Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Is your belief the same as your parents?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I am doing an informal study.

Please answer these three questions simply and honestly.

#1 What is your denomination or belief. State it simply please.

#2 Is your denomination different than your parents.

#3 If yes, why? State as simply as possible please.

Thanks. I will share my theory for debate after I get a good base of responses. Thanks

[edit on 15-3-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

It is difficult to explain. The simplist I could state it is a cross between physics and Buddhism.

Yes.

We were all raised Catholic, but after a while we each seperately did not see the point in it. They are still Christian, but I would put them on the agnostic side of it in that they believe in the christian god, but don't see any relivence in bothering with it.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
1. Atheist

2. Yes

3. I was raised Catholic, and even go to a Catholic school, but my logical mind thought the idea of humans putting all there beliefs and explaining everything by saying "God did it" is just insane. And I just plain dont believe in a god.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I guess it would be easiest to say I am Agnostic.

Absolutely. (yes)

They consider themselves to be Christians, I am not. I was raised Christian, but choose a diiferent path. Much to their (my folks) dismay. But to be more blunt, I have a big problem with most organized religions.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
1) Born Catholic, Baptised Catholic, but I am agnostic.

2) Yes.

3) Because I have a brain. If I did not have a brain, then I would be christian or muslim, or something.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
1. Agnostic, technically, I guess.

2. Not really.

3. Strangely enough we were raised Methodist, and later, long after I had left home, found that we had come to the same conclusions regarding religion, (ie: that we aren't advanced enough to understand God and those who say they do are trying to sell you something).

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople

ag·nos·tic
n.

One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your posts it appears you don't believe there is a God 100%.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
1. Agnostic

2. Yes

3. Because I'm not sure what to believe, but there's gotta be something, right? I have a scientific education, but I just simply cannot believe that the beauty of this world happend by chance.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Atheism.

Very different Yes.

I'm rational, they're not. I dont believe in crazy miracles, they do. I use reasoning as my ultimate weapon, they use faith.

[edit on 15-3-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

ag·nos·tic
n.

One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your posts it appears you don't believe there is a God 100%.

Correct me if I'm wrong Dbrandt, Did Skippy ask you for the defintion of agnostic? Or do you have a vendetta against someone?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   

#1 What is your denomination or belief.

I go through dialectic phases/periods from atheist to agonstic to buddhist to agnostic etc. Currently, I am a devout atheist.

Yes...sort of. They are firm believers in Buddhism (Nichiren, to be exact)

#3 If yes, why?

I think religions are simply belief systems that help people make sense of a complicated universe.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Im catholic same as my parents. I like it. It is the true religion after all. I dont really see any problem with it at all. It makes perfect sence to me.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Poonchang, dude your avatar freaks me out everytime! I have a phobia of black cats with big yellow eyes now. Thanks!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
Im catholic same as my parents. I like it. It is the true religion after all. I dont really see any problem with it at all. It makes perfect sence to me.

What do you mean it is the true religion? Look, I was catholic my whole life, until I realized some things. But, as far as a religion goes, no other religion is responsible for as many horrible atrocities as the catholics. Don't forget that.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

ag·nos·tic
n.

buddy,

Just because I think that you are foolish for disregarding science does not mean I do not believe in God. Please, go through every single post I have ever made on ATS, and find one where I said I do not believe in God.

If you ever read anything I have ever written when it comes to this issue, I always qualify that I do not know. I say, there may or may not be a god. I am not foolish enough to pretend I could know that for sure. In fact, I have had that specific conversation WITH YOU before. But, like all christians, you don't reatain much knowledge when it comes to reality.

I disagree with blind followers such as yourself. I have a problem with the way you and others like you think. I do not however, find myself denying a god exists. I just find myself denying that a god could exist in the way you say it would. You disregard the fact that we have free will in all of your beliefs, but either you are not intelligent enough to realize it, or you just refuse to accept it. I believe the second option there is correct. I BELEIVE that christians are not all stupid. They just choose to be ignorant.

So, in closing, I am agnostic. I have stated that thousands of times. I have never tried to deny the existence of a god. I have only shown the flaws in your misguided and unthought out logic.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I say, there may or may not be a god. I am not foolish enough to pretend I could know that for sure.
So, in closing, I am agnostic.

That's all I wanted to know, thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
Im catholic same as my parents. I like it. It is the true religion after all.

So the bible states, but then again don't all the other religions state the same.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
1. Atheist
2.No

Mother was brought up a Catholic, rejected it as a teenager. Father was brought up a Protestant, and did much the same. I was not indoctrinated by them in any way, although they were, I suppose, an influence.

Unfortunately Christianity has a strong influence inScottish "non-denominational" state schools, and as such children are taught bible stories as fact, with very little respect for other religions. I found that other children were heavily influenced by school as far as religious belief is concerned as even some raised by atheist parents were persuaded to believe in "God". An abuse of authority if you ask me...

[edit on 16-3-2005 by CiderGood_HeadacheBad]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I believe in the same religion as my parents (Free Methodist), but I go to church, and they dont. They only make reference to it if its to their benefit. :shk:

new topics

top topics

join