It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinion piece about students and mask

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Two students at a Georgia high school got suspended for posting photos of other students without mask while at school. It seems like mask shaming is making its way to schools as well.

students suspended

I dont know if students have just been watching what has been playing out all across the media and want to get in on the action. I guess its not about what cool new clothes you got for back to chool shopping its more about what mask you are or are not wearing??

BUt whats the ATS opinion on this? should students be suspended for maybe trying to play reporter, whistleblower? is the school in the right to say hey we are trying to make sure we have a productive safe learning environment lets keep our focus on learning the curriculum and not what is or is not on someones face? Or are these students heroes for trying to report on unsafe learning conditions?

crowded schools with no mask

also coincidentally there is another story about students posing for back to school photos without mask that is sowing seeds of controversy.

sparks of controversy fly

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Germ-laden cell phones should be locked up when they get there and given back when they leave for the day. I understand about having a phone in an emergency but there is no reason for a student to have a phone on them in class. Remember, I worked for a school for a long time, I know all of the "we can use it for this and that" arguments.

We're three weeks from the start date here and my wife still hasn't gotten any information about her job. None.

The point is, no phones no pictures of kids not wearing masks. I believe this generation has been conditioned to video everything instead of using common sense and analyzing situations or as we see so often, don't call for help.
edit on 6-8-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

She said the school suspended her for five days, saying she violated school polices that “stated that I used my phone in the hallway without permission, used my phone for social media, and posting pictures of minors without consent.”

I can agree with that policy.

A report/complaint to administrators would have been the correct approach.
edit on 8/6/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The spin is strong with this one...

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Suspension's too good for 'em, hangin's too good for 'em, burnin's too good for 'em, they need to be taken, isolated and dosed with the covid to set an example.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

A report to administrators would have been the correct approach.

I doubt admin were unaware. Big controversy here in GA about re-openings.

I can agree with that policy.

Policy is policy, I get that, but this seems more retribution by school admin for bringing the situation into widespread awareness using social media, under the guise of "policy." IMO.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Yes I agree the students should be suspended.

This is what one of the students said from the OP link:

"stated that I used my phone in the hallway without permission, used my phone for social media, and posting pictures of minors without consent.”

The issue really has nothing to do with masks and who's not wearing them. I personally wouldn't want the school to allow the posting images of my kids with out their/my or at the very least the schools permission so I support the rule.
edit on 6-8-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

BUt whats the ATS opinion on this?

Put. On. A. Mask.

Get past the belligerent impulses. Don't put people's lives and their families' lives in danger just because you can.

Please.
Put on a damn mask for the 4 minutes you're in the store.

Please.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Policy is policy, I get that, but this seems more retribution by school admin for bringing the situation into widespread awareness using social media, under the guise of "policy." IMO.

Doing the right thing for the wrong reason is still doing the right thing.
edit on 6-8-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I doubt admin were unaware.

Understood.

But the social media posting was prohibited and not likely to be productive in any manner.

But still, I marched to the state capital in 1970 to "save our surf." Pretty futile, but it made sense at the time.
fluxhawaii.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

originally posted by: Liquesence

Doing the right thing for the wrong reason is still doing the right thing.

Technically, but it doesn't mean the cause for action was just or appropriate even if it "happened to be" in that instance.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   

But the social media posting was prohibited

Hence policy, against activities "on campus."

not likely to be productive in any manner.

Except bringing awareness outside the school walls, back to my point about retribution.

They violated policy, but it still seems retribution under the guise of policy for bringing the attention. IMO.

But still, I marched to the state capital in 1970 to "save our surf." Pretty futile, but it made sense at the time.

Does it make sense now?

edit on 6-8-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

They violated policy, but it still seems retribution under the guise of policy for bringing the attention. IMO.
Could well be the case. But not relevant. She knew the policy (or should have), she should be willing to accept the consequences of her actions. That's what civil disobedience is all about.

It might be instructive to see how equally the policy is applied though. The school put themselves over a bit of a barrel.

Does it make sense now?

They buried some of the best waves on the south shore under a runway.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I don't believe anyone should be shamed on social media for being stupid that one time, at school or anywhere else for that matter. Especially for something could be easily resolved by reporting to the right authorities and nipped in the bud with a talking to.

Honestly I'd hate to grow up as a kid in theses ages where every stupid, statement or mistake you ever made can be googled for the rest of your life, possibly affecting college applications, careers or relationships.

If its a crime, doing the time isn't enough anymore, if its breaking school rules, detention isn't enough anymore - society is screwed up.

edit on 6-8-2020 by TheResidentAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I hope all these masks at school are fad like yo-yo's once the opinions are taken out and the facts are allowed to surface.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Well, this is interesting:

But students in grades 9 through 12 are exempt from the phone ban, Watters said, and she didn't post the photo until school was over. Watters admitted she broke the policy on posting images of students to social media, but she doesn't regret it.
"I'd like to say this is some good and necessary trouble," Watters said.

CNN

Lynne Watters, the mother of one of the students, said the family is challenging the suspension of her daughter, Hannah, 15. Cell phone use is allowed in between classes and the sophomore waited until after regular school hours to post to social media, her mother said in a text message. “I feel they are selectively enforcing the rule in question,” she wrote, adding that Hannah has never been in trouble at school.

anger intensified with reports that at least one student who photographed the crowded hallway was suspended after being applauded online as a whistleblower.

Superintendent Brian Otott confirmed one suspension during an interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Thursday, and would not say whether the suspension was connected with the photos.

AJC

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

It might be instructive to see how equally the policy is applied though. The school put themselves over a bit of a barrel.
That barrel seems to have been problematic.

“I was happily surprised,” said Hannah Watters, adding that the school called this morning to let her family know that the suspension was dropped.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: VeeTNA
Put. On. A. Mask.

#F*ckMasks

#F*ckYourNewNormal

Get past the belligerent impulses.

Get over your fascist impulses.

Don't put people's lives and their families' lives in danger just because you can.

Don't push a fascist policy ignorantly believeing it is effective when it isn't, other than being effective at pushing your fascist impulses.

#MasksDontWork
#F*ckMasks

Please.

#F*ckMasks

Put on a damn mask for the 4 minutes you're in the store.

Please.

#F*ckYourIrrationalFear
#F*ckMasks
#F*ckYourNewNormal

posted on Aug, 10 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Honestly I'd hate to grow up as a kid in theses ages where every stupid, statement or mistake you ever made can be googled for the rest of your life, possibly affecting college applications, careers or relationships.

If its a crime, doing the time isn't enough anymore, if its breaking school rules, detention isn't enough anymore - society is screwed up.
a reply to: TheResidentAlien

yeah I agree with that it is a symptom of cancel culture and doxxing. not to try and plug anybody but I was lisnteing Greg gotfiled (I might have bitchered his name) but he is on fox news and he was mentioning some ideas to kind of counter cancel culture that is interesting.

posted on Aug, 10 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Like my Drill Sergeant said, lock that # up or we will break it. Its a privilege to have a cell phone lol.

It kind of is.

If the whole world went to NO smart phones and just flip phones with no net it would be a better place!

new topics

top topics

join