It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I Was Dragged Into An Argument

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

originally posted by: FishBait

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: FishBait

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: FishBait

so just wear a mask voluntarily, the virus goes away and they have no reason to require a vaccine or tracking.

And if the virus doesn't go away?

Smallpox, Chicken Pox, Ebola, Polio, SARS, mumps, measles, influenza, the common cold... which of those have "gone away"?

TheRedneck

ATS has some of the worst arguments ever. Unfortunately we missed the boat on diverting this disaster on our own due to all the crazy conspiracy people and their loony pres decrying masks and screaming about their constitutional right to go to a bar. By go away I meant be at a manageable level where the whole country doesn't need a vaccine because we've allowed it to spiral out of control. Great argument though, the anti science right as allowed the new Polio to take over and now they have something else to spin a conspiracy about. Take a bow.

< sigh > You're making me go there on this....

That's called natural immunity, ya bumbling dingdong. That natural immunity goal is precisely the reason a highly questionable, highly rushed vaccination would not be needed.

Yea, the whole herd immunity argument is working out great. Once everyone that needs to die from COVID dies we'll be immune. Solid logic.

Well, we wouldn't know would we, as we haven't tried the "herd immunity" approach yet.

Everyone that *needs* to die?

Who are you talking about? Your friends and/or family?

Because if you're talking about my friends - I have news for you:

My friends don't play when things get serious.

OMG. For herd immunity to work a bunch of people will need to die before we have immunity. It's not a threat it's how building an immunity to a deadly disease will play out. It (the virus) kills who it kills. It's going to kill a bunch of people on the way to immunity (which is why it's a horrible idea). Get it now? But way to freak out and over react. I love it how the right are the most trigged snowflakes you'll ever meet. Too funny.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   

a reply to: Riffrafter

Well, we wouldn't know would we, as we haven't tried the "herd immunity" approach yet.

Excuse me? We have to "try" herd immunity? Since when?

Herd immunity is happening as we speak. It's not something that some scientist does when all else fails. It simply describes what always happens normally with any highly infectious disease that does not wipe out the species. No one "tries" herd immunity; it just happens.

Herd immunity will occur when hospitalizations for and deaths directly attributable to the virus drop down to low levels. I believe we're actually getting close.

TheRedneck

I think herd immunity is already here, everyone I know who tested positive for the China bug was not sick.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator

a reply to: Riffrafter

Excuse me? We have to "try" herd immunity? Since when?

Herd immunity is happening as we speak. It's not something that some scientist does when all else fails. It simply describes what always happens normally with any highly infectious disease that does not wipe out the species. No one "tries" herd immunity; it just happens.

Herd immunity will occur when hospitalizations for and deaths directly attributable to the virus drop down to low levels. I believe we're actually getting close.

TheRedneck

I think herd immunity is already here, everyone I know who tested positive for the China bug was not sick.

That's because it doesn't affect that many people to begin with. Most people have none to mild symptoms. The problem is it's highly contagious so a lot of people have it and it's killing/seriously affecting the elderly and other people with pre-existing issues. Herd Immunity doesn't work until 80% or more of the population has it. We aren't even to 10%.

It amazes me all the people that spout off on here and don't even know the basics of what they are talking about.

You know...herd immunity... it's just this magic thing that magically happens and then the virus magically disappears just like my leader said it would.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

That's just the mildness of the disease, not the herd immunity. Herd immunity refers to how many people have developed antibodies for a disease and thus are "immune." I use quotes there because people tend to misunderstand what immunity is... one who has antibodies can still technically get infected with a disease, but because they have antibodies already in their system it is quickly neutralized without incident.

For the vast majority of people, this thing is so mild they don't even know they have it, as you point out. The only people who are at high risk are those with compromised immunity and the elderly (probably because the elderly typically have lowered immunity due to being elderly).

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FishBait

That's because it doesn't affect that many people to begin with. Most people have none to mild symptoms. The problem is it's highly contagious so a lot of people have it and it's killing/seriously affecting the elderly and other people with pre-existing issues.

Agreed. That's why we do need to protect the vulnerable in society. The contagion rate is so high with this thing that it is practically impossible to actually contain it, so the best option is to exercise intense scrutiny around the elderly and infirm.

It is much easier to monitor 3 million people than 300 million.

Herd Immunity doesn't work until 80% or more of the population has it. We aren't even to 10%.

You appear to be using positive test data, which does not indicate how many people have had it... it only indicates how many people have it at that point in time. Herd immunity is based on antibody presence in a percentage of the population, which is something we do not have sufficient information for yet. The best we can say is it is higher than the number infected.

The incubation period is regarded as 14 days. There have been an awful lot of 14 day periods since this began back in January.

It amazes me all the people that spout off on here and don't even know the basics of what they are talking about.

Irony... it's what's for dinner.

You know...herd immunity... it's just this magic thing that magically happens and then the virus magically disappears just like my leader said it would.

No, it's not magic... it's science (yes, there is a difference). Herd immunity happens because people become "immune" (see last post for explanation) to a disease to the extent that there are very few people left that can be successfully infected.

It has nothing to do with politics.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join