It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AOC introduces amendment to defund Trump opportunity zones

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Trump's tax law changes in 2017 created some areas in poor neighborhoods that encouraged private investment and gave tax benefits to investors.

It's apparently been working pretty well and probably has created some jobs as well.

But here come the deranged jealous Democrats to the rescue !!

AOC and radical mental case Rashida Tlaib are putting up some legislation to "defund" the program !!

Makes sense because Democrats need to dismantle and then suggest their plan is better.

Beware Democrats want to enhance their own Plantation Systems by hijacking the current successful programs !!

Wait for the Biden Campaign to "promise" a "new" opportunity program !!

Liberal congresswomen Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Rashida Tlaib filed an amendment to a House spending package on Wednesday that would defund the "opportunity zone" program created by President Trump's 2017 tax law.

The amendment, if made into law, would prohibit the Internal Revenue Service from using any funds in a large House spending bill, which is currently under consideration, to administer or enforce the opportunity zone program, a tax break created by the 2017 tax bill meant to revitalize poor communities through private investments.

The tax incentive was created to benefit poor neighborhoods. Democrats opposed the measure and have drawn attention to reports that very wealthy people, such as financier Michael Milken, have taken advantage of opportunity zone designations. ProPublica reported last November that a “superyacht marina” qualified as an opportunity zone. Because there is no requirement to provide an overarching view of how the zones are working, the prevalence of such examples is unknown.

Ocasio-Cortez of New York and Tlaib of Michigan make up half of the liberal contingent of four Democratic women in Congress who call themselves “the Squad.” With the support of other liberal lawmakers and groups, Tlaib tried to repeal the opportunity zones program in 2019 but did not succeed.

AOC introduces amendment to defund Trump 'opportunity zones'

Opportunity Zones

what's good for the goose baby

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

They are so out of touch.

The biggest problem in the world right now, especially the USA is our meth epidemic.

We have millions of ppl being ruined by this and millions of victims of crime perpetuated by the addicts?

There is no problem that comes close to how horrible this one is. Thousands of murders and rapes, billions in theft, etc.

I want to walk down the street and feel safe.
There are lunatics walking around screaming nonsense everywhere I go.

AOC is obviously FAKE like all the rest of the politicians. They are more out of touch than an Electronic Arts executive, good lord!

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Considering this bill was actually endorsed by many democrats in the first place, defunding seems rather silly.
If it’s not always working as intended maybe just tweet it a bit improve the program.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The left hate the poor and working class. Probably because the poor and working class don't listen to their progressive racist drivel and have actual problems to deal with.

Ironic really.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The little girl-child is just going to have to suck it up. Nobody's going to bother with that one because one dingdong & her lap poodle copped an attitude about it. Be happy there's businesses even LOOKING at those neighborhoods, they've never been a good bet for a business owner (between higher robbery risks and much poorer customers than other neighborhoods)

Purely because it bugs me and looks like a little kid's typing crap up lately...WTF is it with Asians -- Chinese in particular -- and the gross abuse of dorky gif use? Explain that ish, come on. Words aren't THAT hard. Edit: I'm not tryng to be an ass, X, just asking. Chinese stepmother was befuddled when I asked her some time ago, and has no ideas other than maybe trying to shortcut something.
edit on 7/26/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   

AOC and most that vote for her are Brown Supremacists.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Programs and incentives like that cause a lot of resentment for the people who have lived there their whole lives. It tends to cause forced re-gentrification. It's happening right now in the city I work in, and a lot of people are very against it. House prices, rent, are sky rocketing, local shops can't compete with the newer shops where the new migrated generations will avoid, and go to the newer trendy more expensive places.

It's an unsettling situation, on one hand yes on the surface it sounds great, run down neighborhoods being revamped, new young energetic entrepreneurs moving in. But the families and people who have lived there their whole lives, multi generations can't compete and are forced out. On top of this large mega contracting company's and real estate giants that use pension money gobble up more and more real estate.
AOC is representing an area that has seen such a predatory change.

Is it the right thing to do to want this program to be shut down? I don't think so, but follow the money and I bet you'll get a more clear picture of who supports the program.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

It’s really a catch 22.
You live in a crap neighborhood.
Money is invested in your neighborhood to make it nicer.
People now want to live in your neighborhood so prices increase.

I don’t see any way around the problem.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I've seen that play out in Syracuse. Force businesses out, just to tear down and build a place for new businesses. And the owners of the original businesses are just plumb out of luck, as well as the taxpayers who foot the bill for most of the cost.
Of course, I grew up poor and well I have to say that that in my hometown, the poor have way nicer places to live than what I did even if they are more expensive if you have to pay full price, which most dont since their rent is subsidized. There are less rats running around the downtown area though so so that's a benefit.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Defund Cortez and Tlaib.

Send those idiots back to their bar tending job and what ever else they were doing.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Gee, I thought that program was one of the better programs that the people in the Trump Administration started. Creating jobs for the people in the poor areas is a lot better than giving them barely enough to survive, it also gives them something to do and to feel better because they are contributing to society.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Makes sense because Democrats need to dismantle and then suggest their plan is better.

To be fair, Republicans do the same thing. More reason to disband the two party system.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Not really sure just what a super yacht marina is gonna do for a poor area. Sure, it might provide a few mechanics and others jobs if they are qualified to work at the marina but its not like those rich folks are gonna want to go off the boat and take the grand tour of the ghetto. Doubt if they will have much interest in any of the resturants there... just not fancy enough. So, those resturants will have to be replaced with new ones, fancier ones, more expensive ones. And, oh, the neighborhood is such an eyesore! All of those unkempt houses! They will have to be replaced also.. wouldnt a mansion look just grand right there?

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
Not really sure just what a super yacht marina is gonna do for a poor area.

Who's gonna clean that bad boy? That's right, poor people.

Clean my yacht, mother lover, I've got some champagne I need to sip on.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: rickymouse

Not really sure just what a super yacht marina is gonna do for a poor area. Sure, it might provide a few mechanics and others jobs if they are qualified to work at the marina but its not like those rich folks are gonna want to go off the boat and take the grand tour of the ghetto. Doubt if they will have much interest in any of the resturants there... just not fancy enough. So, those resturants will have to be replaced with new ones, fancier ones, more expensive ones. And, oh, the neighborhood is such an eyesore! All of those unkempt houses! They will have to be replaced also.. wouldnt a mansion look just grand right there?

Yes, some of the projects were hijacked by the prestigious community heads, but some of the money is going to create jobs. If we got rid of the politicians in the hands of the rich community leaders, then it would work better. To create a marina, they have to hire workers to build it and some to run it. There will be jobs for some to wash the rich people's boats and stores will deliver food to the people on the Yachts. The problem is in the contracts to build the projects, often the companies make megabucks off of building the projects. Low income housing projects makes lot of people rich but also creates some jobs in the area to maintain those housing projects and to supply services and upkeep materials to the projects. But that requires that the suppliers and subcontractors hire local people if you want it to work.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Didn’t we just see an AOC Opportunity Zone or CHAZ recently? And didn’t it collapse to the point of having to be reabsorbed due to proportionally too many murders?
edit on 26-7-2020 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Nevermind the jobs paying higher wages coming in , right ?

Denying ignorance.
Why ?
Some folks wanna talk the talk , without knowing the know.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   

AOC is a child of plenty she was raised in a affluent neighborhood she has never known want, unlike those whom she says she serves. She is not a friend of those she serves, but one who intends on keeping her boot upon their necks like all good communist.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Life isnt all about jobs...

When prices of houses and rent increase faster than wages rise it won't matter if these new businesses are coming in. And those jobs are usually taken up by those who move in. Gentrification affects entire cities and towns in negative ways. Its just how it works.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
She came dancing across the water....with her gallions and guns.....looking for the new world....and for her a palace in the sun.....

Cortez Cortez....what a killer......NEIL YOUNG......

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join