It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Italy Starts Iraq Troop Withdrawal in September

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Italian Premier Berlusconi has announced that Italy will commence its withdrawl of some 3,000 troops from Iraq in September this year. The news comes amidst public outcry after the shooting of an Italian Special Agent by American soldiers. The pull out is conditional on whether Iraqi forces can defend themselves.

story.news.yahoo.com
ROME - Premier Silvio Berlusconi, facing rising opposition to the war in Iraq and public outcry over the deadly U.S. shooting of an Italian agent in Baghdad, announced Tuesday that Italy will start withdrawing its 3,000 troops from Iraq beginning in September.

While taping a state TV talk show to air later Tuesday, Berlusconi said, "In September we will begin a progressive reduction of the number of our soldiers in Iraq."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This really shouldnt come as a suprise as public opposition to the Iraq war in Italy was fervent to say the least. The shooting of Special Agent Calipari was just the political push needed for Berlusconi to announce a withdrawal. Any US objections or criticism of the Italian pull out would be muted due to the accidental shooting of Calipari.

The Italian decision is just the latest in a string of withdrawals from Iraq. The Ukraine will have withdrawn its 1,650 troops by October, Australia and Briton are contemplating their options.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.cnn.com

[edit on 15/3/05 by subz]

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Well it's the U.S. position to begin withdrawal of troops as soon as the Iraqis can defend their country as well.

I believe this statement is meant more for domestic consumption and appeasement than any real statement of new policy.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Agreed, however the September timetable is new and newsworthy. Just what will happen come September and inevitably the Iraqis are still incapable of defending themselves. Will the Italians up stumps and leave regardless? I think they will.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
subz, I certainly didn't mean to question the newsworthiness of your report, in fact I voted for it.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I didnt take any offence djohnsto77

In fact I'd forgotten that the Americans had alluded to basically the same position that Berlusconi just did. The difference being that Americans will remain until the Iraqis can defend themselves, whereas the Itallians will go regardless.

top topics

join