It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beirut hit by massive explosion wounding several and damaging buildings

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: Raggedyman

i would have to agree something was cooking off right before they big explosion and i would put dollars to doughnuts that it wasnt fireworks

To cook off ordinance the US army would cover it with fuel and then set off a spark. SOmething similiar went on here.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Lots of little explosions going off prior to the big one...

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Tannerite which is a combo of Amon. Nit and alumin powder will burn like that. I think the first warehouse stored fireworks and the warehouse next to it stores Ammonium nitrate.

edit on 4-8-2020 by Alchemst7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
Wow. So many "experts" here on nuclear detonations and tactical strikes.

Why don't you wait for more evidence to be presented before jumping to conclusions and no, some guy on Twitter is not evidence.

There hasn't been a nuclear attack since 1945. Some people just want to feel special, that they're living in a special time, so they have to convince themselves it was a nuke, even with zero evidence and what little evidence we do have not pointing that direction at all.

Same folks that start WW3 threads every time China, Russia, or any ME country sneezes wrong.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I don't. Just presented as another possibility. Many theories are floating around.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

who said it was a nuke?

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

This is not just your average Arab shipping port. Is it supposed to be world class because of all the different ships loading and unloading there. It is above stupid to have these kinds of materials in close proximity there, and it is so bad, perhaps it was planned that way and few knew about it.

This was such a violation of maritime ergonomics and safety that if any of the major shippers that frequented the place, knew it was being run like that, they would make it public knowledge and boycotted the place until it was fixed.

It will be interesting to hear the story from the management in charge of the port, if they are still alive.

People are "above stupid" and violate safety protocols all the time. That's how these kinds of accidents happen. You'll hear this over and over in HAZMAT training. Most of these kinds of accidents/disasters are caused by negligence and/or human error, and an unlikely sequence of events.

Like I used to tell my Airmen, just because you can't imagine something happening doesn't mean it can't. Real life is more imaginative than you are.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:49 PM
link   

U.S. Military analysts say it was an "Attack" on Beirut. Not an "accident".

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:51 PM
link   

who said it was a nuke?

Did you read the thread. Several people have suggested it could be nuclear.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

U.S. Military analysts say it was an "Attack" on Beirut. Not an "accident".

That's what Trump heard very early on when no one had a clue what happened.

The problem with all these theories that this was Israel is that none of Israel's enemies are saying that. If there was even an inkling of a shred of evidence Israel did this, their enemies would be screaming from the rooftops. They're not.

It's just like the whole moon landing hoax. IF we faked the moon landing, do you honestly think Russia would just sit back and let us have that gigantic propaganda victory if it could be easily proven we faked it?

Same thing. If all these videos and other reports contain "evidence" this was some kind of strike, and it looks like Israel, where's Israel's foes trying to take advantage of that?

Use your heads guys, please. DuckDuckGo "industrial accident." They happen all the time, all over the world. Few reach this scale, but every so many years you have something like this. No sinister explanation is needed.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Gotta link to that because this story contradicts yours.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

who said it was a nuke?

i honestly must have missed it, this thread is growing pretty fast.

what do you think the small explosions were before the big detonation?

why would the US pres say that if it wasnt true, surly he has better intel than most 'DoD officials' making statements to the press

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 12:06 AM
link   

This is not just your average Arab shipping port. Is it supposed to be world class because of all the different ships loading and unloading there. It is above stupid to have these kinds of materials in close proximity there, and it is so bad, perhaps it was planned that way and few knew about it.

This was such a violation of maritime ergonomics and safety that if any of the major shippers that frequented the place, knew it was being run like that, they would make it public knowledge and boycotted the place until it was fixed.

It will be interesting to hear the story from the management in charge of the port, if they are still alive.

People are "above stupid" and violate safety protocols all the time. That's how these kinds of accidents happen. You'll hear this over and over in HAZMAT training. Most of these kinds of accidents/disasters are caused by negligence and/or human error, and an unlikely sequence of events.

Like I used to tell my Airmen, just because you can't imagine something happening doesn't mean it can't. Real life is more imaginative than you are.

In a smaller, unprofessional port, I would agree, however this is the big time and the kind of person that would be in charge of an operation like this would understand HAZMAT protocols and never have this kind of material near an active load and unload station. Something is fishy for sure, or it was a planned attack? Lots more info will come out.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 12:16 AM
link   

who said it was a nuke?

i honestly must have missed it, this thread is growing pretty fast.

what do you think the small explosions were before the big detonation?

why would the US pres say that if it wasnt true, surly he has better intel than most 'DoD officials' making statements to the press

I heard, there were maybe 2 warehouses, one had fireworks, and supposedly one was an old weapons bunker..who knows

According to the Director General of Lebanese Public Security, it was high explosive material, confiscated some time ago.

Ok, so, they say Ammonium Nitrate, seized 6 years ago

edit on 5-8-2020 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2020 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 01:18 AM
link   
In regards to why such explosive materials would be stored in such a manner:

Has no one in this thread encountered the concept on inshallah before? It really is quite maddening for some not raised in the culture. Their "professionals" are not much removed from the masses in that regard.

So far, this looks like an accident. There is no currently available information to suggest otherwise. Out side of "Trump's General's said so." Having said that, there is one curious video from the water. The big explosion was actually two. Only the waterside view shows this from the vids I've seen.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Oh, six year old ammonia nitrate is not explosive at all!

Every movie (heck, the minute my shows on ‘reality TV’ tell you to never touch unexplored ordinance!!

And a factory right next door??

You could see the building on fire before the second one blew a
With a mushroom cloud!!

Something about eggs in one basket...

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 01:54 AM
link   
This vid shows the ferocity of the blast. The person filming it reportedly died and it's easy to see why. RIP.

twitter.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 02:27 AM
link   

In a smaller, unprofessional port, I would agree, however this is the big time and the kind of person that would be in charge of an operation like this would understand HAZMAT protocols and never have this kind of material near an active load and unload station. Something is fishy for sure, or it was a planned attack? Lots more info will come out.

I'm from the UK, used to be press officer for a University. Several times secret night time raids by HAZMAT squads needed to be conducted. One head professor had gone on a years leave and left Plutonium in his office in a glass beaker that was irradiating half the Physics and Maths building. The government and armed forces wanted the event not to be noticed by anyone/any newspapers. It never was despite happening in the middle of a City Centre.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. HAZMAT, especially nuclear stuff aren't followed very closely - we're just better at covering it up. There's a lot more explosive yeild stored in one major UK City next to the main trainstation and very near the port. The UK Gov was about to store Nuclear waste in Limestone caves in Northern England until a proffesor pointed out the chemical reaction would create carbolic acid and the waste wouldn't remain burried for long.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well, the current (and plausible) angle is that c. 2,500 tonnes of ammonium nitrate were left in store in 2013, and somehow has gone up causing (as we know) terrible loss of life and damage. While it's good to hypothesise about other causes, it's a useful thing to note that the smoke was tinged red, which tends to support that the chemical composition was nitrate-based.

Here's a connection, where there are some obvious similarities. Not sure if this has been referenced so far. Texas City explosion of 1947, and also on Wikipedia

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT
This vid shows the ferocity of the blast. The person filming it reportedly died and it's easy to see why. RIP.

twitter.com...

It's amazing how many videos I've seen of the explosion today. It's like the first fire was started so there would be many cameras focused on that area when the big explosion occurred.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join