It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quadraplegic Sailor Sets Off to Cross the Atlantic with a Sip and a Puff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I've just come across this story which to me exemplifies the power of the Human spirit and what can be done if the will is there , Natasha Lambert was born with Athetoid Cerebral Palsy which affects her limbs and confines her to a wheelchair but her ambition and spirit remain unbound so keen sailor Natasha has just set off on a trip across the Atlantic on her boat called “Blown Away”, it's fitted with a device designed by her father that lets Natasha control the boat with a Sip and Puff’ through a straw to both change direction and raise and lower her sails.

The sip and puff control system was designed and built by Gary Lambert in 2012 using cutting edge technology. The system has proved to be extremely robust and has taken MissIsle Too and Natasha around much of the coast of the British Isles. It is hoped that the system can now be commercially manufactured and used in any sailing vessel that requires it.

Many new adaptions have been applied to the system as the prototype has progressed, perhaps one of the most notable is the addition of the semi-auto sheeting. This allows the onboard computers to activate the sheet winches when Natasha alters course greater than 15 degrees. This is a particularly useful feature as it ensures that the sails are always fully powered. Something that would not otherwise be possible owing to Natasha only having a single straw that either operates the helm or the sheets.
www.missisle.com...

23-year-old Tash set off today (Saturday) on her latest adventure – this time to sail across the Atlantic Ocean on her boat, Blown Away, using the ‘Sip and Puff’ device. She left Cowes today and is heading down to Gibraltar in the first leg of the journey.
onthewight.com...

I'd like to wish Natasha a safe and enjoyable sail across the Atlantic , this thread is to highlight her impressive determination and the fact that we are our only limit , to which Natasha Lambert is a shining example.

edit on 6-8-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

UM okay cool but what happens when there is a storm and it rips a sail or a line? How is she going to repair it?

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

I don't think it's a single handed trip so she will likely have help.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
oh good. for some reason I viewed this in my mind as a solo trip.
a reply to: gortex

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I can't imagine her trying it solo, one big wave and she's fish food.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Good for her !

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Maybe that is the plan

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

top topics

join