supply and find it acceptable is ludicrous.

I wait for the day when profits and financial interest take a back seat to the health of the populace. Advising pregnant women to avoid eating fish misses the point that the drinking water is also contaminated. The crops grown in the USA use this water and the cycle goes on and on.

A great start but more needs to be done

[edit on 15/3/05 by subz]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I guess that means that for 6 years we do nothing then we do very little, until a new President decides it's not good for the business climate and we start from zero again.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
By saying that it's a "God-given right for Americans to use SUVs", it was already clear that Bush does'nt give a sh-t about the industry polluting the atmosphere... since SUVs are by far the most air-polluting vehicles in the market.

15 years plan? Sheesh... in 15 years, at least half of the poles and glaciers of the planet will have melted! This guy has always been entangled in the oil industry for his entire life, and he rejected the Kyoto protocol -which was probably Earth's last chance to get cleaner and to slow down global warming- without even considering the arguments of the entire worldwide scientific community on global warming, so what can you expect from him in terms on saving the environment???

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I doubt financial interests will EVER take a back seat to the health of the populace - regardless of politics.

Additionally, I applaud the current administration for adopting this plan, as any move to clean things up is a step in the right direction. No doubt more needs to be done and EVERYONE can do their part in the process.

Unfortunately, many will simply resort to complaining and blaming instead of trying to see (and contribute to) the good being done. Some people make a career of pointing fingers - but virtually never at a mirror.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Now that is a mis-leading headline.

Too bad coal burning plants only produce less then 5% of mercury pollutants.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I dont know the details but it sounds like this going to work as good as a band-aid on an arterial wound. I think humans are just going to have to adapt to living in a dirty world. Oh well at least this is a start

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Well 15 years span, I guess by then all the damage will be done and we will be more and more Dependant on pharmaceuticals to keep alive.

By then it will be plenty of time for profiteers to make money out of our pain and suffering to make a killing of the American health.

Occurs we will be so sick that we will not care anymore.

SYMPTOMS OF MERCURY POISONING

1. Psychological Disturbances (erethysm)
Irritability, Nervousness, Fits of Anger, Memory Loss, Lack of Attention, Depression, Low Self Confidence, Anxiety, Drowsiness, Shyness/timidity, Decline of Intellect, Insomnia, Low Self Control

So start getting used to the symptoms they will be here for another 15 years.

www.mercury-poisoning-symptom.com...

I hope that some of you that are planning to have children remember these symptoms because it will be another 15 years to take care of it.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I remember reading that there were better regulations before, but they weren't being enforced by this administration - and this "reduction plan" is actually a step backward as far as laws go.

Does anyone else know? Have any details?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
soficrow, i think it is because the Bush administraion is hi-jacking the Clinton Clean Air act, with its "sky high" clean air act.

top topics

join