It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2/3 of Americans feel silenced by the cancel culture .

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thanks to the current cancel culture and the viciousness of the radical left. Nearly 2 out of 3 Americans are afraid to express their political views due to retaliation .

At first glance many people would think that would be primarily Trump supporters.

That’s not so it’s majorities in all parties. Democrats 52%, independents 59% and republicans 77%

Radical liberals (strong liberals) only make up 15% of the democratic party .

Pew

And of course that small percentage of registered voters also leads those that believe they can express their political views without fear.

Go figure?

Within the party 52% of regular liberals, 64% of moderate and 77% of conservative Democrats feel they need to censor their views.

The article continues to quote some shocking statistics about revenge like attitudes from all parties. And the fact that there is a great amount of anxiety on how it could affect individuals financially.

But in my opinion the breakdown in the Democratic Party helps explain the enthusiasm gap between Biden and Trump supporters.

Trump supporters emotions aren’t very complex. They believe in Trump, America in the constitution. Which combined to make them enthusiastic as a whole.

Democrats and many independents hate Trump and back Biden solely for that reason. 37% of Democratic voters say they will back Biden because they think he’s a good candidate. 60% of Democratic voters support Biden only because of their hatred for Trump.

That 60% Will do some soul-searching before they head to the ballot box. Because many realized they are being censored.

It’s safe to say the views they’re suppressing don’t align with the radical left. Or why would they be afraid of giving them.

It’s become apparent that on the issue after issue Joe Biden is caving to the radical left. The more he does the further he is going to leave behind some of his luke warm support.

This could lead to a remake of the Hillary Clinton syndrome of 2016. Democrats hated Trump but they couldn’t vote for Hillary because of the bad taste she left in their mouth’s.

The radical left’s hate, violence, shaming and vindictiveness will shrink the democrats voter turn out. The question is how much.

Many of the voters hate Trump. Hate is a easy emotion. You scream it at the top of your lungs and let it out.

But if I was a Democrat I’d hold a deep resentment for a small percentage of bullies who have taken over my party and affectively silenced me.

Resentment comes buried from within and usually needs a catalyst to express itself. But when it does it expresses itself as hate² .

Which will be the stronger emotion come November 3rd ?

When the shoe leather hits the pavement who do they resent (hate) more ?

2 out of 3 Americans have been silenced by the radical left.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The big tech companies are literally public utilities at this point and need to be regulated as such. The free exchange of ideas is necessary for any free society to survive.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

This completely explains why polls are so badly off.

Conservatives are terrified to express their opinions.
Terrified they will be doxed.
Terrified they will lose their jobs.
Terrified they will get death threats.
Terrified BLM or ANTIFA will vandalize or burn their home.

And justifiably terrified of these things that happen nearly on a daily basis these days to any conservative who has the unmitigated nerve to express even the slightest conservative opinion.

This was also why polls were so badly off in 2016 when people were being beaten on a regular basis for wearing a red ball cap, the ball cap didn't even have to have writing on it to get the crap beaten out of them by a total stranger.

Everyone I knows refuses to talk to political callers or pollsters. They don't know who these people are and if they will send liberals to dox them, get them fired, send death threats, come to their home and vandalize it and terrify their children.

Most conservatives I know would never, ever, speak to a pollster knowing that 99.9% of media and poll takers are steeped in liberal/progressive ideology.

This justified fear will also mess up this years polls.

It also messes up current polls that show that "everyone" adores the very old, very very old Biden who has had brain surgery and several brain bleeds, and will turn 80 not too long after taking office.

Well if you are a conservative and are face to face with a pollster who insists you answer you darn well better give the answer they expect you to give - or else - is the justified fear of the average US citizen.

If you as a liberal say there is no reason for people to fear the terror tactics of the left, that you are a coward if you do. Then I say, hell yes we are cowards, you would be too if you see daily on the news people doxed, lose jobs, get death threats because they voiced one single little conservative thought. We like our jobs and want to keep our families safe and must say what pollsters and liberals demand we say if we want to stay safe in today's world.

edit on 7/28/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   
If the election is allowed to be held properly, the silence of the many will be deffening to some. 2016 and 2020, same outcome for same reasons.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Think for yourself
Stop believing everything you hear, read and see on TV
Mind your own #ing business

Problem solved

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I propose to silence the cancel movement but not reinstate the expression of political views for a while. Let's make 2021 an easy year without too much crap discussions.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Yes, I will use this for my catalyst, I am noticing disturbing similarities to how the natzi, party grew in numbers in the 1930’s. Yep I said it, black lives matter sound like natzis, and they are also using natzi, tactics, instead of blaming Jews they are blaming white people and cops. They want to remove the current system and make a new one with a new constitution. Sound familiar?

At this point they have their propaganda, machine in the corporate media, the Democratic politicians are their tools, they won’t even admit their are riots in the streets.

Folks this is for real time, it’s not going to disappear, this is a planned strategic move, that started with the pandemic, to many things in motion correlating together.

Perhaps the Chinese, have conspired with the Democrats to help create this movement, just like in a way the French assisted the colonies during the revolution, not to be TAKEN literally for the insecure troll out there begging for flames like children. This is the loudest my voice will get, remember most thought the corona virus would not change the world in January, I was told I was insane. Once again allot of people think these riots will just go away...

Get ready..

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   
With the massive unchecked verbal and physical violence being sponsored and supported by Democrats it's no wonder people are concerned😃

It's the Nazi Brownshirts rekindled !!😈

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Silenced? Yep, at least somewhat. I can't say some of the things I believe on social media because I could put my job in jeopardy. So I use common sense and don't say those things. But all of these issues haven't changed my mind at all as far as the upcoming election goes.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

Yep, would be great, but unfortunately, the internet and all its social media let that horse out of the barn, and we can never get it back in the barn again.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I see this (BLM, Atifa, etc) more like the Red Guard of the Chinese cultural revolution, myself.

Attacks upon the "Four Olds"

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

I have been cautioned by my employer to be careful of how I express myself on social media. My personal views and the company's views do not agree.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I've been through the someone trying to get me fired. I skipped a couple of the so called meetings because they were be here in 5 minutes type things. I asked to see the video and refused to answer any questions. About 2 years ago I think they finally gave up. Friend in HR said they didn't believe the person because employees are getting attacked on a regular basis by the same person.

Wife had a major complaint against her because she wears a shield and not a mask and some out of state woman went off the deep end and wouldn't back off.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Self-censoring my internet content for decades. Might manage 2/3 posts/attempts, might be closer to 3/5.
Point being, that shooting one's mouth off in public has always been a risk. Chilling one's speech is always an option.

At least when we invented the internet, everybody had a handle (like here) - a "street name" if you prefer.
Nobody was actually hiding or truly afraid of repercussions, "on the internet nobody has to know you're a dog". Gotta remember this group spawned the entire gaming community, fantasy guilds, dungeons, dragons, wizards, warlocks, etc.
Very heavy on identification with an online persona - changeable between communities. Reminiscent of old time pro wrestling where the local good guy might be a bad guy outta town. Sinister impersonations came later.

BOY now it's different! It's a predatory environment. If someone's not out to steal your identity, they want to sell you something whether you want it or not. (Never click pop ups that want to scan your system for free - they're evil)

If you partake of online political activism & targeted information warfare, you can expect adversarial interaction that severely limits your computing infrastructure - whether it's merely suspending your social media, de-platforming your sources of revenue, or inserting a nasty piece of code on your system that make your life miserable.

I'd never use an actual name, real address, main email, location, birthday or photo on any kind of social media.
We're responsible for protecting our privacy & too many have given their personal information away to google, apple, facebook, twitter, etc. ad infinitum et nauseum.

It's the FUEL for the cancel culture - all this personal public information freely strewn about the internet landscape, available to anybody with an advertising budget or a couple of minutes to research your particulars.

Three rules to consider:
1. Don't give out 'real' personal info online;
2. Since you can't really be anonymous, be an alias;
3. and MOST IMPORTANT - Never post anything that would motivate someone to expend the effort to retaliate.

Just my 2 cents.
ganjoa

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
The big tech companies are literally public utilities at this point and need to be regulated as such. The free exchange of ideas is necessary for any free society to survive.

Yes more government oversight! HERE HERE! We need more government nanny state when our words are censored by a company that doesn't have to give us 1st Amendment rights!

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

My takeaway from this is that American culture has been growing steadily more verbally/psychologically abusive on both sides of the isle, leaning more toward it becoming a cultural trait over the years.

That's pretty #ing disgusting, people are actually proud of this # as Americans?

Edit: My post is lacking context, sorry. I was (and still am) fixated on that bit about both sides being willing to FIRE PEOPLE for donating to a political candidate. F# that, donate to Mao's clone for all I care, nobody has the right to strong-arm your job over it.
edit on 7/30/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit

Problem solved

Now if we could just get this through the thick skulls of the BLM & Antifa rioter dorks, we'd be golden.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: BomSquad

I have been cautioned by my employer to be careful of how I express myself on social media. My personal views and the company's views do not agree.

Yes, I know that there are people searching on Social media for comments not PC, then they screenshot that comment and forward it to their employer to try and get them fired. Big corporations are dropping people like flies for that, they don’t want lawsuits I guess.

new topics

top topics

join