It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Defendant Shall Not Attend Protests”: In Portland, Getting Out of Jail Requires Relinquishing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Federal authorities are using a new tactic in their battle against protesters in Portland, Oregon: arrest them on offenses as minor as “failing to obey” an order to get off a sidewalk on federal property — and then tell them they can’t protest anymore as a condition for release from jail.

Legal experts describe the move as a blatant violation of the constitutional right to free assembly, but at least 12 protesters arrested in recent weeks have been specifically barred from attending protests or demonstrations as they await trials on federal misdemeanor charges.

“Defendant may not attend any other protests, rallies, assemblies or public gathering in the state of Oregon,” states one “Order Setting Conditions of Release” for an accused protester, alongside other conditions such as appearing for court dates. The orders are signed by federal magistrate judges.

Source

And we continue to see the Federal government piss on the Constitution due to a two block protest occurring in Portland.

I'll be interested to see how ATS' resident "Constituionalists" find a way to justify the federal government violating the First Amendment rights of citizens who have not been found guilty of anything. I'm sure you guys won't let me down.

+49 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

First thing, they are not protests. They are riots!

Secondly
People who commit felonies lose their 2nd amendment rights so it isn't like they can't be taken away from you right? Bet you support the red flag laws that are being implemented?

+35 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
How is this different, than getting arrested for drunk driving, and not being able to drink when your on probation, get released?

Not trying to be a smart a**, just really think it is the same thing.

Ok, saw the not convicted part. But I do know, here in our county, there are "conditions of release" for DUI, stealing, battery, ect. so, still the same.

edit on 29-7-2020 by chiefsmom because: addition

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   

So in your interpretation of the constitution, violent criminals shouldn't lose their 2nd amendment rights?

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

A.) According to the people actually attending these protests (which once again encompass only the two blocks near the courthouse) the worst crime they have seen committed is graffiti. These aren't riots. These are peaceful protests that are being attacked by a paramilitary force with little to no provocation.

B.) The people being denied their rights have not been found guilty of a felony. They haven't even been charged with a felony. They are charged with federal misdemeanors. However, since they still have not been convicted in a court of law they are still considered innocent in the eyes of the law.

Do you approve of innocent US citizens being denied their rights?

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

Have these people been convicted of a violent crime or any crime?

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   

And we continue to see the Federal government piss on the Constitution due to a two block protest occurring in Portland.

Protest? Just a protest???

I'll be interested to see how ATS' resident "Constituionalists" find a way to justify the federal government violating the First Amendment rights of citizens who have not been found guilty of anything. I'm sure you guys won't let me down.

First Amendment rights? Hmmm... let me think... the First Amendment covers much ground... do you mean our right to freedom of religion and prohibiting the free exercise thereof? Naw... that can't be it. Do you mean our freedom of speech and press? Or maybe the right of the people to peaceably assemble? Yeah, that seems to fit! That must be it!!!

Except... um... these are not peaceful assemblies, are they???

It seems to me that the perp has provided plenty of reasonable suspicion to justify limiting certain activities while awaiting trial. Just as courts might find that bail is not appropriate for some individuals, and courts issue restraining orders in assault and battery cases after charges but before trial.

+17 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

A.) According to the people actually attending these protests (which once again encompass only the two blocks near the courthouse) the worst crime they have seen committed is graffiti

That is a lie. Violent crime and vandalism of federal property is a much worse than just some "graffiti". Law enforcement, unwitting bystanders and civilians have been attacked unprovoked and it's all on footage. Get your head out of the sand

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

There is a totally easy solution to getting rid of these riots and mobs. They are called water cannons, they work wonders on fires, cell phones, cameras and getting people to go the other way. How many times do you think these protestors want to buy a new iphone?

Water cannons are the cheap, easy answer to discourage riots.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

To be fair the constitutionality of many conditions of release are questionable. When it comes to a blanket restriction on exercising your First Amendment there really isn't any question.

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

A.) According to the people actually attending these protests (which once again encompass only the two blocks near the courthouse) the worst crime they have seen committed is graffiti. These aren't riots. These are peaceful protests that are being attacked by a paramilitary force with little to no provocation.

B.) The people being denied their rights have not been found guilty of a felony. They haven't even been charged with a felony. They are charged with federal misdemeanors. However, since they still have not been convicted in a court of law they are still considered innocent in the eyes of the law.

Maybe I am mistaken, but I have watched videos of the 'peaceful demonstrations' at the federal courthouse where there are rocks, bottles, fireworks and Molotov cocktails being thrown at the federal agents there.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Maybe the protestors didn’t have their papers?

Protest / Demonstration / Special Events Resources and Links

Police Bureau attempts to work with all event organizers to establish an environment where community members may safely practice their First Amendment Rights of speech and assembly. The Police Bureau Liaison Team is available to assist event organizers in planning a safe event for participants, Portland community members, and businesses. Liaison Officers may be contacted at: PPBLiaison@portlandoregon.gov or through its Twitter account: @PPBLiaison

Permits

To learn more about the permitting process or to file a request for a permit, please visit the Portland Bureau of Transportation's Special Events page

Special events are moving events held in the street and/or sidewalk, such as runs, walks, marches, parades or bicycle races. Event organizers must get all additional permits before the event.

Administrative Rules and City Code regarding street and sidewalk use

Parks

Special Use Permits for Portland Parks (more than 150 people)

Terry Schrunk Plaza is a federal property where both state and federal laws apply to users. The Federal Protective Service is the lead enforcement agency for this property. Specific rules and regulations governing federal property can be found here:

The City of Portland has specific conduct rules and laws that apply to parks.

www.portlandoregon.gov...

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Someone convicted of prostitution or soliciting prostitution is barred from going to known prostitution zones.

This is not a new tactic and I believe justified in this case.

If you honestly believe that these protests are peaceful and the authorities are the ones instigating everything you are very confused and brain washed by the MSN. I suggest going to see for yourself because no amount of video proof that you are wrong will likely change your confirmation bias.
edit on 29-7-2020 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

a reply to: Notoneofyou

Have these people been convicted of a violent crime or any crime?

Depends on what kind of graffiti they're using. Could you please provide a picture?

If they're organized and using gang type graffiti for future plans that's a problem, and they're lucky they don't fall under RICO.

The markings are used by burglars to communicate with each other and let each other know which properties are easiest to break in to, and which should be avoided.

www.express.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Plenty of video documentation here of what's gone on in Portland: Lives Matter

Apparently Trump's been tweeting (or is that re-tweeting?) some of this guy's videos.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I’m against this as well.

Just don’t let them out of jail.

Communist rioters and thugs should have zero leniency. Find the harshest thing they can be charged for, give them the maximum allowed sentence.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Demand their day in court and refuse to be released, let a Judge decide, BUT the consequences could be far worse!

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Red Flag laws... they exist and have been celebrated by many in relation to removals of other Rights such as the 2nd Amendment. It goes like this, the Right can be restricted prior to a trial or court conviction, if it is believed you have either abused the Right or permitting you to continue to possess the Right between accusation and your actual trial presents significant risk that the Right will be abused in the commission of a crime.

Where were you when red flag laws were being used to disarm unconvicted Americans? Where are your posts on it? You sit with your mouth shut and your thumb up your ass on that, convenient you are here pissing and whining now... especially since we're not talking about innocent little angels who were simply exercising their freedom of speech here, are we? We're talking about people that participated in an exercise in public property destruction. Sorry to break this to you, but when you consort with whores, you will be seen as a whoremonger. When the protests become riots, EVERY mofo that stays there "protesting" is a goddamn dumbass that should expect to now be tied to rioters.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
I’m against this as well.

Just don’t let them out of jail.

Communist rioters and thugs should have zero leniency. Find the harshest thing they can be charged for, give them the maximum allowed sentence.

I agree with this. The arrests should be massively increased, and hold them without parole until their trials.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Definitely not my area of knowledge but taking away a citizens first amendment right for a misdemeanor, which probably entails at most a fine does seem extreme. I mean if they say move and you do not move fast enough in their opinion, next you have a fine, arrested, and lose a right as a citizen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join