It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House condemns Hong Kong's decision to delay election

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

The White House on Friday condemned Hong Kong’s decision to postpone a Sept. 6 election for its legislature, saying it was the latest example of Beijing undermining democracy in the Chinese-ruled city.

“This action undermines the democratic processes and freedoms that have underpinned Hong Kong’s prosperity,” White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany told reporters. “This is only the most recent in a growing list of broken promises by Beijing, which promised autonomy and freedoms to the Hong Kong people until 2047 in the Sino-British joint declaration.”

White House condemns Hong Kong's decision to delay election

Hong Kong Leader Carrier Lamb had cited the outbreak of Coronvirus as her reason for wanting to delay the elections, but outsiders suspect this is just another tactic by Beijing to maintain control:

Citing a worsening Covid-19 outbreak in Hong Kong, Lam had announced earlier Friday that the semi-autonomous Chinese city would push back to Sept. 5, 2021 the Legislative Council elections previously scheduled to take place in a little over a month.

Source

Not sure what more we can do for the Hong Kong people. I really do admire their strength of determination to stand strong in the face of this slow Chinese takeover, but they're fighting something far far greater. Not sure what the next step for the Hong Kong protestors could be? Outright war? secession? Uncertain America has the appetite to back anything at this moment given our own problems. Painful times.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

is this the same White House that suggested postponing the November U.S. election ?

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

is this the same White House that suggested postponing the November U.S. election ?

No, no, that was a different white house.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
Well yes, but I think in the view of the Whitehouse, Trump has genuine and real concerns about the impact of coronvirus, meanwhile, China has nefarious reasons to pospone it. Different governments, different standards.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Well yes, but I think in the view of the Whitehouse, Trump has genuine and real concerns about the impact of coronvirus, meanwhile, China has nefarious reasons to pospone it. Different governments, different standards.

I see more of a " Do as i say not as i do "

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Those people who experience freedoms daily are now about to enter a restrictive censored environment.

Must be hell for them.

As for her delaying the election, bad move. We voiced this concern on Trumps social experiment, the mere suggestion of it resulted in the wildest disinfo the net has proabably see, tho it cooled down rather quickly when people stopped hyperventilating and looked further into the laws surrounding it, we don't want the Speaker having that power, even Temporarly.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Trump has genuine and real concerns about the impact of coronvirus

I mean, i don't have real genuine concerns about the coronavirus but I mean come on...really? Like just really?

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Is some sinister entity in Hong-Kong pushing universal mail in voting?

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   
They are also barring candidates. It's unfolding into something strange that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
Why is that so hard to believe?

You should have concerns about Covid, it's very real. Just be thankful you haven't got it.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   

He was trolling

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: dug88
Why is that so hard to believe?

Mostly his actions every day since this started...

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Where was the White House when the people of Hong Kong were protesting and rioting in the streets to keep their freedoms and democracy?

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Where was the White House when the people of Hong Kong were protesting and rioting in the streets to keep their freedoms and democracy?

Too busy paying China to make Trump re-election banners (and other Trump family garbage).

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha
Setting up their own "hold my beer" moment.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 10uoutlaw

He was trolling

Being President is not a game.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Honest questio nif we had gotten involved would you have been happy or screamed the war monger is trying to start WW3?

Personally I think we should be doing a saigon style evac of people that want away from china especially the kids that resisted china before they join the Ugihurs.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

The White House never suggested postponing the election here 🤣🤣

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

edit on 31/7/2020 by dug88 because: Added highlight for the illiterate here.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

The White House never suggested postponing the election here 🤣🤣

I must have dreamt this then.

Donald Trump has suggested November's presidential election be postponed, saying increased postal voting could lead to fraud and inaccurate results.

www.bbc.com...
edit on 31-7-2020 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join