It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to remove offensive names from planets, stars and other heavenly bodies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 06:52 AM
link   
What?!?

nypost.com...

Are you kidding me?!?

NASA arrives with a huge splash in the stormy and windswept seas of Political Correctness !! Go NASA! 🤣😂🤣

Ha! What a steaming pile of crap! 💩

It's a good thing NASA is NOT responsible for naming heavenly bodies. That honor has been rightfully earned & always given to the individuals or groups that actually, you know, discover something. The only thing NASA can do in their new self-created clusterf%ck of a PC world, would be to refer to these heavenly bodies by their newly made-up, Orwell-Speak name. Meanwhile the rest of PC crowd that' being dragged along for the ride, looks helplessly adrift as everyone scrambles trying to figure out what everyone else is talking about. It's Abbot & Costello's "Who's on First" routine, writ large and in-charge!!

The entire concept is ludicrous on its face for NASA because the instant they go down that road they make themselves totally irrelevant in the world of *real* science. At that point, they are nothing more than a sad, comedic punch-line in the world of real science.

It's the celestial equivalent of the Civil War statue renaming debacle! I guess metaphorically, NASA = BLM.

I guess if the left and the PC crowd really rules the country in the future, NASA can always become the political-science wing of the party. I mean, the telescopes and massive observatories are already built, right? They represent "already sunk costs", right?

That leaves the only rational alternative - selling all of those assets and scientific equipment to *REAL* science groups who will actually get some work done that people care about.

Beyond that, they're stuck with nothing but flailing around for #s & giggles, since any potential new "results" will be received from this once revered organization that now sleeps with the 🐟🦈🐠 fishes - with derision, laughter, and a growing and actively disinterested base of moronic "information consumers".

Welcome to the Brave New World, friends.

edit on 8/11/2020 by Riffrafter because: I give up - you tell me the reason I can't type for #!

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I'd like to see present Trump end this bull#.

What stellar objects names are offensive and to whom?

Many of the stars in the night sky have Arab names.
edit on 8 11 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I have a list of stars that are offensive to me that haven't been #-canned yet.
Rosie O'Donnell would be a good start.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

No more " Black Holes " then ?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Hmmm, does this ruin my chance to do the whole 'name a star' thing? I had already picked out Cracker Ass Cracker for the one I wanted.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Of course not. There'll be a new movement on Twitter.
#BlackHolesMatter

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Many of them were names by Arabic astronomers of old.

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I vote we change Uranus to Alexandria Occasio Cortez

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Well, Uranus may be in trouble. And I'm not going to touch the Black Hole naming debates.

If you read the very brief linked story, you come across a few gems such as:

Under the new rules, the “Eskimo Nebula,” discovered in 1787 by William Hershel, will only be referred to as NGC 2392.

The so-called “Siamese Twins Galaxy” will likewise be known only as NGC 4567 and NGC 4568.

What in the blue f#ck has happened to plain old common sense?

It's as if the year 2020 is a relentless marauder of all things sane, decent, kind, logical & respectful.

I have news for 2020 - if it keeps up this crazy nonsense, I think congress and the President should be goaded into cancelling the rest of this sh#t-show year, and pass a law, edict or decree that starts the new year - 2021 - this Friday night Aug 14th!.

I'm out...and ready to party like it's 2021 ASAP.

Who's with me?

edit on 8/11/2020 by Riffrafter because: 2020 ate my homework!

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

Well, Uranus may be in trouble. And I'm not going to touch the Black Hole naming debates.

If you read the very brief linked story, you come across a few gems such as:

Under the new rules, the “Eskimo Nebula,” discovered in 1787 by William Hershel, will only be referred to as NGC 2392.

The so-called “Siamese Twins Galaxy” will likewise be known only as NGC 4567 and NGC 4568.

What in the blue f#ck has happened to plain old common sense?

It's as if the year 2020 is a relentless marauder of all things sane, decent, kind, logical & respectful.

I have news for 2020 - if it keeps up this crazy nonsense, I think congress and the President should be goaded into cancelling the rest of this sh#t-show year, and pass a law, edict or decree that starts the new year - 2021 - this Friday night Aug 14th!.

I'm out...and ready to party like it's 2021 ASAP.

Who's with me?

New super massive hole of color found in a far away galaxy!

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   

We need to send NASA a message that Mars and Venus must be renamed because they are creating and supporting gender stereotypes and are sexist.

Welcome to 2020 bitchees.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Is Siamese Offensive?

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSkunk
Is Siamese Offensive?

Yes, since the country is now being called Thighland.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I bet this is how it always happens throughout history. I live how they start crackling with news like these.

I wonder which crowd was which back in the day

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
White Dwarf Stars, White Little People Stars.
Binary Star Systems Non- Binary Star Systems
edit on 11-8-2020 by 11SK1180 because: Correct

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   
White dwarf's matter..

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: 11SK1180

By 1 second.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I have a list of stars that are offensive to me that haven't been #-canned yet.
Rosie O'Donnell would be a good start.

I wish that I could give you multiple stars for this! If Trump is re-elected, maybe all of her ilk will lose it & self destruct!
I know that I can’t take another four years of bitching & whining from all of them! And probably at exponential levels, because right now, they think that there’s no way that he will be a two term president!

On a side note...going from star names to numbers? Pfft! Who can remember all those numbers? Plus some of the names are probably descriptive. The Siamese star, I picture as having overlapping borders. They started naming hurricanes, because it was easier to keep track of historic ones with names, rather than just the year. Time for anyone who has a hurricane with their name, to start protesting too! 😂

WOQ

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   
They better not touch Uranus! That's a hill I will die on! Way too many good jokes are mined from that planet. I say no!

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   
They should remove the name Black Hole, it sounds too much like a Black Hoe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join