It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Does Meaningful Law Enforcement And Criminal Justice Reform Look Like?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I considered and rejected the idea of an opening editorial statement here. I have my own thoughts on the topic, but I don't want to color the discussion too much with my own point of view. Therefore, I will not share my opinions in the opening post.

What does meaningful law enforcement and criminal justice reform look like to you?

How should local constables, sheriffs, state police, and federal authorities be doing things differently than they are? What, if anything, should change about the way that they do things?

What should the courts and legal institutions be doing differently when they dispense justice and determine liability? What, if anything, should change about the way that they do things?

What should our prisons and correctional facilities be doing differently when they reckon with those convicted or adjudged by the courts? What, if anything, should change about the way that they do things?

How do regulatory agencies figure into this equation?

What can and/or should the average citizen do to affect change within our communities and our states and our nation that will achieve beneficial outcomes for us all?

Anyone's opinion is valid here. Speak up. What do you think?

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBadCabbie

I think there should be a vehicle or mechanism in place where good cops can speak out about bad cops without retribution. Only someone on the inside would know who is clean and who is dirty. If cops were able to "police" themselves, perhaps they could eliminate the scum that gives them a bad name.

I also think some kind of campaign to let those in poor inner city areas know and understand there is a higher arrest rate there among black kids due to more crime being committed by black kids. If you aren't breaking the law, you should have nothing to fear. (I get that isn't always the case, and that is the part that needs to change) But nobody is without fault here, although some wish it wasn't that way.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I'll give you a few:
    Eliminate police unions
    Lower/eliminate sentences for non-violent offenses
    Reform the bail process because (hope you like alliteration) it putatively punishes poor people
    End for profit prisons
    Institute more community policing, i.e. cops walking the beat
    Mandatory conflict de-escalation training for all LEO

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Somewhere between go stand in the corner and Judge Dread. Different areas and even different individuals will have ideas all along the spectrum and it will be very hard to get a system that we can all agree on. The most important part will be applying it to all based only on the crime committed.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   

They need to eliminate predatory policing by that I mean when someone gets arrested they tend to get on the radar of the police department and then they tend to keep them in the system by fines and paroles knowing that they do not have the means to pay fines or the discipline to do a parole.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   

considering that 'jobs' will change/evolve after COVID19 Pandemic...

there will be a greater 'pool' of Social-Credit-Score-Workers assigned to be 'sponsers or mentors' to thepersons convicted of criminal behavior but released into the community-at-large (sorta like 'tough probation') ...with up to 3 social workers assigned to each release-ee on-the-street

Watch the Movie :

Demolition Man
R · 1993 · 1hr 55min · Sci-Fi/Thriller
IMDb icon6.7/10

In the late 20th century, Simon Phoenix is a psychotic criminal who is extremely elusive. He took some people hostage. John Spartan is a cop who is known as the Demolition Man because he demolishes… See more on IMDb

Wikipedia

Official site
Release date: Oct 8, 1993 (United States)IMDb

www.youtube.com...

i know you got 2 minutes to see Trailer video

or see this: www.youtube.com...
~a 10 minute layout of the guts-of-the-movie, PC absurdity to the nth degree ~

Demolition Man takes place in 2032 --- 12 years after 2020 Pandemic reset the social interactions in Society and all the pitfalls made huge, because of the absurdity

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Especially these two.
Time past, the whole neighbourhood knew good old Jonny Connor the copper because he was the one that walked their particular beat. He knew the kids, knew what was going on. It was good 'boots on the ground intel'

Now they just drive around in their souped up SUVs with their bald heads looking like wannabe thugs. They have NO idea what is going on, and only respond to calls from a dispatcher miles away. Totally stupid.

Why doesn't patrol, actually patrol?

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
End civil forfeiture.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Our officer over here wear chest cameras, each pd can have a central command where camera are live feed at all times, time to start using military tech not just the weapons.

Sleeping gas canisters instead of tear gas, put them to sleep no aggression then.

Our officers over here don’t have to deal with such a great threat of perps carrying firearms. If a suspect is possibly carrying a fire arm then swat team is called in.

More accountability of the superiors - if the bosses are in danger of being jailed for those under them they will clamp down on unlawful policing methods.

If people want police reform the first thing that is required is respect for the police. For the last 20 years all we hear is fk the police. Remember people in bad times it’s these guys and gals that save our lives by putting theirs on the line maybe we take that aspect for granted.

Ban all rap music that instigates aggression to the police, after all you go around blasting about killing and gun culture the police will expect you to have a gun and be willing to kill them.

Treat everyone equal. Just because someone is from a poor neighbourhood doesn’t make them worse than the rich, Remember it’s the rich driving the crime of the underprivileged.

Get the police out more into the community, find out how sh!t life really is for those they arrest.

Create elite squads similar to our flying squad for the worse criminals and hit them hard. The problem at the minute is there are some serious bad asses out there and the police are trained in how to deal with these, problem is that’s the level they treat everyone because they have this idea they cannot be seen as weak. Maybe community attitude has driven this.

And finally stop bullish!tying on the issue. Each community must address its own issue, stop fking killing each other and makes gangs illegal.
edit on 29-7-2020 by EverythingsWrong because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2020 by EverythingsWrong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I believe that you cannot employ tools you don't even know exist.

I believe that you cannot enforce a standard in a community without enforcing a standard for the police themselves.

I believe that you cannot be effective as a police officer without regular and intense training.

I believe the police should have all the money required to enforce a standard upon themselves that will translate into a higher standard of hiring and conduct that will ultimately affect the communities within which they enforce the laws.

1. Training time must be allocated. Personnel must be pulled from service on the street to conduct training in Jiu Jitsu up to purple belt, firearms manipulation, non-lethal tools, and deescalation tactics.

2. We have to reform the broad brush within which SCOTUS painted "qualified immunity." Cops shouldn't be able to break the law and get away with it. People want to blame this on the unions. But it is not the unions that held a gun to the SCOTUS heads and made them create qualified immunity with so little in the way of checks of balances.

3. We cannot reform ONLY the police and pretend that the problems will go away. Society is broken and we have a lot of work to do to get the society I assumed that we all wanted an one point. This # was never going to be easy.

4. I believe police budgets should compensate as high as necessary to ensure that only those with the highest of standards is chosen for the job. This is were unions come in and need to be put in their place if not outright abolished.

Policing just requires too much responsibility for this occupation to be handed to any man or woman who wants it. We should filter them at all levels of human performance and set a benchmark of excellence just for walking through the door.

I believe we can get there without making cops less safe and we can do this without making citizens less safe.

There are solutions. The above are mere suggestions but from my experience with police-like work (I was a transit officer for a small period of time) these things will go a long way toward dealing with these problems that will ensure everyone gives and everyone can walk away with something tangible in terms of reform.
edit on 7 29 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I'll give you a few:
    Eliminate police unions
    Reform the bail process because (hope you like alliteration) it putatively punishes poor people
    End for profit prisons

Hear Hear

I watched Stacey Dooley Face To Face with the Bounty Hunters not sure if you will be able to view if you are in the USA but it shows how much money is being made rather than reform or even rehabilitation, its just a money making scheme

again i agree end prison for minor offences such as possesion of weed

the use of the prison population as cheap labour needs to end, making more jobs on the outside
edit on 29-7-2020 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Good start. Tack onto those.

-Eliminate all Military equipment. A civilian police force doesn't need MRAPS or any other military gear. It might stop the police from using no knock warrants. Some studies have shown that it also reduces violence in police.

-Eliminate any seizure powers. This has been abused in the past.

-Decriminalize drug possession. If you get caught with drugs they just take it away from you.

edit on 29-7-2020 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   

What does meaningful criminal justice reform look like

Inevitably the technocrats will virtue signal to have the undesirables shipped off to a different planet and ruled by the most psychopathic among them...

oh wait...

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ok commie

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I'll give you a few:
    Eliminate police unions
    End for profit prisons

1. Eliminate police unions
---Because police officer should not have the right to have a union (because the Left does not control those unions), while the left wants to FORCE everyone else to join a union ( which the Left DOES control) ?

2.Lower/eliminate sentences for non-violent offenses
--- so money laundering is OK ?
--- dealing/selling fentanyl is OK ?
--- Loan sharking is OK ?
No prison ? Community service is fine for the above?

3.Reform the bail process because (hope you like alliteration) it putatively punishes poor people
--- Already tried it in NYC with catastrophic but predictable results

4.End for profit prisons
--- prisons do not cause crime - failure to follow the law does...

5.Institute more community policing, i.e. cops walking the beat
--- NYC just eliminated a whole unit dedicated to this with disastrous, but predictable results

6.Mandatory conflict de-escalation training for all LEO
--- Already exists

Instead, how about to FORCE democrat DAs to DO THEIR JOB !!!

If Klobuchar had done her job when she was DA, the bad cop in the Floyd affair would have been expelled or behind bars years ago and this storm would not have happened

If democrat DAs and mayors were ENFORCING THE LAW, Portland and Seattle would not have happened.

Compare with Detroit:

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 29-7-2020 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The judicial system in current form does appear to protect the perceptions of high profile individuals. Public shame can be more influential in correcting bad behaviour than cash payouts with non disclosure agreements.

I can understand being a judge is a tough job and does require some protections for the role. A full blanket immunity when there are serious conflicts of interests and perversion of law is going too far.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Why only solve part of the problem? Some of the laws need to be removed and some just changed a little.

Why is it illegal in most states to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket?

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Look at how UK police do things, do we see them shooting unarmed people running away or pulling up to a kid sitting at a park bench within BB gun, within 15 seconds shooting the kid. Our Military has a ROE, they don't just shoot unarmed people because they felt scared, like US police do nation wide.

We need PEACE officers, not revenue generators for the state. What harm would it of caused to tell Mr Brooks to park his car in Wendy's parking lot for the night, call uber or have a friend come pick him up. No, the cop was out to arrest him from the start.

I wonder how police would act after going the first three years on the job without a sidearm. I bet shootings of unarmed people would be at a all time low. You would see a night and day difference on how officers treat people.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I'll give you a few:
    Eliminate police unions
    End for profit prisons

Thats...actually a good list. I'd stand beside that.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Ending the war on drugs would probably have the biggest impact on the justice system. Even in more liberal counties that have reduced charges/bail amounts for drug related offenses, it ties up the courts when most judges will drop charges or have people enroll in programs anyways.
Bail reform would be the next area, but not by eliminating bail all together. In California, for example, every county has a group of judges that creates a bail schedule, which is a list of all the charges and what their respective bail amount is. This can vary drastically, county to county. I have seen a DUI with child endangerment in San Diego set at 100k, and then a similar situation in Riverside for 35k. The Department of Insurance limits the premium charged to 10%, which usually doesn't happen due to competition and rebating, but you can see how costs could differ depending on where you live. Unfortunately, some of the current measures to eliminate bail, would replace it with a computer algorithm, that determines who is eligible for bail or not.
Law enforcement, should do only that. Best we can do for them is increase training, both physically and socially. Any reform on the justice system needs to come from the law makers. There are some really outdated PC sections that tend to effect some communities more than others. Like improper use of a milk crate. While I'm sure discretion would be used in some cases, that would mainly affect the poor and rural communities. Unfortunately, law makers seem to only want to create more laws and regulations, instead of addressing what's already on the books.
I believe the average citizen needs to try and understand the system. There is good and bad. We need to stop voting based off appeal to emotion. People need to pay attention to what our elected officials are doing, and not solely based off what they say and/or the media tells us. How many people do you think will watch the 5 1/2 hrs of CEO's being grilled by the house today?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join