It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The price of instant gratification

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   
We live in interesting times. We can post a picture of a meal we just cooked, and have thousands of followers comment on it. We can take vacation pictures and have the same. Sometimes the followers say less than nice things. What do we do then? Usually cowtow to the one asshole that left the negative comment. There might be backlash and the post could go viral, and have thousands of people making negative comments. What then? Apologize. that's what.

I thought of this while reading about Martha Stewart.
www.foxnews.com...
the post:

The screenshot shows an opinionated, but now deleted comment that was left by one of Stewart’s followers, which said, “I’ve always followed you. Loved your show. But do you ever feel this is all a little tone deaf!”

“There are people lining up for hours for a bag of potatoes,” the Instagram user continued to write under Stewart’s picturesque lobster dish and table setting slideshow. “# let them eat cake”

And her response:

“The lobsters were $4 each from a fisherman who was happy to be getting more than from his regular buyer. We had potatoes from our own garden. And corn from a local farm which we support,” Stewart wrote in response to the user. “We feed everyone who works for us. We do not waste. We compost. We work. We give generously to many organizations.”
“We care about the pandemic and observe healthy living and social distancing etc and we wear masks we are good people,” the media mogul added, which notably comes days after she was criticized by multiple Instagram users who accused her of not following social distancing protocols in the age of the coronavirus.

Now I suppose it's nice that she took the time to respond to this one person. But why? it obviously worked. This one poster (Karen), knew that if she said something negative, she would get under her skin. Why do we care? Well, why did we post that meal in the first place? For Martha, it's kind of what she does. it's her job. For most of us, it's for the instant gratification. For that missing attention we so desperately crave. How did we ever get by before the ability to garner instant "likes"? If I remember that far back, we did just fine.

Just remember, if you crave attention, post your meals, if you really, really crave attention, reply negatively on someone else's post about a meal.

ETA:
And no, the irony isn't lost on me about me posting this here.
edit on 7-8-2020 by network dude because: Beto, what a stupid name.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Take the Dave Chappelle approach and 'shut off the mother******* comments' in your social media.

If I had any social media presence I'd have them off too, people just like to push buttons.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm amazed that it bothers us so much that we offer any legitimacy to that one douche bag.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   

What can we say? I guess it's because people have feelings. Well, most people, I don't, but I think that's why.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

didn't we used to be a little less fragile?

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Hey Karen, what are you doing online, you know how many people can't afford an internet bill or even a cell bill right now? You intensive tone deaf doosh.

Or, what is more likely to come out of my mouth, "Shut up, it's just SM and nobody gives two flying f$s what you think & feel anyway. Doosh."

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
didn't we used to be a little less fragile?

Maybe? I think the semi-anonymity of the internet adds to the douchiness.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
If you don't want to watch rich people show off their fancy #, why would you follow or subscribe to them? What else do you think she's gonna post? A #ing bowl of gruel with a glass of thinned milk?

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
If you don't want to watch rich people show off their fancy #, why would you follow or subscribe to them? What else do you think she's gonna post? A #ing bowl of gruel with a glass of thinned milk?

You just described the masterpiece film "Two Girls and a Cup" more or less

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

If I lived in coastal Maine, I'm quite sure I would eat lobster until I was tired of lobster. (pro tip, you can do just like she said, and get it quite cheap)

I have no idea what people who cry about food pictures on the internet think.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

dont post pictures of your dinner to FB, Insta, Twitter and the like, if your looking for appraisal maybe something is missing in your life, in 50 years time I can see headstones without the persons date of birth and date of death but instead how many thumbs up or followers they amassed online

and more importantly dont post pictures of your children online EVER

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Take the Dave Chappelle approach and 'shut off the mother******* comments' in your social media.

If I had any social media presence I'd have them off too, people just like to push buttons.

Good thing out Govt allows people to comment. Is that the kind of country you'd run if you were Prez?

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   

If I lived in coastal Maine, I'm quite sure I would eat lobster until I was tired of lobster. (pro tip, you can do just like she said, and get it quite cheap)

I was in Bangor/Portland last year. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. Went to a local shop for what I thought was gonna be a life-affirming lobster roll. Imagine the paralysis incurred when I saw the 'chef' reach for that CAN of lobster of the shelf.

Pricetag: $13

Never again.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   

All my nonunion gigs come from FB and messenger. It's a great resource if you know how to use it; industry standard actually and a networking paradise.

Posting self promotion for a particular skill is also a way to get gigs. I just wrapped on a film shot here by a Russia prod. co that read my page and booked when they return to tamalewood.

For my own projects FB is the goto resource, it's a on line talent agency that doesn't take their pound of flesh.

edit on 7-8-2020 by olaru12 because: syntax

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightVision

I was in Bangor/Portland last year. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. Went to a local shop for what I thought was gonna be a life-affirming lobster roll. Imagine the paralysis incurred when I saw the 'chef' reach for that CAN of lobster of the shelf.

Pricetag: $13

Never again.

Don't write it off quite yet. You need to be coastal. Fresh lobsta, like caught this morning fresh. And bigger isn't better. Stick to about 1.5 to 2 pounds. After that, they taste more like a boot than a lobster. But it's pretty damn amazing when you get it like that.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

All my nonunion gigs come from FB and messenger. It's a great resource if you know how to use it; industry standard actually and a networking paradise.

Posting self promotion for a particular skill is also a way to get gigs. I just wrapped on a film shot here by a Russia prod. co that read my page and booked when they return to tamalewood.

For my own projects FB is the goto resource, it's a on line talent agency that doesn't take their pound of flesh.

Link your page, let's see how long til you turn off comments.

🤣

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I understand the use of social media for business. I just noted the idiots seem to gravitate towards it as well, and for some reason, they are the one's who get the attention. a hundred positive posts will be ignored but that one bad one will get a response. It's almost a reward for being a dick.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Having never posted a selfie much less a meal I was eating this thread is completely beyond my comprehension.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightVision
Good thing out Govt allows people to comment. Is that the kind of country you'd run if you were Prez?

If I were President why would I care if private citizens shut off the comments section in their social media profiles? What kind of tin pot dictator worries about that level of minutia?

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Social media is a mechanism used for instant gratification, and that isn't a good thing as that instant gratification immaturity spills out into normal life.

edit on 7-8-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join