It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google adds ‘Black-owned’ business attribute to local listings

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Because, why not pour a little mud.in the pit.

searchengineland.com...

The attribute can show when listings appear in Search and Maps and is part of several initiatives aimed at supporting Black business owners.

Business attributes are highlighted as icons when customers view a business’ profile on mobile, as shown below.

With this attribute, our goal is to make Search and Maps more inclusive and help support Black-owned businesses when they need it most,”

So, Google's added a new 'black-owned' business attribute to their search results for verified businesses. This means when people search for this business, it will appear in the search results.

I'm going to start by saying, this seems pretty discriminatory against anyone who's not black, will each ethnicity or cultural background get a tag?

Also, what about business listings for countries with a majority black population? Will every business get this attribute? Is this a global thing? A US specific thing?

What about say, native run businesses in countries where colonists pillaged and conquered them? Why should they not get a listing? Seems like maybe google should add some attributes for other oppressed cultures that need some support.

Or just people in general who may need some support and maybe stop segregating people on such shallow reasons...

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

So, don't check that box if you so so offended.

Let me introduce you to MWBE, in case you have been living in a cave for a while. Some people care. You don't have to.
www.mwbe-enterprises.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

From your link;

Generally speaking, a member(s) of a presumed group includes:

Black American: any Black racial group originating in Africa;
Hispanic: origins in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Central and South American, or other Spanish or Portuguese cultures;
Native American: a Native of Alaska or Hawaii, or certified member of a federal or state recognized Indian Tribe;
Asian Pacific: origins in the Pacific Islands, China LOL, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore or Philippines;
Subcontinent Asian: origins in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, the Maldives Islands, Nepal or Sri Lanka.

Looks like the North Africans and Arabs didn't make the cut, along with the obvious white devil. Also a shame if you are from Laos.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell
Do you know what the term "generally" means?

No matter. If you don't care, ignore the note. Some do care, some don't. Some will give preference to a minority owned business assuming equality of other criteria, some won't. Some might select a company without the notation, because of that.

edit on 7/30/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Are you freaking Serious ? That is plain Racist but yeah it ok because some say so ? No any form of racist is bad even the "positive" one !

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Yes I do know what it means. And in this case it should actually be used in the following manner;

Generally speaking, a member(s) of a presumed group includes: Everyone except white people.

You can't nominate specific countries after the term "generally", just sayin.

edit on 30 7 2020 by myselfaswell because: whateva

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Dolby_X

That is plain Racist

How so?

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I hope Google adds a photo of the Black business owner, to avoid helping someone who is 1/1,000th Black, from capitalizing on the initiative.

edit on 7/30/2020 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

You can't nominate specific countries after the term generally, just sayin.

I guess you didn't notice that the countries named were given as subgroups.
Is Hawaii a country? Is Alaska?

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This # is getting so stupid. I’ve never ever chosen a business because of the business owners race, ever. I’m sure some have but such is the freedom of choice. Everyone’s a victim nowadays it seems...
......except this girl, much respect to her.

twitter.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

I’m sure some have but such is the freedom of choice.

Indeed. Some care about such things, everything else being equal.
So, more information is bad. I guess.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Nah but more information based on a color of a skin is basicly the defenition of racism !

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

So yeah making these race only certification is plain racist !

EDIT: btw im not against the goal they have but they replicated exactly what they should be fighting against

edit on 30-7-2020 by Dolby_X because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: mtnshredder

I’m sure some have but such is the freedom of choice.

Indeed. Some care about such things, everything else being equal.
So, more information is bad. I guess.

What info? Choose my business over others because I’m black? That info?

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Dolby_X

You don't seem to have read that definition very carefully.

Against whom is prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism being directed when a notation is made of a minority (black) owned business?

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Google's added a new 'black-owned' business attribute to their search results for verified businesses.

Apparently the racism may not be as big of a problem as we were told if people are eager to identify their minority status ..

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   

well this prejudice discriminate and antagonise being white or not of a shade of color that fit the owner view.
edit on 30-7-2020 by Dolby_X because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   

[

Is Hawaii a country
Depends on your point of view as a Colonizer or Hawaiian.

Answer is YES - but don't tell the locals.
H A W A I ` I
Independent & Sovereign

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: puzzled2

Hawaii was not colonized, it was stolen. So were the lands of the Indians. Now what?

Actually, one of my good friends is the heir to the Hawaiian throne. If there was a kingdom. But there isn't.
My great great grandfather was the harbor master of Honolulu under king Kalakaua, btw.

edit on 7/30/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Humm,
so if I want to support a local skincoloured brother, I check that box and don't go to any of them that the results return. Got it

After all I'm allowed to support my local skin coloured brother without it being racists.

OR am I not suppose to support my local skin coloured brother.

Gets so confusing, if only all the different skin colours lived in different parts of the world and only mixed at the edges we would surely all get on together without any problems.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

So, don't check that box if you so so offended.

Let me introduce you to MWBE, in case you have been living in a cave for a while. Some people care. You don't have to.
www.mwbe-enterprises.com...

As someone who was once a member as a female minority business owner in America, let me tell you a little secret...

It's racist.

By definition.

But yea, you are right.

Some people care about racism.

But you don't have to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join