It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beirut hit by massive explosion wounding several and damaging buildings

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

Just shooting the breeze, but do you think that the chemical smoke being dumped into the atmosphere, from the fireworks, may have provided a literal smokescreen that covered the flash of a battlefield nuke, to a point? I've no idea if that's plausible, but it just crossed my mind after reading your reply.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Story is forming that this was a massive store of Ammonium Nitrate fertilizer.

I don't know if they have similar regs out there, but in most western countries, it is treated to stop it being so explosive.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Talk Radio UK just reporting from British base Akrotiri explosion heard and felt in Cyprus and Turkish coast

to add 3 x explosions heard in Akrotiri
edit on 4-8-2020 by ufoorbhunter because: interviewing Brit who heard 3 x explosions

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Well, regardless of what caused it, it should be labelled as the most convenient explosion of the year a whole port destroyed and and economy that was already crippled, now even more so.

Not gonna' lie, it doesn't look, at all, like a fireworks explosion. Anyone with vision in even one eye can see that, unless they're the most powerful fireworks in the world....
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Wow. So many "experts" here on nuclear detonations and tactical strikes.

Why don't you wait for more evidence to be presented before jumping to conclusions and no, some guy on Twitter is not evidence.

Until then, feel sorry for the people that died and those whose lives were forever changed.

#inbeforethisturnspolitical

edit on 4-8-2020 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   
twitter.com...

Look at the water when the shockwave hits.. woah

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

That video turned my stomach - bless them, they didn't stand a chance. Clothes burnt off them, easily a dozen dead in that 20 second clip. Likely that the video will be taken down due to graphic content, but the impact of seeing that really does give one pause for thought.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

Informaing people they must start feeling sorry for the dead is a bit weird mate. Most people will feel sorry for them without the need for a prompt. And nobody on here is an expert in nuclear detonations, but we've all seen enough of them to know that what we're seeing in Beirut is quite possibly an equivalent to a nuclear blast, based on the destructive shockwave, the cloud, the total destruction wrought in a single moment. We're not saying it's definitely a nuke, but it's a line of enquiry, for sure.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
So there's definitely something going on. Hezbollah is currently on trial for the 2005 truck bomb that killed the Lebanese prime minister.

We all know Iran arms and funds Hezbollah and that they bring it in through this very port.

There's a high likelihood of someone tipping Israel on a shipment and the intention of Hezbollah to construct another truck bomb in the warehouse district under the cover of the fireworks facility.

Israel has no qualms about bombing these types of weapons transfers wherever they can reach them.

Israel can and will fly their F35s over and beyond Lebanon with no fear of being targeted.

"The massive explosion that occurred in Beirut, Lebanon, has happened at a particularly tense time in the country. NBC News’ Bill Neely reports that members of the Iranian group Hezbollah are on trial for the 2005 explosion that killed Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik al-Hariri." -NBC news

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: KindraLaBelle

Doesnt look similar to that second blast at all.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Furthermore it was not a nuke, there's no blinding flash, plasma ball, etc. This is a normal chemical high energy explosion.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

But was funny to say that and add 'before it gets political'. I don't disagree with him, I think a lot of us roll our eyes at all of the professional economists, politicians and virologists there appears to be on this site.

Just to add, I commented I'm no expert on nuclear detonations, but I did take physics and have seen many vid's of nuclear detonations and based upon the physics and pictures we have seen previously I have not ever seen a nuclear detonation without a flash of some sort. That doesn't mean I'm an expert or even correct in this nature, just pointing out some basics. If you have studied nuclear reactions it is pretty basic that light is part of the reaction and the energy that is released as part of the reaction. Cold war era training also told people not to look at a reaction as they would be blinded by the light release.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Beirut explosion was a assassination.

There was breaking news early this morning about Israel striking Syria. Could be related?

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I was browsing Twatter and people keep talking about it being nuclear, but if was nuclear, that whole town and all the people filming would be dust now.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
a reply to: mzinga

Just shooting the breeze, but do you think that the chemical smoke being dumped into the atmosphere, from the fireworks, may have provided a literal smokescreen that covered the flash of a battlefield nuke, to a point? I've no idea if that's plausible, but it just crossed my mind after reading your reply.

I dont think its plausible-the flash from a nuke is not something you can miss,also there would be at the very least electrical distrubances/noise on ALL the footage of the explosion.

Many cameras nearby would instantly fail at the point of the flash,and this is not evident here.

I was reading about the insanity of nuclear blasts recently,and read that you can be permenently blinded by the flash even if you are not facing it-as it can go through the back of your skull,through the brain and fry your optic nerves.

The scale of tis explosion may come close to something like the am explosion test they did just prior to the Trinity test-which was a 1000 ton TNT explosion to give the manhattan project engineers an idea of the size of a nuke but with conventional explosives IIRC.

Still absolutley massive in scale.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Major General Abbas Ibrahim, head of Lebanon's General Directorate of General Security, reportedly said in a televised interview that the container that was the source of the initial fire and explosion contained confiscated “high explosive materials" and that it would be "naive to describe such an explosion as due to fireworks."

Head of General Security says the blast was caused by a fire in a depot of highly explosive material, including Sodium nitrate, at Beirut's port. He said that material was confiscated from a ship months ago and stored there. #Lebanon

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Been watching some vids of fertilizer explosions on youtube and what i saw was that the actual building was on fire first before the explosion (A raging fire) whereas with this Explosion in Lebanon, that building didn't look on fire before the huge explosion went off, also on this one there was a huge white cloud, not so on the texas one for example.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Head of Lebanese Christian Kateab party dies in this explosion.

mobile.twitter.com... f_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-1677374241303697864.ampproject.net%2F2007102309001%2Fframe.html

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChrisM101
Major General Abbas Ibrahim, head of Lebanon's General Directorate of General Security, reportedly said in a televised interview that the container that was the source of the initial fire and explosion contained confiscated “high explosive materials" and that it would be "naive to describe such an explosion as due to fireworks."

Head of General Security says the blast was caused by a fire in a depot of highly explosive material, including Sodium nitrate, at Beirut's port. He said that material was confiscated from a ship months ago and stored there. #Lebanon

Sodium Nitrate is not usually combustible on it's own. It is an oxidizer which require fuel and a catalyst ( Carbon, Sulfur in simple gunpowder but usually metallic powders in other explosives)
edit on 4-8-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   
twitter.com...

Closeup of the factory. You can hear and see the constant fireworks/explosions. I really hope this guy made it out, I have my doubts. He sure as hell uploaded it fast, if that is what happened.

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join