It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

supply shortages due to covid

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Update: Local Walmart had full full shelves of Anheuser-Busch beers, but their small selection of Miller beers was half empty. The local brews filled the shelves as well, I had no problem making a selection I was happy with.

Otherwise, Lysol, Chlorox, paper towel, toilet paper, and other products you'd expect to be short were on nearly empty shelves. Summer clearance shoes were sold out in children's size. Otherwise most food stuffs seems to be well stocked.

Also they had face masks and the price went down about 3 or 4 dollars since I last bought some.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I got bad news about that.

I work with all the major vendors that sell freezers in the united states.
All day long I have people asking me where is the freezer I ordered?
The answer is always that the factory is not making freezers and they don't know when they will start.
Every vendor , every time.

No more new freezers. Going to have to buy used.

In my local area there isn't a shortage on anything.
We had a meat shortage for about 3 weeks two months ago.
But that passed.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

My mom, who lives with me, is a contest entering type person. She sweepstakes in the early mornings for 3-4 hours.

Can I please know what site she uses to play stuff like that?

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I am having a hell of a time getting meat trays and meat wrap and soakers.

Also sausages, like Johnsonville or Hillshire Farms products.
Any Tyson frozen things like chicken strips and nuggets, almost every order says they are out of stock.

El Montery Burritos...

Lots of items I order for work that we are not getting.
My store is out of paper towels...

The list goes on and on.

On my invoices I get 3 pages of outages every week.

As to the meat supplies, eventually they do send me what I order all at once and suddenly my meat cooler is full of trays..lol

edit on 31-7-2020 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No more new freezers. Going to have to buy used.

Any idea why?
No parts?
Factory shutdown?

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Besides “good manners” and “being a decent human being” that are in short supply, the paper products seem to be less readily available than normal.

The 45 days at home has me sitting on cash that I can’t even use on laundry thanks to circulation problems with coins! Quarters!! Who would have thunk??!

I miss quality TV! The strike killed a bunch of shows and now Covid has shut production down on some shows that were hitting stride! Too bad! There was some good stuff going on like Zoe’s (whatever) Playlist which was trying to do the impossible and bring back singing and dancing to TV (I admit, I liked Suburgatory! A great overlooked show). And Supergirl (it is totally too optimistic but that is probably why I love it!! lol).

The WFH cooking shows are lame except maybe The Pioneer Woman one, which is even funnier than before. And where the H3ll is Ancient Aliens??!!

Recap, quality TV and paper products!!

edit on 31-7-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: dumb smart phone

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Cottage cheese. I discovered a "stash" of someone's in the local grocery store. Waaay in the back of the dairy case is real 4% cottage cheese, and all up front is lowfat with fruit (spit). We haven't had cottage cheese in a few weeks. Nice to find the stash. I left a scratchpad note that read, "I'm just taking two. Don't make a fuss. I'm going to want two more."

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: tennisdawg
BICYCLES! I am huge into mountain biking, and was looking to upgrade last month. No bikes anywhere. New Bikes directly from Trek or Cannondale are backordered until Feb. 2021. Your only option is to call every bike store in a 400 mile radius to see if they have any demo models for sale. I got lucky and found the one I wanted this week. It was an 8 hour round trip drive.

The other oddity: Root Beer. No idea why. You can find it in 2 liters, but no root beer in a can anywhere in my area.

Accessories for bikes are also missing on the shelves. Tubes and tires are all gone. Handle bar grips, gone,

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
Got 3 wallys in the area and having a hard time finding Zest bath bars....

I noticed that a couple of months ago around here but I've been able to get it without any issues for the last month or so.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Corned Beef Hash. Who hoards that? I thought I was one of the last people on the planet that still eat it.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

According to "The uneducated economist" on You tube who works in a lumber yard a few things have become unavailable and have shot up in price. Building ply 4by 2's 4by 4's and building ply for cladding.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

What can I say? I love corned beef hash. It's one of my favorite foods.
edit on 182020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Well the vendors never give me a straight answer.
they just tell me their not making anything.

I assume it is lack of workers or the place where they get the parts is shut down.

Or it could be worse than that and it's the mines where they get the raw materials that are shut down.

Or they haven't made enough profit to even buy the materials and keep the lights on at the factories.

It's not just freezers ether. i get calls all day about all kinds of appliances not being shipped out by the factories.
Makes me thing that things are going to get a lot worse in the coming months.

If it's as bad as it looks we will soon see stores like lowes and the home depot closing up.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Mine too. I always have at least 3 cans of it at all times.

the canned stuff is fine but I wish I knew how to make it at home and have it taste right.
edit on 1-8-2020 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

Normal breakfast for me is a runny fried egg over corned beef hash. mmmmmmmmmm
edit on 1-8-2020 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Accessories for bikes are also missing on the shelves. Tubes and tires are all gone. Handle bar grips, gone,

Not surprising.

Now that you reminded me I need to get some bike parts too.
just in case.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

This article blames refrigerant conversion, plus the demand.
I'm on kindle, so cannot quote article until later

The United States is experiencing a temporary shortage of freezers. This was caused by an industry-wide ongoing conversion to hydrocarbon refrigerants to comply with many states’ new environmental regulations. Many factories building freezers in and for the United States have been closed for a number of months to redesign and retool all freezers. The COVID-19 situation increased demand at a time of reduced supply.
www.summitappliance.com...

edit on Sat Aug 1 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: cleaned up link

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

few canned foods ill actually eat without gagging. Anything made with tomato is superior in a can vs a jar, fwiw (including ketchup).

But corned beef hash is something ill eat just about any day.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Almost every week something new is not available but wipes, alcohol, toilet cleaner and lysol spray haven't been available for months. TP & PT are off and on. Paper plates have been unavailable for a couple of months. Due to a substitution the last time I was able to get them I wound up with two packages of 300 so its OK right now.

The oddest thing that is unavailable (don't laugh or gag too hard) - canned cheese! Guess it is the can issue.

Meat - we bought half a cow and a freezer about a year ago so no beef issues. Pork and chicken is off and on though. Cannot get chicken liver anywhere. I use it to make dog treats but no luck. May have to go to a butcher if its not too expensive to make treats. To whomever mentioned the Jimmy John's sandwich I can't get the salami I like either.

Starting making my own wipes so that issue is solved. Also made my own Clorox Cleanup as that isn't available either. The toilet cleaner is a problem as we have very hard water and most cleaners don't do a good job. I need the black lysol cleaner. Its about all that works.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I live in a farming and fishing and tourist area and Corn is a dollar an EAR here and tomatoes are $7 a LB And that’s why we put a lot of tomatoes of all varieties in our garden .. now to pray that STUPID storm on its way to Florida is petered out before it gets here ..And just picked a bunch of tomatoes, Some cucumbers to make into pickles and And some peppers I’ll make stuffed peppers to freeze This week ... also and a few eggplant that I’m going to slice bread and freeze for later quick meals .. plus lettuce for dinner tonight

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

For fava beans, the really large natural food stores in various US states have bulk food sections that have many different kinds of dried beans, grains, etc. The Berkeley Bowl in Berkeley, CA, is the biggest natural food store in California, so if anyone has fava beans, they will. In the late summer and early fall, some family supermarkets (the co-ops and Gelsons in California) also have fresh fava beans ... good on the barbeque.

Hand sanitizer was unavailable for months in the US, then a bunch of no-name brands started to become available at grocery stores. The latest thing is that the US FDA has a list of recalled hand sanitizers that should be avoided. The outdoor outfitter REI has an online catalog. They sell a number of timely products of pandemic interest. First, they are selling Dr. Bronner's organic hand sanitizer in standard 2-ounce bottles, scents are peppermint and lavender. I bought the lavender. The REI price currently for that product is $6.00 which is similar to what it used to cost last year.

The other thing that I bought from the REI catalog is a neck gaiter. These are lightweight tubular scarves that you pull over your head and then raise up to the level of your ears and nose, once your regular surgical mask is in place. That mitigates the drawback of the surgical mask, which is that some air can be drawn into the loose sides of the mask. The gaiter I bought is 95% polyester, 5% elastene. It's super lightweight. I just used it for my neighborhood walk early this morning, and it is comfortable to wear, even on August 1 during a Los Angeles heat wave. REI sells it for $23.00. The great thing about polyester is that if you rub it against a plastic bag for 20 seconds, it will hold a static electric charge, which increases the gaiter's ability to trap and hold particles from the air. Outstanding feature.

Last month I started using eye protection as well, after hearing about the reporter who had an N95 mask and disposable gloves on during a transatlantic flight and still got COVID-19 a few days later. I use a pair of rock-climbing sunglasses which fit flush to the face. SOS Emergency Supply in Van Nuys, CA, sells first responder safety goggles for around $6, cheaper than all the face shield prices I've seen so far, and safer, too. If my rock-climbing sunglasses break, I'll replace them with safety goggles. Nowadays, the only "looks" I get in public when I'm all geared up is along the lines of, "Why didn't I think of that?"
edit on 8/1/2020 by Uphill because: Added a paragraph.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join