It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Suburban Voters, Joe Biden's Housing Policies Will Ruin Your Communities

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

The most impoverished communities are already receiving the lion's share of tax dollars for schools, policing, community centers, public transportation, etc. It has been a failed experiment as it is now proven that more tax dollar "investment" doesn't yield greater community involvement and pride from the residents receiving the hand outs.

The system you're championing is woefully broken and self debasing. The fact is that a community's residents will ultimately decide how much squalor they're OK with and will make changes to either improve their communities or not, regardless of any tax dollar spending. We need #holes because that's the type of location some seem to want to live in.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Wait a sec, I thought the police were bad still? Or have we moved on from that talking point?

As for the rest of it, you'll get nicer parks and community centers and they'll fall into a state of disrepair shortly. Public transportation, same issue as the parks and community centers. Fire departments, I've seen nothing but outstanding performance from any of them so nothing to say there really.

However public education and schools, regardless of how much you provide those, even if they are staffed with the best educators in the world, you can not force people to learn. Unfortunately from a cultural standpoint in these types of areas there is not a an underlying culture of bettering yourself through education. So what fixes that underlying problem? Are the schools dangerous and inept because of lack of government spending, or are they dangerous and inept due to the population that attends the school?

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Okay. Numbers don't lie. Do they?

www.thebalance.com...#:~:text=U.S.%20GDP%20by%20Year%20Since%201929%20Compared%20to,%20Trade%20war%20%2047%20more%20rows%2 0

But, Obama inherited a negative growth stat, and Trump borrowed money from our kids and their kids to pay for his temporary growth spike, that has now bottomed out.

Back to the topic...
THE SKY IS FALLING[/B] Joe Biden going to take your suburbs away!

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
FDR did not prolong the great depression, he saved the working class and that's why during his second election he won all by two states (the whitest states) in the Union and beat his republican contender by over 11 million votes. Back when Americans knew which side buttered their bread

You folks are delusional
edit on 3-8-2020 by 3sixand9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I can think of a great example of this (gentrification) being Harlem and Brooklyn in NY. Those #holes were turned around when people with money started investing in them. They opened offices there or bought property there (cough....Clinton) but it eventually sparked an interest for other investors.
Where the ghetto-goblins in those places went I don't know
edit on 3-8-2020 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

We need #holes because that's the type of location some seem to want to live in.

You're just going to boil it down to the hierarchy of class society then?

I'd like to hear your solution to these issues. And I can bet it will sound something along the lines of what Friedman would come up with "less government, more private enterprise". In terms of 'less government' I can agree, less government pandering to the rich and corporate arms. Has the issue of stagnant wages ever crossed your mind? Has predatory real estate rackets ever cross your mind? A lot of people are in poor living conditions not by choice, but because of how they are kept down by a machine to keep them there. It's expensive to be poor, and it's almost impossible to get out of welfare when in it. The whole system needs a revamp, throwing money at the suburbs, which Trump proposes by the way, or doing what the democrats are proposing isn't going to really fix anything, but it sure will put more people on the streets.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
I can think of a great example of this (gentrification) being Harlem and Brooklyn in NY. Those #holes were turned around when people with money started investing in them. They opened offices there or bought property there (cough....Clinton) but it eventually sparked an interest for other investors.

If it's anything like Vancouver, they moved to outlying neighbourhoods and suburbs and turned them into ghettos, so the suburbs moved further away into what used to be the rural communities.
edit on 3/8/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I don't believe you can, or should, save people from themselves, strong. Simple as that... programs that make personal failure tenable perpetuate the continuation of acceptance of personal failure. Lack of those programs would press the average person to better themselves. Some will continue to refuse to better themselves and, in a nation built on freedom, we must permit them to make that decision and move on.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Wait a sec, I thought the police were bad still? Or have we moved on from that talking point?

Sorry. I don't live in the box that you've created for me inside your head. Stop paying rent for the invisible ghouls that are residing there, inside your head.

Unfortunately from a cultural standpoint in these types of areas there is not a an underlying culture of bettering yourself through education.

Yeah? You're not a bigot at all! /sarc

edit on 3-8-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
link   

No. I won't throw the entire congressional body under the bus. There are good people on both sides.

RACIST!!!!!!!!!

At least it was when Donald Trump said those exact same words.

TheRedneck

link   
And just like that constatina wire and sand bags became the new trend in yard decor...

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Every post recession growth comes after negative growth, that's why it's a recession. You don't include the negative growth periods. Obama's growth is the worst in history. Sorry you like good feels and not facts.

link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

At least it was when Donald Trump said those exact same words.

No. I was careful NOT to quote The Don. He said there were "very fine people" on both sides. I said "good people" on both sides!

link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

Chicago.

I hear a few moved on to Portland and Seattle.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Yep. Okay. FDR's recovery is looking pretty good though, yeah?

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

It's expensive to be poor

Not sure where you get that, but

and it's almost impossible to get out of welfare when in it.

True that.

Which brings us back to the issue of FDR... he started welfare. But another poster said he was some sort of savior for the poor. I'm so confused!

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Yeah...that's NOT a good thing.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3sixand9

FDR did not prolong the great depression, he saved the working class and that's why during his second election he won all by two states (the whitest states) in the Union and beat his republican contender by over 11 million votes. Back when Americans knew which side buttered their bread

You folks are delusional

UCLA disagrees with you.
www.ff.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

And when monopoly starts to dig it's heels in then what? The real estate industry when left to it's own 'demise' has proven itself to become a monster, private property really does show a loop hole in the capitalist, or free market system. Those who control most wealth inevitably control the most real estate, and can easily, easily dictate peoples lives, and force gentrification, or famine, or what ever.
I agree that some programs do more harm than good, like a welfare state, but some people have no choice. They aren't given the opportunities or even have a chance to grab one even if it's wagged in their face. The opportunity of equal outcome might never happen obviously, but the opportunity to just work ONE stable job, or afford rent or have access to stable transportation, clean drinking water, etc. is an outcome that ALL citizens should have access too.
The 'markets' won't always balance themselves out, the markets tend to become a ring of highly - organized crime.

If we stay on topic, I think what the Dems are proposing isn't in the best interest of the average joe, it's just creating more class warfare to be honest.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I hear a few moved on to Portland and Seattle.

TheRedneck

A few????????????????

Actually it seems gangs from CA have moved up north more in the last 6+ years... I remember when they moved up from LA to Sac area a few decades ago. The homeless, violence, gang shootings, drugs are all getting the best of Portland now. Honest workers/businesses are leaving and the alt left is telling the homeless to get off their lawns.

I think everyone is getting kind of sick of it all, but the Mayor just keeps on trucking along..

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join