It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sociology is not a Science

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Sociology is not a science, and why it is even regarded as such in post secondary is outright...blasphemy since it really doesnt perform under scrutiny and lacks any real basis or application to reality at all.

Reason why I wrote this was due to a t.v show that my mate was watching, and one the characters, a female was a super brainiac and knew all this science supposedly an had a background in sociology or a relative.

Some would argue it the study of mix an mingling, it is not, and seems to be much more scruituble about how one should behave, rather then as to why one behaves the way the do, or how to help in a sense.

Meanwhile, there are or were a bunch of other academics that are much more elaborate an in depth regarding human behaviour versus's Sociology.
Programs like Civics, an Ethics regarding rights an freedoms an how to respect your fellow being. Where as Psychology or even Criminology dissects reasons or the lack of behind of why some act the way they do.

Sociology sounds like a gaint mud pile, slopped together while taking sources from other forms of academics. The only application I can see it being used for is for Social Services dealing with mentally disabled where as cops should not deal with out of control mental patients. Even then though they will be calling 911 with someone who is out of control and wont or just cant listen to reason since they are not actually mentally fit for it, and sound like lazy over paid shrinks that suck.

Saying it is a science is no different then saying picking up women is one...when it isnt, it an art form.

Besides, Socialogy thinks art offensive anyways.

edit on 4-8-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Specimen88

There are lots of political figures with sociology degrees....

Go figure..

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Reason why I wrote this was due to a t.v show that my mate was watching, and one the characters, a female was a super brainiac and knew all this science supposedly an had a background in sociology or a relative.

That's your problem right there..."mate & I & TV"

lol

owlcation.com...

This article will briefly discuss these areas and why sociologists are interested in them.
Social Organization. Source. ...
Sociological Social Psychology. Source. ...
Social Change. Source. ...
Human Ecology. Source. ...
Population and Demographics. ...
Applied Sociology. ...
Sociological Methods & Research.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen88
Meanwhile, there are or were a bunch of other academics that are much more elaborate an in depth regarding human behaviour versus's Sociology.
Programs like Civics, an Ethics regarding rights an freedoms an how to respect your fellow being. Where as Psychology or even Criminology dissects reasons or the lack of behind of why some act the way they do.

Criminality, ethics and civic interactions in society are all components of Sociology.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Criminality, ethics and civic interactions in society are all components of Sociology.

True, and it should be, but in reality, an end results it doesnt seem like that is what they are teaching though.

I am more then likely generalizing, but take their take on how racism/sexism get thrown around for example. Doesnt really get down into the mind frame of why a person is racists or sexist, and the answer is they should be thrown into jail, versus's actually socializing an psychologically analyzing them.

The lame excuse from a lefty I guess, is that it genetically inherited, where as one with reason would say they were taught to hate. From an ideal criminal/psychologist pov they would try to poke an prod an answer from their own observations.

True though, they would be deemed as such I guess, but from what I'm seeing, it hardly even a science when they all try to be artists...so it should not be a science ether. I see what your pointing out at.

Nether should psychology be one I guess ether, but it is.

Besides most academic programs removed those in the above an replaced them with social sciences if I'm not mistaken.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   

How doesn't Sociology fit into the definition of science?

Science: the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

How doesn't Sociology fit into the definition of science?

Science: the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Simple answer, the Left.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I am more then likely generalizing, but take their take on how racism/sexism get thrown around for example. Doesnt really get down into the mind frame of why a person is racists or sexist, and the answer is they should be thrown into jail, versus's actually socializing an psychologically analyzing them.

Who is 'they' and do you have any examples of 'them' doing this?

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Definitely not the Trump supporters, who will apparently blast off into space faster then their opponents.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Wrong. I've only one thing for you: look up the definition of this suffix.
-ology

1st year medical terminology..oh yeah there...."ology".

Duh
-

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I knew this would come down to a 'Republicans persecuted!' thesis. You poor people, destroyed by 'them'.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Yea, an I think both sides are morons, just Trump is a lesser of two evils coming this wrestlemania that I'm hoping he will win the title of World Champion...for your guys sake mainly.

So who am I persecuting or being persecuted by? Cause last time I checked Republicans wanted to replace ethics an psychology with Religion, while the Liberals used to want math an #.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Yea but it is lazy one that is attempting to cover all aspects, that apparently makes them all doctors...doctors of what, everything.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   

At this point I don't even know what you're trying to convey.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Nether do I guess. Maybe my issue was getting into a foreign nation businesses that keeps showing up on t.v an the internet.

Well, that what I get for taking words of mouth to seriously.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Maybe I should of asked you this simple question for simplicity an clarification in the first place?

If Socialogy is a science, does that make them scientists?

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Yes, to a degree.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   

a reply to: mysterioustranger

Yea but it is lazy one that is attempting to cover all aspects, that apparently makes them all doctors...doctors of what, everything.

Hey there. Couldn't agree more on that.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Maybe I should of asked you this simple question for simplicity an clarification in the first place?

If Socialogy is a science, does that make them scientists?

And may I add here...yes. Considered a "social-science"...so add that...

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Yea, my bad guys, my bad...

So in some form it should be deemed as a science, but only supplementary to an in theory in their respective fields? Where as from what I'm gathering, that Socialogy some broad field that explains people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join