It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Suburban Voters, Joe Biden's Housing Policies Will Ruin Your Communities

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Does the greed have any further to extend??
I am reading through these posts and to be honest...
I am wondering just what reality, what parallel universe some of yous are from.
I spent a good part of my childhood living in the downtown area with its rat infested alleys. Both my mom and my father worked, and yet for most of my childhood, we didnt even own a car. But, across the street and up a few houses... lived my doctor.. the superintendent of public works lived in the flats. When I lived in texas, there were million dollar mansions nestled in between those poor neighborhoods.
Eventually, my father managed to get a better paying job and we move out of the downtown area, literally to the other side of the tracks to a more secluded area with open fields, a pond, cornfields, and cows that occasionally broke lose and wandered through our yards. The house wasnt the greatest, but it wasnt the worst and the most dilapidated occupied house I've ever seen was on that hill.
Then they started revitalizing, the rat infested alleys disappeared. The run down homes were transformed, new apartment complexes were built, ect. My kids spent some of their childhood years in housing that could of been subsidized, if we could only qualify, which we didnt. And there were times when we couldnt handle that rent and well... ended up having to settle for housing that didnt fit the standards for hud... my husband always worked, if the economy killed off the machinist jobs, he go to something else. Roofing, paving driveways, driving trucks across country. And, alot of our neighbors also worked.
Like I said initially, yous have to be talking about the big cities, much bigger than the ones i lived in. Got news for ya we would have never been able to afford the thousand dollar a month rent for those rat infested trash heaps in the city! Not that we wanted to live in them anyways.

But some of the generalizations presented here as to who is using these govt programs just dont fit any reality I have seen except in places like syracuse, Rochester, or buffalo. And then, I am assuming much to think they would fit your description.

Every area of the country needs low income residents just as much as they do middle class residents. It would seem that the most effective method of designing an area would be to enable a balance in the population that reflects the need in the workforce for that area, if that were possible. And, it seems that isolating your burb from the low income earners and having them live somewhere off in the distance would be the least effective.. unless of course, you dont mind having to travel 20 or so miles to the nearest gas station so the low income cashier can turn on the gas pump for ya.

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

Does the greed have any further to extend??

No.
It doesn't as long as citizens wake up and not vote Democratic to allow AFFH restored.
edit on Tue Aug 4 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: clarity

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: 3sixand9

The people struggling, (from your camp), are struggling because they don't want a job. Tons of jobs out there right now. Nobody wants to work because covid, and your political party turns a blind eye that it's BILL GATES WHO IS RESPONSIBLE. Create your own opinion without watching msm , chump.
People who blame Trump, are like people who eternally blame their parents for becoming derelicts.
Take responsibility losers.

edit on 4-8-2020 by PharoahSpiderMan because: 🇺🇸

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: PharoahSpiderMan
a reply to: 3sixand9

The people struggling, (from your camp), are struggling because they don't want a job. Tons of jobs out there right now. Nobody wants to work because covid, and your political party turns a blind eye that it's BILL GATES WHO IS RESPONSIBLE. Create your own opinion without watching msm , chump.
People who blame Trump, are like people who eternally blame their parents for becoming derelicts.
Take responsibility losers.

edit on 4-8-2020 by PharoahSpiderMan because: Duplicate

posted on Aug, 4 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

1. De-segregate our country's neighborhoods. Using initiatives like the one detailed in this thread. To be 100% honest with you, I dont have any fresh Ideas on how to do that.

I'd have to see the details on that to agree. I like the principle, but how to accomplish that principle is the hard part.

Many of these neighborhoods self-segregate. One large issue is that too often, those who wind up being a part of them do so because they can't move out and the crime wave that typically accompanies low-income housing forces those who can afford to move to do so. The result is segregation, not necessarily of race, but of class.

If we just try to move people out without addressing the crime issue, we simply import crime into new areas, which are then decimated and self-segregate again to create the same problem as before. At the same time, those who can afford to leave are once again forced to do so. That's not a solution; it's a can kick.

We have to address the problem at the source once and for all: crime. We have to remove the criminals, then we can try to help those who are left to rebuild. And before you jump, yes, I understand that the conditions are part of the reason for the crime wave. Actually, I believe it is the hopelessness of the situation, but whatever it is, the cycle must be broken.

2. Increase our education budgets. Somehow the schools in the city with the most students get less funding that suburban schools. Increase voucher programs that allow inner city students to attend suburban schools/private schools... AND create unique, higher education advancement programs in the inner city schools and allow students from the suburbs to participate

Simply increasing budgets won't work. I do, however, accept that inner-city schools get less funding than more affluent schools, and that is wrong. Funding should be per child, adjusted for difficulties in the environment (which would give inner cities an extra share of funds), not by any other metric.

I do agree with you on voucher programs (and I would like to see some transportation assistance for those who choose to avail themselves), and I do like the idea of creating higher education opportunities. Might I suggest trade schools... that would play into another of your suggestions.

3. Create a Federal program for the homeless, wherein they personally are hired to help BUILD public housing. They learn construction trades and after its all done they have job experience, a little cash, and a place to live that they helped build.

That is actually in line with what I earlier proposed. I lOVE the idea! It smacks of my favorite charity, Habitat for Humanity.

That is "skin in the game" and a reason to take pride in one's surroundings.

4. Bring back public mental health institutions.

We need to have good mental health infrastructure once before bringing it back. The mental institutions of yesteryear were called "asylums" and were not nice places.

We need to have mental health infrastructure, agreed. However, we must guard against using them more as an excuse than an assistance. I guess I lean more toward some sort of social infrastructure than a "mental health" infrastructure, because "mental health" has been taken to include simple personality differences and used to berate people and lock them away without good reason. It does not take an asylum to treat depression or develop healthy social relationships.

5. Laws that make sure residents in gentrifying neighborhoods are treated fairly, are offered fair money for their property, and are offered reduced cost housing in new developments for a time period.

I'm not sure I understand the intricacies on this issue. We're talking tenants, right? Not homeowners? Is there a problem where homeowners are being forced to sell out for less than a fair amount?

That's a legitimate question. I am not trying to be obtuse here. I want you to educate me.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I think all of this dies at the Supreme Court if it even needs to go that far.

Oh, and for what it's worth, New Jersey already does #3 on the list. Part of the monstrous property tax bill I have goes out of town to pay for broke ass Newark, Irvington, East Orange and Orange. That however was mandated by our Supreme Court to show you how it may look for others.

Have the Gov leaders ever had a problem spending other peoples money? How do we make it more realistic?

OH my God! What the .... AM I would say move but never is that an easy choice. They just can't spend enough of other peoples money. When we reset this we are going to have to do user fees instead of Property Taxes and income. If I need to do something like cross a bridge or use the express lanes I am willing to pay for that if I want to go to the other side bad enough. My visits to your area sure did that TOO though.

ETA for the naysayers

The Gov will be able to give the poor access to public transportation that can't afford to pay and build that into the fees. That fact that the Lawmaker class inevitably gets to touch the money and take their cut has to be corrected.

edit on 5-8-2020 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I think all of this dies at the Supreme Court if it even needs to go that far.

Oh, and for what it's worth, New Jersey already does #3 on the list. Part of the monstrous property tax bill I have goes out of town to pay for broke ass Newark, Irvington, East Orange and Orange. That however was mandated by our Supreme Court to show you how it may look for others.

Every time I think about how brutal property tax is here in the Chicago suburbs, I remember a buddy of mine in NJ with a similar home to mine, paying twice what I pay.

To put THAT in perspective, my in-laws have a similar home in UP Michigan, but on 2.5 acres as opposed to my 0.5 acres and pay 1/12th what I pay.

Found myself a nice 6000 acre property in Wyoming - besides the day to day and raising a family, that's what I'm working toward.

I love my neighborhood, the kids' school is top-notch and they love it, crime consists primarily of people who have illegally made their motorcycles louder than they came from the factory (and they get away with it!)

But when the kids are done with school and my money's been made and saved, I'm skating out of here. Will have had my fill of paying for roads, schools, police, fire, etc for the majority of Illinois who want the "good stuff" but don't pay for it (not to mention paying for the decades of Democrat and Republican corruption and robbery in Illinois.)

If they get away with such plans, people will simply make changes. They'll leave the suburbs, but not necessarily be driven to the city. They'll move further out. There's less and less need to be located anywhere in particular.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Nice.

I love Wyoming, one of my favorite state visit. The people are great, the scenery is amazing and the food scene isn't bad either.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   

a reply to: dogstar23

Nice.

I love Wyoming, one of my favorite state visit. The people are great, the scenery is amazing and the food scene isn't bad either.

And the Bed and Breakfast options are interesting to say the least.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

So, you're pro-ghetto? You're pro-segregating poor people from normal people, and keeping it that way by depriving certain neighborhoods of equal standard in public schools, housing, public transportation and civic perks like parks and community centers?

i was much happier when there weren't gunshots in my parents neighborhood. That never happened before the hud home signs started popping up. They worked most of my childhood saving to build their house. 15 years later it's no longer safe to take an evening walk. If those hud home residents had to work that hard for what they have then that wouldn't have happened.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Another article about this Democratic disaster:

It's not about race, despite what they claim:
nypost.com...

In Westchester, County Executive Rob Astorino battled the Obama-Biden administration for years, successfully resisting the baseless smear of racism. Zoning laws limit what can be built in a neighborhood in neutral fashion, Astorino explained, not who can live there.

To be absolutely clear, denying anyone the chance to rent or buy a home because of their race is abhorrent and illegal. It should be prosecuted whenever it still happens.

African Americans have been steadily leaving inner cities and choosing suburban lifestyles, according to Brookings Institution data. Many families — of all races — want the peace of mind of letting their kids ride bikes around quiet neighborhood streets. That’s what zoning laws provide.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3sixand9

Hey Trumpster, America's going through the worst contraction in US History, retailers are cutting manager positions and closing down stores. Millions on unemployment with benefits set to expire during the worst pandemic in modern history and no end in sight. And then we have the trade war that has stretched our FED to its limits and left American farmers underwater

Your community doesn't have four more years with Trump as President

Yes, and the left is absolutely GIDDY over what is going on. Ever notice how the "pandemic" started almost to the DAY the impeachment proceedings ended? Leftist pundits were saying for months before that the only way to stop Trump was to crash the economy. If you are worried about the end of communities, you better change parties from the one that wants to END the United states as we know it.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   
More about it, from American Thinker.
Maybe the suburbs are a winning issue after all

People of all races, colors, and creeds move to the suburbs for the same reasons: single-family homes with big gardens on wide streets that have minimal traffic and quality, safe schools that aren't too far away from home. It's all about raising children where they can safely play outdoors and get a good education. These things are the opposite of what one finds in a densely populated city.

Read the article, and take a gander at some of the stellar Democratic "leaders"...you have to shake your head.

No wonder, then, that a Rasmussen poll has good news for Trump:

Voters strongly agree with President Trump's decision to end an Obama-era regulation intended to push low-income housing into more affluent neighborhoods in the name of racial diversity.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 83% of Likely U.S. Voters say the federal government should not play a role in deciding where people can live. Just 10% disagree. (To see survey question wording, click here.) (Emphasis added.)

One of the reasons Trump succeeded in 2016 and will succeed again (we hope) in 2020 is that he understands that most Americans want what's best for their children. Rather than trashing suburbs, a smart president — and that would be Trump — should be ensuring their growth. As the leftists like to say, "It's for the children!"

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join