It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Under Fire for Slipping $30 Billion Pentagon Gift Into Coronavirus Plan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

It would directly benefit my mother who works for the DoD, so yeah it does benefit plenty of people who have jobs that rely on the military. Also before you get your hackles up, she works in logistics, turns out the government retirement plan and benefits are better than private sector.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

If this is the only reason to do such a thing. Then the US is doomed either way, no empire lasts forever. It needs to come to an end sometime, don't you think?

Also, it's a publicly owned company, let the 'risk takers' foot the bill, you know the shareholders? Or the customers?

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
HEALS act funding war machines, now that has me laughing.

Historically still doesn't top the "Affordable Care Act" for Orwellian doublespeak names bills, though.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

It will eventually come to an end, but I see zero reason to speed that end along, especially during my lifetime.

This is a bit of a different recession than previous ones, as this recession was 100% the result of governors and mayors shutting down private businesses. If one was searching for who should really be footing the bill for these bail outs, start with the local and state leaders' budgets and from there hit up the local asshats who voted for those fascist idiots in the first place.

At the end of the day, we all know Boeing and Raytheon aren't going to go belly up under any circumstances... so there will be a return to the tax payers on this money they benefit from. At least it isn't like the solar energy companies Obama underwrote loans for that promptly went bankrupt and left the tax payers on the hook for billions in the country's last exercise in bailouts and stimulus spending.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Don't worry. I'm sure we could implicate a few Democrats in there for on the sensitive side of partisan politics.

In a floor speech late Monday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell described the GOP's newly released coronavirus stimulus package as a "carefully tailored" plan to provide financial relief to desperate Americans.

But a look at the legislative text (pdf) released by Senate Republicans shows the HEALS Act is replete with massive gifts to the Pentagon and defense contractors that would do nothing to aid the unemployed, provide nutrition assistance to hungry children, prevent an avalanche of evictions, or stop the spread of coronavirus.

"Last time I checked F-35s don't help families pay their bills," Rep. Chuy García (D-Ill.) tweeted in response to the GOP's proposal of $686 million in spending on new fighter jets.

The legislation also includes hundreds of millions of dollars in funding for surveillance planes, Apache helicopters, and armored vehicles.

Source

I mean how many more billions are we going to throw at the Pentagon? Congress is already in current debates over another potential increase to the military budget that will overtake the next 10 largest national spenders combined, so how on earth do they get away with this?? Reports are in that a good portion of that money is set to go to the purchasing of more F35s, despite the fact the DoD had been actively doing buybacks with Turkey over their F35s a few weeks back. An additional $71.5 billion allowance was made to the Pentagon just last year. Some estimates put the military increase last year by 19%. Meanwhile, more than 30 million continue to be without work, stimulus checks have dried out for most. That money alone could give a good 30 million unemployed americans $1000 each, a lifeline for a while until they get back onto their feet. This is the point we've gotten to with the political system? Where a Corona relief fund feeds into another part of the bloated Pentagon.

F-35's cost up to $122million each...maybe more. The buybacks are not being bought back, they are stuck somewhere in an Amazon warehouse, as for the enduring programme, It's figured to be $1.5trillion over a half-century, maybe more moneywise the way things are currently.
My guess is that the whole caboodle is just another defense payment, why now then?? could F-35's end up shooting on American turf? and is this regime afraid of the people?

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

"Last time I checked F-35s don't help families pay their bills," Rep. Chuy García (D-Ill.) tweeted in response to the GOP's proposal of $686 million in spending on new fighter jets.

Last I checked, defense and aerospace contractors employ people with families, so the Illinois rep's comment isn't accurate.

Yup; a few companies I work with have put people on furlough for a few months now; they are in the process of layoffs come September first.

... but sure those people don't need any assistance; pentagon bad.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

For a short time republicans controlled both the house and senate. Tell me. What did they fix?

I'll tell you. Rhymes with Schnothing.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: strongfp

At the end of the day, we all know Boeing and Raytheon aren't going to go belly up under any circumstances... so there will be a return to the tax payers on this money they benefit from. At least it isn't like the solar energy companies Obama underwrote loans for that promptly went bankrupt and left the tax payers on the hook for billions in the country's last exercise in bailouts and stimulus spending.

Airlines are in big trouble, everywhere, even here, suppliers to aircraft, Rockwell Collins are about to make significant reductions in worker talent, and they make the stuff that is inside of aircraft, that includes the R&D, and likely the customising of.
Thing is, much of that stuff in amalgams has been going on before any virus, and the goal was the most profitable high end business in aviation, and they were all at that, like it or not, and that is where all the quiet money was going, so what is the immediate future now? not many are flying, demand is not there, gilt edged futures are definitely ungilded, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel as yet, and there is this American president yamming on that, "Nobody likes me"
That's what you have got.
A cold, light of the day perspective is dreadfully needed, in the absence of proper leadership.
edit on 28-7-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The GOP knows they won't be able to sneak something like this past Congress; they do this intentionally because they don't want it to pass. When the democrats expectedly & rightfully shut the BS down the Republicans can throw their hands up and say "hey, we tried but the Do-Nothing Dems don't want to take action" and that way they can avoid spending money on us peons(their original intentiom) AND take a bonus jab at the left.

The GOP has no interest in spending taxpayer dollars on anything that might benefit the general public.
edit on 28-7-2020 by bigsnowman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Politicians adding funds to bills for unrelated reasons? No... it doesn’t matter what side of the aisle a politician is a politician.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 01:12 AM
link   
You know, there is a danger here.

The OP is, for once, accurate. I can't speak to F-35s, but I can speak to tanks:

SEC. 310. For an additional amount for ‘‘Weapons
and Tracked Combat Vehicles, Army’’, $375,000,000, to
remain available until September 30, 2022, to prevent,
prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or
internationally: Provided, That the amounts made avail-
able in this section shall only be for Stryker Upgrade:
Stryker DVHA1
: Provided further, That such amounts
shall be in addition to any other amounts available for
such purposes: Provided further, That such amount is des-
ignated by the Congress as being for an emergency re-
quirement pursuant to section 251(b)(2)(A)(i) of the Bal-
anced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985.

Now, that's from page 35 out of 177 pages in the .pdf text of the proposed bill. I didn't make it any farther... it's extremely dry reading (and this is coming from a guy who considers a good book on quantum mechanics as light reading). I already passed out once and almost twice getting that far in.

For once, Sookiechacha is also right... there are funds for a new FBI headquarters in Washington, DC. Would be nice if they cleaned up the image of the FBI before raising up a new building for them.

The danger I mentioned is that, yes, this bill is so chock full of pork it'll squeal if you poke it... but that's not it. No, the danger is that my first impression, based on previous interactions with the OP, was that this was just another political hot piece that wasn't worth the hard drive space needed to hold it. I almost just closed the tab and moved on. Had I done so, chances are I would never have known the truth about this so-called relief package. We call that destroying one's name... and it's damn easy to do. Some call it "crying wolf"... but the effect is the same.

Anyway, back to this proposed bill... the GOP really has no leg to stand on. They (rightly) chastised the DNC for trying to pack the last relief bill with pork the DNC wanted... time to pull up your big boy panties and play by your own rules! I have no issue whatsoever with providing funds for NASA (yes, that's in there too, and not for salaries... specified for exploration and research), some new F-35s, or even a few new Stryker tanks. Military and space exploration are good things in my opinion. But put them out in the open where people can see them, not thinly disguised pork in a bill that is being touted as an economic relief package... especially when that package is coming at a time when we already are getting hit economically with propaganda-induced mass hysteria over a bad cold!

I might also point out that all of these piggie-flesh proposals are also specified to not be controlled by the Balanced Budget Act of 1985. Why do we even have that act if it's this damn easy to shortcut it? I supported that Act back when it was passed... what in the name of the narrow and narrowing world of sports makes any of these politickers think I have changed my mind?

Politics - from the Latin "poly," meaning many, and of course ticks are filthy little blood-sucking parasites whose only legitimate purpose in life is live chicken feed.

TheRedneck

edit on 7/29/2020 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

yes, this bill is so chock full of pork it'll squeal if you poke it...

It really is a shame. Plenty of pork to feed all of Texas eh? Ah, and the military industrial complex keeps churning.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 01:40 AM
link   

One thing I noticed: the proposed bill doesn't even have a number assigned yet in the .pdf. Did you look to see if this was the actual copy or an early draft?

Either way, the fact that someone spent the time to type this up is a shame, but if it has been superceded we are here arguing over a moot paper.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I'm perfectly okay with military funding for defense purposes not aggressive purposes.

I mean if we didn't have a defense for CHYNA imagine how miserable our lives would currently be?

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I would have to see the actual bill and the appropriations of where the money is going to actually go before judging whether this is bad or good. The Military is experiencing some major extra expenses because of the covid too, but to say this money is being legitimately applied to help that I do not know. I will stay neural on this till I see something that this is going to be applied to. It could be there just as a bargaining chip, something they plan on negotiating out to fit some of the changes in that the Democrats want. That is how things work in DC. give and takes happen all the time. Hopefully they do not take away our second stimulus check to give the money to the states. The cost of living increased quite a bit this year although we did save quite a bit sitting at home most of the time instead of going out to the fair and Ancient artifact conference to make up for the raise in costs at the stores for toilet paper and paper toweling.

Has anyone looked into Nancy's proposed $3 trillion dollar bill? I'm sure there's tons on non-Coronavirus pork in there...

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra

originally posted by: rickymouse
I would have to see the actual bill and the appropriations of where the money is going to actually go before judging whether this is bad or good. The Military is experiencing some major extra expenses because of the covid too, but to say this money is being legitimately applied to help that I do not know. I will stay neural on this till I see something that this is going to be applied to. It could be there just as a bargaining chip, something they plan on negotiating out to fit some of the changes in that the Democrats want. That is how things work in DC. give and takes happen all the time. Hopefully they do not take away our second stimulus check to give the money to the states. The cost of living increased quite a bit this year although we did save quite a bit sitting at home most of the time instead of going out to the fair and Ancient artifact conference to make up for the raise in costs at the stores for toilet paper and paper toweling.

Has anyone looked into Nancy's proposed $3 trillion dollar bill? I'm sure there's tons on non-Coronavirus pork in there...

I doubt if there is half a trillion out of the Three that actually will be used for Coronavirus. The Democrats want to reward the big cities and Democratic led states for being stupid. Yes, this coronavirus is a disease that spreads easily and we need to take precautions, but completely shutting down a whole state because a few cities have cases is not good, they lost their income from all the people that didn't go work and then they wasted money thinking the Feds, who are buried in debt, would give them anything they wanted. This whole virus response, especially at the state level in many states, was all messed up. We should have had factories here making things we need all along. We have become to reliant on other countries, and in a pandemic all of those countries are trying to look out for their own citizens....they weren't exporting any masks or medical supplies. Trump spent so much time fighting the looney Democrats heading the house that he got little accomplished. It is not all his fault, I blame most of this craziness on the fear mongering and fact twisting media. I do not have much respect for the greedy medical industry either, but even they got hurt financially by covid since the idiots running things took the wrong path to follow. Protect those most at risk, not shut the country mostly down. I am sure that those at risk would have liked to have a six hundred dollar boosted unemployment check for a year, that could have been possible if so many not at risk people would not have been collecting unemployment. We could afford to help ten percent of the population before, now we are so broke and so many people are unnecessarily fearful that it is not feasable anymore.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Oh ye of little faith! Let me tell you how this goes. Whichever party (it just happens to be the Dems) looks after and gives the military their 40 pieces of silver has the ultimate control over the military. Don't believe that do you? You think the military is politically impartial?
Look lately at the top military men going against the POTUS, verging on treason.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   

If you work for Lockheed Martin they do.

Two words Rep. Chuy García (D-Ill.). "Kennedy Center".
edit on 29-7-2020 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Come on now! Increasing military spending is perfectly pertinent to combating COVID. I mean if we can nuke hurricanes into submission we should easily be able to bomb the "invisible enemy" away.

posted on Jul, 29 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

$30 Billion? Chump change...a mere bag of shells for these crooks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join