It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faith is nothing.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

"Science Without Religion Is Lame And Religion Without Science Is Blind" - Albert Einstein.

Our knowledge is imperfect. The more you probe into science the more you see that there are things that we just don't know. We have this tiny speck of vision in a vast universe of the unseen and unknown.

The belief that, through science, have all the answers, is a baseless faith in our own ignorance.

The hardest thing for some people is to admit that we don't know, either way.

edit on 3/8/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   

But didn't Alexander have Faith when he set out into Persia?

He must have had so much Faith he seemed stupid and rash and foolhardy.

Then he proceeded to prove Faith had value especially on a battlefield.

I could go over a thousand cases where trusting your gut instincts and believing in yourself against all odds led to all the important events in human history. From invention to science to architecture or just a great author.

That "Faith" was the prerequisite for success. They need motivation to try harder and look for better ideas. Without it a little ridicule would have knocked Edison or Bell so far off their path we wouldn't even know their name...

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

I don't know if he was sent by God.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

"Science Without Religion Is Lame And Religion Without Science Is Blind" - Albert Einstein.

Our knowledge is imperfect. The more you probe into science the more you see that there are things that we just don't know. We have this tiny speck of vision in a vast universe of the unseen and unknown.

The belief that, through science, have all the answers, is a baseless faith in our own ignorance.

I estimate that our current body of knowledge is still grossly inaccurate and the human race collectively hasn't seen 1% of 1% of anything in this universe yet.

And if you include how easily set off track (from direct immediate technological and civil advancement) by things like entertainment and culture, basic needs, politics and propaganda, base desires and vices like greed and gluttony, etc etc --- than we are being set back even 99.9% further.

We're stuck in ego - profits lust pleasure revenge whatever. We want it all now but this lack of virtue leads to having nothing ever.

We have thousands of nukes and yet act like this?

You really wanna know how scary stupid we are go research the development of the Mk 14 torpedo (and the magnetic detonator also used in some mines) history up till what happened in Vietnam w the solar EM spike.

Talk about no one ever wanting to admit something "might be wrong"...

This attitude is the undoing of us all.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

It's just an example how office politics and hierarchical systems lead to complete disaster.

And it happens all the time.
All the time!!

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

God isn't going to drag you into heaven or the new Earth.

That expresses my faith.
I believe that I have not had the burden of immortality placed upon me.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   

One day the world will have spoken its last word.

Projections from Wikipedia - Earth:

Earth is expected to be habitable until the end of photosynthesis about 500 million years from now,
About a billion years from now, all surface water will have disappeared
The Sun will evolve to become a red giant in about 5 billion years.
Earth's orbit will eventually decay due to tidal effects and drag, causing it to enter the Sun's atmosphere and be vaporized.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

When one refuses to acknowledge the accuracy of the prophetic word then I can see why you do not believe that there will be a destruction of this fallen universe and creation of a new one without sin. You like to spout scripture yet you do not believe it.

edit on 3-8-2020 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

2 Timothy 3

16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

So I looked up the Greek word for Scripture. It's graphé; which literally means A document. It isn't a special word used only by Christians. It isn't copyrighted. Regular people can use the word for regular everyday matters.

I try to restrict my quoting of writings which may be contained in the Christian Canon of writings to those matters dealing with every day (mundane) matters. Sometimes that is hard to do because mundane matters are often interwoven with ideas of a non-mundane nature. In such cases I endeavor to comment upon the mundane alone even if I quote a whole verse.

Occasionally I cross the line and comment on what I should not comment on.
For that I am sorry.

But I am happy to help in mundane matters

edit on 3-8-2020 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   
You don't believe the bible are you not a hypocrite for quoting it? Are you doomed in your humanist mindset? The fool says there is no God.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I don't think I'm a hypocrite for quoting it. Hypocrites are actors. I don't quote it at open mic, so I should be OK.

Are you doomed in your humanist mindset?

Do you mean like doomed to die? Well yeah, of course. I might have to look up humanist though.

The fool says there is no God.

I'm going to add that to my list of sound advice. Thank you

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   

You may not care but one day your life will end then one day you will stand before the great white throne of judgement, I would not want to be in your place at that time. There is an old saying "Many who plan to seek God iat the eleventh hour die at 10:30". Another saying is die once live twice, live once die twice.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

2 Timothy 3

16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

So I looked up the Greek word for Scripture. It's graphé; which literally means A document. It isn't a special word used only by Christians. It isn't copyrighted. Regular people can use the word for regular everyday matters.

I try to restrict my quoting of writings which may be contained in the Christian Canon of writings to those matters dealing with every day (mundane) matters. Sometimes that is hard to do because mundane matters are often interwoven with ideas of a non-mundane nature. In such cases I endeavor to comment upon the mundane alone even if I quote a whole verse.

Occasionally I cross the line and comment on what I should not comment on.
For that I am sorry.

But I am happy to help in mundane matters

So, is a Harry Potter book, or Fifty Shades of Grey, or a newspaper, scripture, by your definition?

edit on 3/8/2020 by chr0naut because: Waves wand "reductio ad absurdum"!

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Only the answers that can be derived from practical examination. There are other kinds of answers science was never supposed to provide.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

So, is a Harry Potter book, or Fifty Shades of Grey, or a newspaper, scripture, by your definition?

It isn't my definition. It's a common Greek word. So yes. And graffiti, bumper stickers, tee shirts.

Whether they are good uses or bad uses depends on the intent of the user. Some propogandists can use perfectly good quotes to quite ill effect. And contrarywise, bad writings may be used to good effect.

Check this out.
1 Cor 3

18Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. 19For the wisdom of this world is folly with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their craftiness,” 20and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” 21So let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, 22whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, 23and you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.

I may disagree with Paul on these matters, but his list is pretty extensive. The World has lots of writings in it. Christians seem to be at liberty to use it.

I'm tempted to use devices of rhetoric in order to pretend that worldly wisdom is different than Earth wisdom so as to trick Christians into thinking that I have more credibility than I deserve.

I should probably make that distinction for my own purpose not related to trickery.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

It isn't my definition. It's a common Greek word. So yes. And graffiti, bumper stickers, tee shirts.

Whether they are good uses or bad uses depends on the intent of the user. Some propogandists can use perfectly good quotes to quite ill effect. And contrarywise, bad writings may be used to good effect.

Check this out.
1 Cor 3

18Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. 19For the wisdom of this world is folly with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their craftiness,” 20and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” 21So let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, 22whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, 23and you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.

I may disagree with Paul on these matters, but his list is pretty extensive. The World has lots of writings in it. Christians seem to be at liberty to use it.

I'm tempted to use devices of rhetoric in order to pretend that worldly wisdom is different than Earth wisdom so as to trick Christians into thinking that I have more credibility than I deserve.

I should probably make that distinction for my own purpose not related to trickery.

Even before the writer of 2 timothy, it is also true that the Hebrew Torah and Rabinical texts were commonly referred to as "the writings". What was being spoken about is evident from the contextual clues of the writers and the topic.

Similarly, I doubt that there is much confusion about the question of whether religious works were specifically referred to here or secular writing in general.

edit on 3/8/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Only the answers that can be derived from practical examination. There are other kinds of answers science was never supposed to provide.

How many have actually witnessed the universal singularity or speciation events? These ideas are built upon inferences we have made from observation and a whole lot of supposition. But you don't disregard them because no-one has actually observed them. Because then you'd be left with almost nothing.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Jesus Christ is the most powerful name in the universe.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: carsforkids

Jesus Christ is the most powerful name in the universe.

Even greys and insectisoids flee at the mention of His name.

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Another saying is die once live twice, live once die twice.

I had a really hard time with this one. I wanted a loophole to avoid dying twice. But all the verses that came to mind didn't help me, because much disingenuous rhetoric would be required.

But then:
1 Cor 6

1When one of you has a grievance against another, does he dare go to law before the unrighteous instead of the saints? 2Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? 3Do you not know that we are to judge angels?

And the Unjust Steward parable.

He also said to the disciples, “There was a rich man who had a manager, and charges were brought to him that this man was wasting his possessions. And he called him and said to him, ‘What is this that I hear about you? Turn in the account of your management, for you can no longer be manager.’ And the manager said to himself, ‘What shall I do, since my master is taking the management away from me? I am not strong enough to dig, and I am ashamed to beg. I have decided what to do, so that when I am removed from management, people may receive me into their houses.’ So, summoning his master's debtors one by one, he said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ He said, ‘A hundred measures of oil.’ He said to him ‘Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.’ Then he said to another, ‘And how much do you owe?’ He said, ‘A hundred measures of wheat.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bill, and write eighty.’ The master commended the dishonest manager for his shrewdness. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own generation than the sons of light. And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth, so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal dwellings.

“One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? And if you have not been faithful in that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own? No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.”

— Luke 16:1-13, English Standard Version

========================================================
So here's my plan: Make friends with a whole lot of Christians. And in the judgement they can plead my case:
=========================================================
Saints in chorus: "Why yes, he did this and that for me. Sort of a good man actually"

The Chief Judge: "So resurrection to life, then?"

Saints in chorus: "We didn't say he was that good."

The Chief Judge: "So what do you recommend?"

Saints in chorus: "Just skip the resurrection to second death."

The Chief Judge: "Am I allowed to do that?"
====================================

I can always hope that my saint friends can do something about this situation.

There's a name for that: Jury Rigging. And by alerting the jury ahead of time; it's jury tampering too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join