It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AOC introduces amendment to defund Trump opportunity zones

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Not just meth. Opiates are right up there with it.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
AOC sure is consistent with killing "golden" gooses. But hey gotta keep that status quo in affect. Any change would be bad in her "mind" [among others].

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
AOC needs to slither back under the rock from which she came. She has no regard for her constituents.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
She has no regard for her constituents.

Apparently they don't feel that way, she's going to get reelected.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I thought that was what made her a politician...

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Programs and incentives like that cause a lot of resentment for the people who have lived there their whole lives. It tends to cause forced re-gentrification. It's happening right now in the city I work in, and a lot of people are very against it. House prices, rent, are sky rocketing, local shops can't compete with the newer shops where the new migrated generations will avoid, and go to the newer trendy more expensive places.

It's an unsettling situation, on one hand yes on the surface it sounds great, run down neighborhoods being revamped, new young energetic entrepreneurs moving in. But the families and people who have lived there their whole lives, multi generations can't compete and are forced out. On top of this large mega contracting company's and real estate giants that use pension money gobble up more and more real estate.
AOC is representing an area that has seen such a predatory change.

Is it the right thing to do to want this program to be shut down? I don't think so, but follow the money and I bet you'll get a more clear picture of who supports the program.

What would you suggest instead? Leave the neighborhoods poor and rundown? Is that like saying I don't want newer technologies like running water, electricity, vehicles and such because it will ruin the old way of life and no one will want to continue living the old-style life?

ANY improvements in an area cause bettering of the environment as a whole and better environments attract (good) attention and a natural attraction by people and business' so of course prices will increase.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Programs and incentives like that cause a lot of resentment for the people who have lived there their whole lives. It tends to cause forced re-gentrification. It's happening right now in the city I work in, and a lot of people are very against it. House prices, rent, are sky rocketing, local shops can't compete with the newer shops where the new migrated generations will avoid, and go to the newer trendy more expensive places.

It's an unsettling situation, on one hand yes on the surface it sounds great, run down neighborhoods being revamped, new young energetic entrepreneurs moving in. But the families and people who have lived there their whole lives, multi generations can't compete and are forced out. On top of this large mega contracting company's and real estate giants that use pension money gobble up more and more real estate.
AOC is representing an area that has seen such a predatory change.

Is it the right thing to do to want this program to be shut down? I don't think so, but follow the money and I bet you'll get a more clear picture of who supports the program.

Hipsters.

Some blame Democrats, some Republicans, the one group I am certain that is unequivocally out to destroy our way of life is those damn hipsters.

Get rid of them and I bet even Democrats and Republicans could get along.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Slave Plantationism ❌

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Democrat Plantation owners used to say the same thing in the mid 1800s 😃

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: rickymouse

Not really sure just what a super yacht marina is gonna do for a poor area. Sure, it might provide a few mechanics and others jobs if they are qualified to work at the marina but its not like those rich folks are gonna want to go off the boat and take the grand tour of the ghetto. Doubt if they will have much interest in any of the resturants there... just not fancy enough. So, those resturants will have to be replaced with new ones, fancier ones, more expensive ones. And, oh, the neighborhood is such an eyesore! All of those unkempt houses! They will have to be replaced also.. wouldnt a mansion look just grand right there?

Each state picks their own opportunity zones FL has 427...here is the demographics of them.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Does it impact them in a more negative fashion than keeping the status quo of run-down, dangerous neighborhoods that most don't want to go near? Because until the communities that are less well off are interested in bettering themselves, the status quo or gentrification are pretty much your options.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Do people even read my posts?

Is it the right thing to do to want this program to be shut down? I don't think so.

Me pointing out the uncomfortable truths and you coming back at me saying "well tough luck" is an argument from someone who clearly doesn't give a damn about peoples lives.

Yet I bet everyone who is pointing out that the lower class should be pushed out will cry and whine about immigration, and immigrants taking their jobs and screwing their housing market. It's no different. Hypocrites.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Obviously. But it will have negative effects.

I think the main problem is who is behind the gentrification projects, who is benefiting from it the most. Not the residents who currently live there. If the programs were meant to help them, then affordable housing would be built. Not another cookie cutter condo, or row housing sold 200% above local market price.

London had one hell of a time dealing with massive real estate company's buying up entire blocks of houses, and just letting them sit vacant, the same with Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Hong Kong, etc.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I agree in part with that, however, if the current residents are offered affordable housing and other programs that directly benefit them, will they actually ensure they're taking care of these new spaces? Or, due to socioeconomic factors, cultural factors, etc. will they allow them to become just as run-down and dangerous as the previous buildings and amenities?

I imagine there is a group that would try and upkeep everything and try to better things, I also imagine there's a larger group that will allow them to fall into disrepair and continue with criminal activity in those areas. It's not a situation with an easy answer, and believe me I don't exactly like seeing historic structures torn down and replaced with cookie cutter anything. It's happening here in Charlotte NC and has been for years, you have $2400 a month rent apartments and $300k condo's a block away from government housing projects.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

It's tough to say. I don't know these areas.

For example tho in the city I work in there's areas that have been run down for years, and years. The people that live there are low income, basically bottom of the barrel waged or factory workers.
If government incentives were brought in to boost their neighborhoods gentrification would be inevitable, and they would be almost forced out. The problem is you will have rapid regrowth and these people will have no where to go, and will just take their poverty somewhere else in the city, or like in Vancouver, or Seattle, they will turn to the streets. And another problem will rise.

It's better to grow naturally and build affordable housing then to let those areas be taken advantage of and every run down home be replaced with a house four times what it was worth. The instant gratification and land grabs, and real estate really does show the nasty side of capitalism.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
I want to walk down the street and feel safe.

Try doing meth, you will feel safe af. Godlike really.

(you sure you didn't mean opiate epidemic? Meth isn't mainstream enough...unless you live in the Breaking Bad universe)

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

AOC blocked Amazon from coming in to provide jobs. From reading your post is it better to leave a area poor and run down a slum or is it better to give them the opportunity to better their lives? May I ask just a side note are you in favor of public union run education or non union charter schools?

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Has anyone bothered to ask the people in these areas what exactly THEY want? Hell, the term "bettering your life" to many would simply mean the newest iPhone, a 75" flatscreen or new rims for their #ty Nissan

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
Has anyone bothered to ask the people in these areas what exactly THEY want? Hell, the term "bettering your life" to many would simply mean the newest iPhone, a 75" flatscreen or new rims for their #ty Nissan

I'm amazed you didn't say a new Cadillac or those people.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Not always forced out and it has to be done the correct way. With those nice condos there is the need for affordable housing. You get local contractors who will then received HUD funding for rent and suddenly you have the poor in new apartments paid for by the middle/upper class.

It works. The problem is when you have local government who likes the funding they get for the run down BS and never fix it. They make the promises each election year and still line the pockets of their friends.

Greed is good when spread around...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join