It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is guilt and how did it evolve?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Define sanity and you will find insanity.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

The closest I can give you outside of standard definitions is this.

Harmful to your own species and by default yourself - insanity.

But in more broad term's.

Sanity is the state of shared reality and mentality that allows you to function in society and also to not harm it or by default yourself (you can be as crazy as you want but if you do not pose a threat to other's or yourself then there is nothing wrong with living in cloud cuckoo land - though other's can be cruel or take advantage of the vulnerable people that do - I do not class them as insane though but mental competence is another matter).

Insanity everything else - usually going hand in hand with dangerous, deviant and basically evil - many people in positions of power are actually insane far more than there are in prisons but there is an argument does this make it fine or is it still wrong, personally I say it is still wrong to be that way, psychopaths do not always kill they just ruin other people's lives and as for podophiles well in the interests of humanity they should be neutered and lobotomized before being allowed back into public life, allowing them to pass there psychological traits into the rest of society or to breed and possibly pass defective biological traits into society is a gross disservice to the rest of the human race and to future generations.

But on a personal level, most of our leaders are either sleep walking or insane, I mean look at the world today.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Everybody thinks they are sane, even the insane talking about the sane.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   

No, no we don't think we are all sane, I can personally attest to this.

OK humour aside many mentally ill people do not realize that they are insane but someone on the verge of a breakdown knows they are losing there mind, there are many kinds of insanity, personal insanity and group insanity.

Take a lynch mob killing someone because of a rumour with no proof, this is a form group insanity and group's of people can quickly get out of hand, on a larger scale it is a riot and riot's often turn deadly.

Just checking back I forgot my tinfoil hat, didn't leave it here by any chance?.

edit on 1-8-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

We all know it's not necessary to be sane to talk about sanity.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Who is more insane? Someone that can acknowledge their insanity or someone who cannot?

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

Someone who cannot.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Yeah, I agree. Got no chance to fix a problem if we do not know it exists. Sure there can be a lot of issues in the too hard basket at times. Start small, try and find some idea where you want to go.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Stay sane, don't let your guilt come in the way. Lolz

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 12:21 AM
link   

There is nothing we can do to change the past. if your guilt is working properly then learn from your mistakes. if you don't get it the easy way there is always the hard way.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 01:26 AM
link   

What exactly is the easy and the hard way?

Everybody does what he wants.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 01:51 AM
link   

The easy way is when you can quickly learn from yours and others mistakes. As one example, you get caught stealing a bag of jelly beans as a kid. You feel bad when the shop keeper catches you, gives you a warning and lets you go.

If you fail to learn from this and keep on stealing things, sooner or latter someone will catch you and will not be as forgiving. The police get involved and a lot of future employment prospects quickly disappear. Would you want to hire a known thief as an employer?

Still not learning yet? This is how people get incarcerated. If you cannot do the time, don't do the crime.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I think guilt is a desire to make things right again because you injured trust, or at least the feeling having broken trust.
edit on 2-8-2020 by Out6of9Balance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Yeah, that sounds good and getting close. If there was only one rule to live by, if you cannot be honest about it, you should not do it. Maybe there are times where we do need to kill, steal and harm others just to survive. When we cannot be honest about why we do these things, something is wrong and trust is broken.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:12 AM
link   

How many people I know that tell me things I'm not allowed by them to speak to other people. These people meet but behind their back say all kinds of things. What kind of world is that and usually these people are full of * having no life (ab)using substances
edit on 2-8-2020 by Out6of9Balance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:21 AM
link   
How can anyone be honest about what they do?

I am watching 'Mind Hunter' on Netflix.....they seek to know why serial killers do what they do. The serial killer is also interested in knowing why they are compelled to do what they do.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Yeah... Sounds tough. It is one reason I like ATS, its all on the table.

Lots of reasons for wanting to keep secrets with embarrassment, guilt and safety some motivators. In tyrannical structures, fear and intimidation is commonly used to maintain silence.

Usually things are not as bad as some might expect when secrets do get out. Can cause a lot of conflict and shake up some lives up at times. Things usually work out better if it can all be resolved among those involved.

Blowing the whistle can be risky as things can get taken out of context and blown out of control. From experience, start small. If you have an issue with someone, take it to them first and try to work it out there. No luck there, then try their associates and see if you can find some common ground. Still out of luck then start working up the chain of authority. Try working thing out in house first before assessing other options.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I don't think the situation wants to be and can be solved. Perhaps they are simply dissing eachother just to fit my definition of friend, which obviously doesn't work but what do they know?

I have the ability to make people act weird and bring chaos kind of like Jesus who didn't come to bring peace but a sword. Suddenly when I'm around people start discussing their frustrations and it would not be the first time things get out of hand.

I can feel the atmosphere change when I enter a place with people.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Yeah. Some tough issues out there, have been for a long time and some will continue for a lot longer. Somethings we cannot change. It sucks.

What we can change is our place in it. If you are in a position of leadership some times you have to be the asshole, pull them back in line, set the standard. Is there some support to stand and fight? Or do you feel a bit trapped like Princess Dianna?

If it feels like the lunatic have taken over the asylum can you get a transfer? If things are too toxic can you just walk away? Getting some distance is a good way to help reduce conflict at times. Last I heard, Prince Harry took of to the wilderness in Canada.

If people are sharing their frustrations with you they must at least trust and respect you, got any answers for this mess? Sometimes just sit and listen is all we can do, it can help the other person as they form an expression with their situation. Can also do ones head in listening to too much of it at times.

It is kinda natural for some people to be frustrated with lots of things, not just you.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I listen but it's like they don't want to hear any solutions and sometimes it veels Ivm about to get in the danger zone myself and the criticism would break me.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join