It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to remove offensive names from planets, stars and other heavenly bodies

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   
How can this be inclusive if this behavior offends most people, because it’s not.

It’s bowing to communist propaganda filled tweens amped up on caffeine who want to be the ones famous for something, even if it means destroying society - there parents have a basement to live in, no problems.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: FishBait

Why do you think I'm offended by the Arab names of stars?

Why is that what you got from my post?

Because of the words you used and you lack of explanation in your reply. Why even through the Arab thing in when mention Trump and who's offended?

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
They need to fire who ever decided to spend US tax payer money on doing that.

They are actually saving money. Before they had to pay someone to type the slang name along with the technical number assignment. Now they just type the technical name so it's less work. Win Win! You should be thanking them!

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: circuitsports
How can this be inclusive if this behavior offends most people, because it’s not.

It’s bowing to communist propaganda filled tweens amped up on caffeine who want to be the ones famous for something, even if it means destroying society - there parents have a basement to live in, no problems.

Wow, who's offended? That huge group of people that have a regular use for the term Siamese twin?

You realize communists would never make a rule like this as they are big on punishing and making fun of people who are different. You should really learn what words are if you are going to use them. Almost nothing anyone calls communist on here is actually such. It's just a trigger term some snowflake tosses out when he's offended at minor progress.

Nobody really gives 2 sh#ts either way on something this minor so they can do what they want.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Others seemed to understand what I meant.

Some people are offended by the Arab culture's influence on western society. I am not one of them.

The point I was making is that people find anything offensive. I find the rush to rename everything that MIGHT be offensive childish. NASA is an executive branch agency. Donald Trump is the only one who can order a review or an end to such nonsensical censorship of colloquialisms.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Others seemed to understand what I meant.

Some people are offended by the Arab culture's influence on western society. I am not one of them.

The point I was making is that people find anything offensive. I find the rush to rename everything that MIGHT be offensive childish. NASA is an executive branch agency. Donald Trump is the only one who can order a review or an end to such nonsensical censorship of colloquialisms.

Then why bring up the Arab thing like you are legitimizing it? I'm sure people are offended because they originated a lot of math and science the right can't seem to grasp anymore. People saying they are offended by Arab names is insane. Everything doesn't have to be named after a white conqueror. And claiming everyone gets what you are saying is also insane. It's the internet.

These are terms that were determined offensive a long time ago. This is not "might be" offensive. This is like 30 year old news that they are just getting around to adjusting in NASA. The fake outrage from the right just shows the blatant racism and lack of compassion conservatives have. Just because these are "colloquialisms" in your circles doesn't mean they are in others or that people want gov agencies using these terms.

"What do you mean I can't call people/objects Eskimo! Is nothing sacred!"

Get over yourself. Especially the whole "lord Trump is the only one that can authorize a review of names of space object". WTF, one minute you all want to claim he's not a dictator then the next you want to say he has to authorize every little thing the gov does.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I think it's obvious you just wanna hurl insults.

I already explained it. Take it for what's it worth and drop it because I'm done.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I think it's obvious you just wanna hurl insults.

I already explained it. Take it for what's it worth and drop it because I'm done.

Apparently I hit a nerve. I find it insulting you want to give legitimacy to people being offended at "Arab" influence on western society. Which would be math and science. If people are offended by that then just YIKES! It's like everyone forgets people in the US came from Europe and Europe is right next to the Middle East and they all had a rich history of trade and interactions. Now that oil is involved they are just the enemy to be exploited for their resources.

You are also dismissing what NASA is doing as people rushing to be offended by anything when in reality these terms were deemed offensive a long time ago. The people whom the terms are used for said those terms are offensive to us please stop using them. They get to decide what's offensive. Not some non-Inuit non-conjoined twin screaming about snowflakes.

Your arguments hold no weight so you don't want to discuss them anymore. Sounds about right.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   

You're one of the most toxic people on ATS. Why would I want to talk to you?

I'll be happy to discuss the finer points of my posts with anyone but you.

Post after post all you do is insult and hurl bull# at people. Sorry I'm not interested in you.

I wasn't "toxic" until everyone else started in with the death threats and go back to Russia commie nonsense. Which starts as soon as their arguments fall apart. And clearly makes me the least toxic when I just poke fun at people absurd arguments posing as intellectualism at which point they start talking about what they are going to do with their second amendment right. That's toxic.

I laid things out politely the last post so I'm happy to do it politely. You still haven't explained how it's rational to say well a lot of people are offended by a lot of things so only Trump gets to decide what's worth changing. Please explain the finer points.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You mean Thailand?

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   

(post by FishBait removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I came here to deny ignorance. Not get taught about it.

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Closed for a chill out and cleanup.
reopened.

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for POLITE and COURTEOUS political debate will be enforced.
Members must also Stay on Topic!!!
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

Community Announcement re: Decorum
Is There Civilization Without Civility

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!
edit on Thu Aug 27 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have always thought Aste-roids sounds to Druggie and should be renamed Asterocks.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join