It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump signs Executive Order for COVID - Unemployment, No Payroll Taxes, Student Loans and Evictions

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: HalWesten

You mean you don't like things which conflict with your paradigm, and reject them.

I can understand that.

Not at all, if you followed the discussion without the subtle psychobabble it would be more interesting. You intentionally try to blur the lines and it's annoying. But then every time you're called out on that you ignore it and pick it up in another thread so it's really my fault for responding to you, which only encourages your behavior.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

The "New Deal" gave people jobs. And built roads and stuff. This ain't that. However you may feel about that, this won't get people working.
It's a bandaid which, depending on how it is handled, may hurt a lot more than some people think.

edit on 8/8/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

You intentionally try to blur the lines and it's annoying

Damn you're right.
Everything is black and white. I forgot there are no gradations. No plotting. No scheming to hold power at any price.

What was I thinking?

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I didn’t say that. I said I have not seen, this kind of stuff since the 30’s.

I suppose we will have to pay these taxes next year also lol, I highly doubt Americans will save this money, he is hoping we spend it..

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   

The only thing he cares about is himself.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   

THEY sound desperate, we will pay for this in spades, inflation tax. Property rites, are thrown out the window also. Wonder what the excuse is to not pay rent, with the unemployment bonus of 600 a week 🤷‍♂️. I guess it’s 400 now. Ya it’s bad news and this sounds a little unconstitutional.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   

The economic impact of the pandemic will be great, no matter how it is dealt with. Downplaying it while saying, "Here, here's an extra 75 bucks in your paycheck" is smoke and mirrors, bread and circuses.

But it only has to last through October. COVID will probably disappear by then too.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Oh ya, it’s a re-election tactic. It’s a dangerous move, I guess if Biden, wins thou, he can sign, an executive order to usher in the green new deal next year. 🤷‍♂️ This is madness.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   

an executive order to usher in the green new deal next year.

No. That wouldn't work.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I am kidding, but who knows, just making a point.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

The payroll tax cut is a drop in the bucket IMO.

He said Friday he'd make it retroactive to July 1st. That didn't happen. Not only that, it doesn't start until Sept 1st.

I'll appreciate the $90 a month I get but really, all it'll do is complicate the stimulus negotiations from here out and make a second stimulus check for $1200 less likely because a good chunk of money just got used on this instead.

Also, Congress will feel less rushed and pressed to pass something because of this token relief. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the executive order is much needed like the unemployment and eviction moratorium, but this payroll thing is extra and in the way.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Trump just threw a big ol wrench in the Democrats plans. Funny watching them trip and fall all over it. If a Democrat president signed this EO they would be praising it 24/7, but since Trump wrote it, the left will have to find ways to complain about it.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Lol.. by what I just read..
You might have to pay this money back in the near future. Unless, trump is re-elected or some other kind hearted politician intervenes to forgive you of this debt you were forced to take on, with interest I imagine if you cant come up with the funds to pay it when due.
Setting us up to be blackmailed... elect me or pay out big time??
Or maybe just election manipulation.
I'm retired so, in the short run, this isnt gonna directly affect me. And, I've learned to just spend what I absolutely have to and stash the rest away, so I'll be able to help my kids out if they need it. I'll just have to postpone dying a little longer since that was what I've been saving up for... burial expenses. Ya see, my goal is to leave this world debt free... just in case that debt is somehow carried through to the other side, which I can see as a possibility. But, that is just my weird beliefs...
Yous are free to enjoy your debts I guess....
But this is more like a small loan that trump sounds rather eager to hold over your head in the near future in hopes that it will win him some votes.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Trump just threw a big ol wrench in the Democrats plans. Funny watching them trip and fall all over it. If a Democrat president signed this EO they would be praising it 24/7, but since Trump wrote it, the left will have to find ways to complain about it.

Can you expand on that.

Why would a Democrat Signing such a thing be praising it ?

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 05:10 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

If that's where your strawman wants to make cuts, then go ahead.

Payroll taxes fund social security and medicare, that's it. Cut that revenue and you're going to have to either cut the benefits or get the revenue from someplace else.

Sounds like they shouldn't have over reacted and shut everything down?

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Ya. Sure. As if the virus rampaging through the nation wouldnt have shut things down and caused just as much damage.
Maybe some people should have taken it a tad bit more seriously and gone along with the mitigation measures a little better.

But, even if social security were to fail... much of the revenue would be coming from someplace. Weather it be through other social programs like rent assistance and food stamps, medicaid, or through the pockets of the seniors adult children. Hospitals will still be providing some healthcare, only payment for the services might come in. Or, if worse comes to worse..
We can have the dead bodies of seniors out on our streets, in garbage bins because they are dying so fast they cant be processed through and buried fast enough and the danged politicians are too cheap to pay for the refrigerated trucks to store them in.
You cant solve the govts budgetary problems by taking the resources of the poorest people, even if it is by cutting the social programs. One way or the other, their basic needs will have to met or you will lose those people. And either path will lead to other negative, costly repercussions.

Do away with social security means you are laying that burden onto their kids who will then require higher salaries to meet their responsibilities.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Payroll tax funds social security.

I wonder how many people who depend on social security are here applauding this move. Probably most of you.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
How is he gonna pay for unemployment with no payroll taxes?

Maybe, since there is no Constitutional authority for 'unemplyment taxes' at the federal level at least, this is a problem the States will have to deal with.

By the way.. he says he is gonna make the payroll tax cut permanent. So, no more social security taxes. Ya know what happens when the social security tax collected doesnt cover the amount needed to pay out current beneficiaries?

a) it never has, and
b) the FICA/Medicare tax was never, ever, by law, anything other than a general tax, received into the g eneral fund. It was never designated as solely to go toward some kind of dedicated SS/Medicare fund.

This is what the supreme Court had to do to find a way to not declare it totally UnConstitutional - which it was and is.

No, they dont just stop paying out. They start calling on the govt to pay up on the ious till all the ious are paid back.

There are no ious. That is all smoke and mirrors.

Unless, of course the govt decides to default on that debt.. which would sink our credit rating!

It is an interesting dilemma.

Nect, Trump needs to sign an EO placing us back on a multi-precious metal standard, and abolish the Fed.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

So, reduce medicare and social security benefits (that's what payroll taxes cover, almost).

Yeah. Right.

Last i looked at my check stub, medicare/SSI were seperate deductions from the federal income tax. Even when i claim exempt from federal income tax, medicare and ssi still are taken. My understanding is they are seperate unless they also use part of the federal tax on top of the seperate taxes specifically for medicare/ssi to put add to it, i feel those wont be affected. The way i read the “ending payroll taxes” is they are just ending the federal portion. You will still have medicare/ssi deductions. I would like to believe trump is smarter than that. That wouldnt go over well with most of anyone really.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Payroll tax funds social security.

I wonder how many people who depend on social security are here applauding this move. Probably most of you.

Plenty of people earning over 100k that will continue to pay for payroll tax to fund future SS.

eta: Dim governors managed to kill off so many seniors by putting covid patients in nursing homes just think of how much less SS we are paying out now.
edit on 9-8-2020 by toolgal462 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join