It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Fingerprint Technology Gets High-Tech Upgrade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The traditional methods for obtaining fingerprints can destroy the fingerprint for further analysis and thus making the process not that helpful in the long run. There is a new technique that uses X-rays to detect salts from a person's sweat. If conditions are right, a fingerprint can be identified without altering the sample.

www.livescience.com
Traditional methods for obtaining fingerprints, which involve powders, liquids or vapors, can destroy the print for further analysis.

A new technique uses X-rays to detect salts from a person’s sweat. If there are enough of these salty residues, a fingerprint can be identified without altering the sample.

The alternative could prove advantageous in taking prints from certain difficult substances, like paper, wood, leather, plastic, and even human skin. It may also be useful in obtaining fingerprints from children, who have less oil on their skin.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This new way of obtaining fingerprints is much better than the old way. Using the old way will not be helpful in the long run because it can destroy the print for later testing. This new way is great because it does not hard the original fingerprint. I cannot wait to see this in action on television!

Related News Links:
www.livescience.com

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Whats the benefit of preserving a fingerprint? Isnt the fact that its there and the identification of its owner the only priorities in fingerprinting? All of which is possible using current technology.

[edit on 15/3/05 by subz]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Whats the benefit of preserving a fingerprint? Isnt the fact that its there and the identification of its owner the only priorities in fingerprinting? All of which is possible using current technology.

[edit on 15/3/05 by subz]

good question...

putting the fingerprint in a computer system is a great idea (which is already happining)...

but i guess the answer is to "share" the fingerprint with other agencies or something along these lines...

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
But wouldnt the fingerprint be preserved electronically when copies are taken from the crime scene are digitised? This technology prevents the damaging of the original fingerprint at the crime scene, which serves no purpose that I can see.

In fact that the technology can facilitate the lifting of prints from human skin and other difficult surfaces is sufficient reason enough to pursue it

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I dont see how they can remove prints from human skin, wouldnt the same salts be present there too?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
But wouldnt the fingerprint be preserved electronically when copies are taken from the crime scene are digitised? This technology prevents the damaging of the original fingerprint at the crime scene, which serves no purpose that I can see.

In fact that the technology can facilitate the lifting of prints from human skin and other difficult surfaces is sufficient reason enough to pursue it

you are right...

i am not shure of the reason either...

new topics

top topics

join