It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phone Company Customer Service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   
So up in Canada, there's this phone spam going around, some fake recording threatening a government lawsuit, me and many people i know have gotten them off and on for years.

Tonight i get a call from a random, normal looking number, for some reason i answer it. This irate mexican dude starts asking me if i called his wife about a lawsuit, he said she got a call from my number. So after a bit of chatting back and forth, my apologies and assurances it wasn't me, my condolonces and empathy having received the same calls, some comradrie over cussing them out and bad mouthing them and basically in the end dude warns me, someone's sending spam calls from my number.

So...immediately try to call up my phone company, now i'm not a customer service calling kinda person, but this was a kind of exceptional circumstance, so i dial and i'm met with a recording telling me they'll send me a text to initiate a chat...ok...

Click the link, some automated chat help bull#...so i try

'Can i talk to customer service'
Nope...
'I need to speak to a customer service representative'
Nope
So..i try a new tactic.
'My phone number was spoofed'
Nope
'Spammer using my phone number'
Nope
Well, then the chatbot says..
'If you can't find the help you need, tey calling this number'

So, i call.

There's a recording, saying

'Did you know, 80% of our customer's problems can be solved through our automated help system? We'll text you the link!'

*click

Then i receive a text with the same link i'd received before.

So...some person's using my number to spam people, i get called up by some hotblooded husband on behalf of his wife, and though that was resolved with a win against the spammer...

Seriously, clearly, this is a 20% problem, # this #.

I have no idea if it's just some number spoofing #(most likely), or some simjacking #(less likely, but way worse), and i guess talking to a human when you pay a company money is too much to ask.
edit on 7/8/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

1) Yes automation is beyond frustrating sometimes, only to get the automation saying to try automation for a solution!

LUL

2) Had this happen to me too recently. I had an elderly lady call me and ask why I kept calling her number and that I have the wrong number. I immediately realized my # was being hijacked to send out robocalls. Just tell them hey it's a virtual number from a robocaller and well,

that's just tough bananas lady. I get robocalls from mock numbers all the time too.

3) Good luck one way or the other. We're gonna need it!

edit on 7-8-2020 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Yeah, the robocall with a spoofed number was my bet, but would still be nice to know. I would at least like a person to just say 'no, sorry, you're #ed' than have a website be like, 'sorry i don't understand, you're #ed'

edit on 7/8/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
So up in Canada, there's this phone spam going around, some fake recording threatening a government lawsuit, me and many people i know have gotten them off and on for years.

Tonight i get a call from a random, normal looking number, for some reason i answer it. This irate mexican dude starts asking me if i called his wife about a lawsuit, he said she got a call from my number. So after a bit of chatting back and forth, my apologies and assurances it wasn't me, my condolonces and empathy having received the same calls, some comradrie over cussing them out and bad mouthing them and basically in the end dude warns me, someone's sending spam calls from my number.

So...immediately try to call up my phone company, now i'm not a customer service calling kinda person, but this was a kind of exceptional circumstance, so i dial and i'm met with a recording telling me they'll send me a text to initiate a chat...ok...

Click the link, some automated chat help bull#...so i try

'Can i talk to customer service'
Nope...
'I need to speak to a customer service representative'
Nope
So..i try a new tactic.
'My phone number was spoofed'
Nope
'Spammer using my phone number'
Nope
Well, then the chatbot says..
'If you can't find the help you need, tey calling this number'

So, i call.

There's a recording, saying

'Did you know, 80% of our customer's problems can be solved through our automated help system? We'll text you the link!'

*click

Then i receive a text with the same link i'd received before.

So...some person's using my number to spam people, i get called up by some hotblooded husband on behalf of his wife, and though that was resolved with a win against the spammer...

Seriously, clearly, this is a 20% problem, # this #.

I have no idea if it's just some number spoofing #(most likely), or some simjacking #(less likely, but way worse), and i guess talking to a human when you pay a company money is too much to ask.

Easy free apps disguises callers real number. Use yours, a friends or random.10 year old stuff.
Sorry its out there

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

You must have sprint. They sent me to a series of chat bots a few weeks ago, trying to get my NEW PHONE that I bought FROM THEM, activated. after 4 days straight and countless hours on the phone with total non-listening idiots and double digit chat bots, who then ALL just end up sending to me to pages on their website that send me back to the #ing chat bots, I finally walked into a competitors phone store in town and got them to transfer my old phone data to and activate my new one.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You mean, you tried to talk to these people?

Or maybe these_

:
edit on 2020 8 08 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   
If you don't recognize the number, don't answer it.

If they leave voicemail, block the number.

Problem solved. 🙄

new topics

top topics

join