It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's A No Good Commie

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

When you turn 18 mandatory 3 year service in the military or doing public works would be a fine trade of to a ubi. imo.

I don't have an issue with that, but we would need to define UBI...Would that be living in a 50/100 bed unit with community showers and chow hall type environment if the UBI is all you have, or want?

You see that is the problem. People throw around UBI, living wage verbiage and it is not defined in anyway as to what all that would mean.

edit on 1-8-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

And together with others that feel the same we can help encourage our fellow citizens to not be lazy.

Like back in the old days...you don't work you don't eat... How is that for encouragement?

What about those who work who can still barely provide or pay bills?

Tough # for them?

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

They aren't the vast majority of people though. The vast majority of us want more from life than whatever we can scrape from the bottom.

Agreed.
If the government gave me enough each month for modest shelter, food, water and clothing. You can bet I would still work so I could get a more. I like powerful computers.

In fact I don't think if we get the ubi that it should be allowed to be spent on anything but food, shelter, clothing, water, electricity, and internet. Make a card like the foodstamp card specific to each of those categories so it can't be spent on other things.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Tough # for them?

I would need to understand why they work hard and can not get ahead in life first... and when you say barely provide, what does that mean in quantitative terms...

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

In fact I don't think if we get the ubi that it should be allowed to be spent on anything but food, shelter, clothing, water, electricity, and internet. Make a card like the foodstamp card specific to each of those categories so it can't be spent on other things.

Why not just give you housing, meals and a Goverment provided jump suit? Go all military like..big open bays, chow halls etc...

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Where did I ever say this was a bad thing?

The point of this thread was to point out the fact that Trump's sycophants will fall in line as soon as he snaps his fingers. Which you just so aptly proved.

Hell, if Trump runs on a platform of wealth redistribution I could potentially vote for him. It would certainly make him the most Left Wing candidate on the ballot by far.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Tough # for them?

I would need to understand why they work hard and can not get ahead in life first... and when you say barely provide, what does that mean in quantitative terms...

I've already said it.

Minimum wage doesn't afford people who work hard at BS min wage jobs to get ahead wherein they can barely provide for their families because of a BS minimum wage.

Pay attention. Keep up.

edit on 1-8-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

Yeah. Let's go back 200 years ago or so. When the world was a much bigger place. When there were no missiles, no long range bombers, no satellites. Back when we were all farmers.

Grow up.

Why do you think the world hates our government. We only started the new American empire after WW2. That was less than 80 years ago so we don't have to go back 200 years, WE did not get into that war until we were directly attacked, most of America was against getting entangled in another European war, they had more sense than their children and grandchildren today. I find it most odd that the elders in government who were against Vietnam are now war hawks today. I guess it cause there is no draft and their grand kids are not coming home in body bags and missing limbs.
edit on 1-8-2020 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Abused as a child bad enough that after 9 years at the age of 15 I had to run away.

Lived on the streets for 12 years.
There is not tons of help for homeless kids. Trust me I looked.

And once a turned 18 not even fast food places would hire an 8th grade drop out with no social skills.
Dug a lot of ditches under the table for pennies.
Eventually it was the kindness of strangers and their willingness to give me the basics, food , water, shelter all for free. That gave me the time to educate myself and try to make a better life. It couldn't have been done without that help.
I don't think I'm special. I believe that many others in poverty would , like me, make a better life if they weren't stuck having to hustle day in and day out just to eat.
There are tons of homeless people in america with no education who don't even know how to begin to better themselves. If they had a stable home and full bellies things would be different.

Before you ask yes I have given free room and board to people before. And i'll do it again. But I'm just one man.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:50 PM
link   
So there is about 200 million in America between the age of 18 and 64. If we taxed the top rich...those who make more than 10 million per year about 40 to 50% more it would generate about 300 billion extra per year.

300 billion divided by 200 million is only 1500 bucks per year...
200 million times 1500 per month is 3.6 trillion
If we say the lowest 20% that would be 40 million poorest...
300 billion divided by 40 million is and extra 7500 per year or 625 a month...a little better
40 million x 1500 per month is about 700 billion...

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I suppose you could use this as an example of barely. There is a meat processing plant a few miles away. The workers make between 10 and 12 bucks an hour. The supervisors on all shifts are family members of the owners. No matter how hard you work, no way of moving up.

Hard to save I would think on that, so let's guess they rent. Apartments range from 600-1000. Homes 900-1500 per month. Barely any public transportation, so you have to have a car. The state has one of the highest insurance rates in the country.

So you may get overtime which may make it feasible, not enough to save though, so when there is no overtime what do you do? Still have utilities, food,etc as well. Didn't even factor in outrageous health insurance costs. For those with no degree, is it worth taking on more debt? Will that guarantee them a good wage? No telling these days.

Used to be you could work in a shop or one of the automotive plants and make a good living. Those days have changed.

Post office jobs will be gone, we see what's now happening to them. Those were always a good wage, good benefit job.

For those of us that are living well and even continued to do well during the pandemic, there are still a lot of people who work hard and are barely making it.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I'd rather MO set conditions on it.

I'd want as much reach as economically as possible.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

There are tons of homeless people in america with no education who don't even know how to begin to better themselves. If they had a stable home and full bellies things would be different.

Your case is far from the norm or tons...There are were programs out there, and if your state sucked there are better states...it wasn't like you had anything to lose going to another state.

20% don't graduate high school for one reason or another, vast majority of the reasons are bad crap happens to them or they do bad crap, or both... About 20% of that 20% end up on the streets. so in your case about 5% end up with no school and homeless at least for a while.

I agree we need programs for those in need... I have no issue with that, but the program is to get them off the street back into society... I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Today there are programs that just take a call to get started....

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I've allays said my definition of ubi is an amount that was enough and could only be spent on the basics. food, shelter, water, clothing, electricity and internet, healthcare. The very basic of all those things.

the amount would be decided by each state.
Something like if your single it's enough for a one bedroom 800sq foot with a yard. Enough food for the healthy amount a person your size and age would need. Enough for cheap cloths and modest internet.

What you need to be healthy and warm. The rest is up to you. So if you want a bed to sleep on you have to work. You want a computer.Got to work. Expensive cloths a car. Got to work. Enough food to gain 500lb. Got to work. But at the end of the day you know that whatever happens you wont starve or be without a roof.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I've already said it.

Minimum wage doesn't afford people who work hard at BS min wage jobs to get ahead wherein they can barely provide for their families because of a BS minimum wage.

Pay attention. Keep up.

Yes I read...but why are they year after year only working min wage... On a side note why did they even start a family if they couldn't even take care of themselves? Pretty much no one works for min wage...States set their own, and as my example my state is 13 bucks an hour.

My son part time at Kohls out of high school started at 13 bucks... Now I know other states are different, but one would think 10 years of out of high school you might get some skills to get better pay.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453

I suppose you could use this as an example of barely. There is a meat processing plant a few miles away. The workers make between 10 and 12 bucks an hour. The supervisors on all shifts are family members of the owners. No matter how hard you work, no way of moving up.

Yep dead end job...lots of them...need to move on from them...could mean to another state. I live in the NW for the last 12 years not because I'm from here, its my job.

Hard to save I would think on that, so let's guess they rent. Apartments range from 600-1000. Homes 900-1500 per month. Barely any public transportation, so you have to have a car. The state has one of the highest insurance rates in the country.

They need to co-op... not something Americans do...the illegals that work there do it...all over the world does it too as a norm, but here in America we do not.

Used to be you could work in a shop or one of the automotive plants and make a good living. Those days have changed.

Post office jobs will be gone, we see what's now happening to them. Those were always a good wage, good benefit job.

Jobs dry up for whatever reason you need to move on....Another thing many Americans do not do...I'm not saying it is easy...but seems to be the only choice in these situations as you describe....sometimes moving on is doing something like joining the military....

For those of us that are living well and even continued to do well during the pandemic, there are still a lot of people who work hard and are barely making it.

I agree with you... really I do, but we need to really think about what that all means and just what living in general should look like.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Yes I read.

Sure?

but why are they year after year only working min wage..

That's the point.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

Do you have a problem of privately own businesses hiring and training the children as workers. Automotive is union so is the post office. Is it a right to work state? Organize a union then see how much hatred is churned up.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 09:14 PM
link   

That's the point.

Is someone holding them down or are they holding themselves down due to poor life choices.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Hell, if Trump runs on a platform of wealth redistribution I could potentially vote for him. It would certainly make him the most Left Wing candidate on the ballot by far.

That and actually getting something done on healthcare the way he promised. And he did it in the next 100 days. I would vote for him for sure.
And right now I'm so sick of politics that I'm not going to be voting at all.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join