It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to Suspend Payroll Tax Until End of 2020

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
It's difficult for politicians to take stuff away from citizens during election season.

Anyway, you'd need a majority in the House and the Senate, along with the President's final sign-off, to cut all funding from Social Security.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It's difficult for politicians to take stuff away from citizens during election season.

And ever so easy to give things away. All it takes is a sharpie. With a sharpie you can change the path of a hurricane.

Bread and circuses. After November, who cares?
edit on 8/8/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

And ever so easy to give things away.

It must be terrible for you, watching people get things they need.

I really don't know how you can stand it.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Don't worry about me. To coin a phrase.
Seriously. Don't.

edit on 8/8/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You overestimate your own worth. I'm not a bit worried about you.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Good to know we're on even terms on that account.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: scraedtosleep

People making minimum wage of $7.25/hr will keep $7.25/hr (unless their state has an income tax or other income taxes such as city or school district) instead of only making maybe $5.58/hr or so.

Not true. The income tax and state tax still comes out which is the majority of the tax or at least half.

I make $8.75/hr and at 40hrs a week, it'll give me about $50 per two-week check. It's something, but I mean.. not quite a stimulus.

It starts Sept 1st when just yesterday he said it'd be retroactive to July 1st. That would've meant a nice little check but alas, not to be.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Biden just wants to raise all taxes.

Apparently there are those who desire that.

*shrugs*

I don't understand why people want to have less and willingly support a form of government that will take more and be more authoritarian.

Buit then again, I'm not a woke person.

If you substantially benefit from the programs or expansions thereof funded by the taxation personally, you would be for it.

In order for that to happen, you'd have to be lower income, thus almost always left wing or a Democrat voter.

If you weren't lower income, you wouldn't benefit, therefore you'd be against it and likely right wing or a Republican voter.

Example:

You have crappy medicare or nothing at all depending on where you live:

Thus, you'd be for you and everyone else paying enough extra tax every month to buy a combo meal at McDonalds. You'll go without your combo meal, you probably weren't buying one anyways.

You have good health insurance that you pay for monthly because you can afford it:

Thus, you'd be against yourself and everyone else paying enough extra tax every month to buy a combo meal at McDonalds. You could afford more combo meals anyway but you use self control for the sake of your health. It's not about the combo meal, it's the principle. Why should you contribute to millions of other people having better healthcare; you pay for your own, you shouldn't have to pay for theirs. It's literally not fair, all ethics and morals aside of course.
edit on 9-8-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I sit in two minds on this issue. I understand why the payroll taxes are in place and what they fund. There New Zealand equivalent is Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) levies on wages and profits made sole traders. For all of ACC's faults, New Zealand is spared the black cloud of personal injury lawsuits/The Legal Industrial Complex.

Yet ACC levies like their American Medicare payroll tax counterparts impose additional costs on Small to Medium Enterprises, the lifeblood of our economies. The more I considered Trump and the GOP's tax reform package was underwhelming. If the 10,000 pages of tax loopholes in the U.S tax system are eliminated: Does the need for the additional payroll taxes remain?

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

If you substantially benefit from the programs or expansions thereof funded by the taxation personally, you would be for it.

Really? Then why am I not screaming bloody murder?

I am on Social Security Disability as my only source of income. I have 'crappy' Medicare as my health insurance (which I am very pleased with... sorry you think it is so 'crappy'). The stated concern in this thread is that the payroll tax holiday will cut my income and my insurance.

And I'm not opposed to it.

The determination of who is for and who is against a program seems of late to have nothing to do with whether or not it benefits or harms someone. Rather, it seems to depend on who suggested it and whether or not someone parrots that politician. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer have proposed a $3 Trillion package for relief... this temporary measure placed in effect by Donald Trump runs, I think I heard, somewhere around $600 Billion (for comparison, that's $0.6 Trillion). Therefore, those who are concerned about the budget should be for this relief package and opposed to the Pelosi/Schumer package.

That is not the case. Many here have already complained about the budget despite this being the cheapest package proposed. These same people have no apparent issues with $3 Trillion, but major issues with $0.6 Trillion. When one looks at their previous positions on issues, they are all aligned with Pelosi and Schumner and all opposed to Trump.

It's just identity politics, as usual. Rooting for their favorite team. Reverse the names and you reverse their positions.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

I'm personally in a "wait and see" mode on this. I understand that cutting the FICA tax can have negative effects on those on Social Security, but I am also far too well aware that we spend money every day that we do not have on everything under the sun with seemingly no consequences. So I suppose we'll see. Personally, I still don't see how we needed to shut down the country in the first place, which would make all this academic.

I am mainly just enjoying watching people flip their positions so hard trying to keep up with their favorite politicians. I have a pool going on who will snap their neck in half first.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

These same people have no apparent issues with $3 Trillion, but major issues with $0.6 Trillion. When one looks at their previous positions on issues, they are all aligned with Pelosi and Schumner and all opposed to Trump.

Seriously...
What does bailing out bankrupt state pension funds of Democrat-controlled states have to do with the China Virus?

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I've always said that if democrats start lowering taxes, reducing size of government, reduced regulations, I'd vote democrat.

The problem is that there really is NO ONE in either party willing to do that any longer in congress.

They talk a good game, but in the end, we get screwed.

So basically I now look and see who would screw me less. Because there is no one there to represent me.

Trump does SOMETHING though, call it bad, call it good, but it's something. It's not the self-serving crap that the democrats proposed, it's not a "compromise" plan that republicans accept.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   

That's the key. Words alone are useless. Actions matter.

We see it in all aspects of the DNC. In my time, racism was dragging a guy behind a vehicle because he had the wrong skin color, or threatening a family because they lived in the wrong area for their skin color. Those were actions. Today, "racism" is saying the wrong word in a casual conversation. That's words.

Yesterday, Congress used words and Trump used actions. If those positions reverse, so does my support.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Yesterday, Congress used words and Trump used actions. If those positions reverse, so does my support.

Get ready for congressional democrats to finally take some real action...when they sue to try to block Trump's EO.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Get ready for congressional democrats to finally take some real action...when they sue to try to block Trump's EO.

Democrats have no choice.

They have to block this and stop it.

If it benefits people (voters) than they'll be crushed in November. So they HAVE to have people starve, be evicted, homeless, unemployed, for them to have any chance in November.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Democrats will be crushed in November, regardless.
Unfortunately, they have become the party of anarchy.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Democrats have been lured into a trap they may not be able to escape so easy.

So get ready for COVID19 v.2.0 🦇

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Democrats have been lured into a trap they may not be able to escape so easy.

So get ready for COVID19 v.2.0 🦇

They (Democrats) have to hurt their base to avoid having Trump help their base, yet democrats need their base to defeat Trump.

I imagine the media will be full-on dressing Trump's EO's as harmful to the nation.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Democrats have no choice.

They have to block this and stop it.

the democrats are worthless scums willing todo more harm than good to the US and they somehow managed to find a candidate worse than hillary with dementia kid sniffer groping corn pop joe biden.

having said that , COME ON MAAAN trump cant be spending trillions like a democrat and at the same time talk about cutting taxes. we are going to pay one way or another whether its called a tax or not

i wish this to be true but what is he cutting and what is he doing to cut the rampant govt mis management of money?

this is just political sound bite like his joke of a tax cut before.

im not holdingy my breath with this as anything worth while to brag about

edit on 25831America/ChicagoSun, 09 Aug 2020 10:25:59 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join