It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Under Fire for Slipping $30 Billion Pentagon Gift Into Coronavirus Plan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Don't worry. I'm sure we could implicate a few Democrats in there for on the sensitive side of partisan politics.

In a floor speech late Monday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell described the GOP's newly released coronavirus stimulus package as a "carefully tailored" plan to provide financial relief to desperate Americans.

But a look at the legislative text (pdf) released by Senate Republicans shows the HEALS Act is replete with massive gifts to the Pentagon and defense contractors that would do nothing to aid the unemployed, provide nutrition assistance to hungry children, prevent an avalanche of evictions, or stop the spread of coronavirus.

"Last time I checked F-35s don't help families pay their bills," Rep. Chuy García (D-Ill.) tweeted in response to the GOP's proposal of $686 million in spending on new fighter jets.

The legislation also includes hundreds of millions of dollars in funding for surveillance planes, Apache helicopters, and armored vehicles.

Source

I mean how many more billions are we going to throw at the Pentagon? Congress is already in current debates over another potential increase to the military budget that will overtake the next 10 largest national spenders combined, so how on earth do they get away with this?? Reports are in that a good portion of that money is set to go to the purchasing of more F35s, despite the fact the DoD had been actively doing buybacks with Turkey over their F35s a few weeks back. An additional $71.5 billion allowance was made to the Pentagon just last year. Some estimates put the military increase last year by 19%. Meanwhile, more than 30 million continue to be without work, stimulus checks have dried out for most. That money alone could give a good 30 million unemployed americans $1000 each, a lifeline for a while until they get back onto their feet. This is the point we've gotten to with the political system? Where a Corona relief fund feeds into another part of the bloated Pentagon.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   

GOP Under Fire for Slipping $30 Billion Pentagon Gift Into Coronavirus Plan

And your point is.....???

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

The GOP also wants $1.7 Billion for a new FBI building right across the street from Trump's DC Hotel.

edit on 28-7-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   

"Last time I checked F-35s don't help families pay their bills," Rep. Chuy García (D-Ill.) tweeted in response to the GOP's proposal of $686 million in spending on new fighter jets.

Last I checked, defense and aerospace contractors employ people with families, so the Illinois rep's comment isn't accurate.

link   
Someone once said there should be a bright red, blinking, 10-foot tall neon sign in the Halls of Congress, that's always illuminated
The sign would read: It's Not YOUR Money! It belongs to the American taxpayers!

link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Pretty clearly made by the op

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
So last time the Dems appropriated money to buy Bernie out of the race. And this time the Reps buy weapons to stay ahead in the arms race.

Sounds typical.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Military hardware is better than shuffling money to Planned Parenthood like the Dems always try to do.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Let the people who want the planes spot the bill for these machines of war, not the tax payers. And you can bet those F-35s aren't going into the US fleet.

Why not put that money into rebuilding infrastructure within the US, for citizens, who do not want more war machines.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfpTo maintain our position in the world, war machines do just that.

As for domestic infrastructure, did you forget a Democrat House that obstructs and unwilling to work with the Trump administration? It's because of that we can't fufill some promises made.

Take up your issues with congressional Dems.

edit on 28-7-2020 by Arnie123 because: Truth

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Gothmog

Pretty clearly made by the op

But run of the mill stuff .
Nuthin to see here , move along.

In case you didn't know , that is the way US politics works

Denying ignorance.
Why ?
Sometimes one just has to.

edit on 7/28/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Those who have relatives and friends in the military want them protected as much as possible.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Let the people who want the planes spot the bill for these machines of war, not the tax payers. And you can bet those F-35s aren't going into the US fleet.

Why not put that money into rebuilding infrastructure within the US, for citizens, who do not want more war machines.

It's a valid argument, but unrealistic. Look, using a current example, the system has eased it's boot off the throats of the American proletariat just a bit, if you will, and we have that segment of the country looking to destroy the entire nation the moment they got some room to breathe. Anyone who doesn't realize the rest of the world would do the same, only hundreds of times more violently, to the USA as a whole, INCLUDING the proles, if we remove our military's boot off their throats even a tiny bit, is smoking some powerful stuff.

The day the United States of America eases up on military spending will be the day the United States will be immediately forced into a brutal war with every country we've ever flexed in the direction of. As I have become sort of accustomed to US hegemony and since it directly benefits me to be a citizen of the most powerful nation the world has ever seen, I see zero reason for any American to oppose the continuation of those policies and expenditures.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

The GOP also wants $1.7 Billion for a new FBI building right across the street from Trump's DC Hotel.

Well, that will make it easier for the establishment to illegally use the FBI to spy on Trump than it was when they did it in 2016.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Infrastructure? What possible reason would there be for congress to appropriate tax payer money into anything that benefits the people?

Aside from that maintaining federal roads, bridges, and other transportation systems, is suppose to be funded by the federal government. Why go against decades of tradition and start funding the things they're supposed to?

This isn't even partisan. Congress is embarassing.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   
HEALS act funding war machines, now that has me laughing.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I would have to see the actual bill and the appropriations of where the money is going to actually go before judging whether this is bad or good. The Military is experiencing some major extra expenses because of the covid too, but to say this money is being legitimately applied to help that I do not know. I will stay neural on this till I see something that this is going to be applied to. It could be there just as a bargaining chip, something they plan on negotiating out to fit some of the changes in that the Democrats want. That is how things work in DC. give and takes happen all the time. Hopefully they do not take away our second stimulus check to give the money to the states. The cost of living increased quite a bit this year although we did save quite a bit sitting at home most of the time instead of going out to the fair and Ancient artifact conference to make up for the raise in costs at the stores for toilet paper and paper toweling.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I rather they pass a clean bill of they're going to spend billions more on stimulus.

You want toys? Pay for them on a separate bill that is meant for defense appropriations.

I'm not outraged by this as it is par for the course in Washington, but there is a better way to do this that doesn't scream cronyism every time it's tried.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Last I checked, defense and aerospace contractors employ people with families, so the Illinois rep's comment isn't accurate.

That right there is what irritates me about these debates.

We could look at this practice and decide whether it needs reform. But some are too busy railing against the wrong things to be effective in dealing with the waste, fraud, and abuse that emanates from Congress.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Cant pass a bill without some pork man. That's just the way it has been since before you or I was born.

The Democrats do the same thing. Not even news worthy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join