It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next US Domino to Fall: Intel Discussing Moving Processor Manufacturing "Off-Shore"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

No one is going to run to USA since fking Area51. All companies knows what US military is doing since Cold War and screwing the allies. Hoarding fking tech. US deserves nothing til the people make the land of the free an actual land of free instead of land of the fee.

I gave you a star. I read your posts, and it's pretty clear to me which side of the China/US tension you're on.

Nevertheless, contrary to what you might think, I have nothing personal against China (the people at least, CCP is different) and Taiwan. Any country in their shoes would do the same thing, try to lure big tech away from the global leader.

My irritation is with my government and "economic leaders" who are selling out their own countrymen, eliminating American employment opportunities, setting its citizens up for future supply issues, and potentially risking national security.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Does China still own the majority of the world's Rare Earth Mines...? The place(s) wheere the raw materials for Computers come from?

Well, saying that any country has "the majority of resource X" is kind of just predicting the past. New areas are always being identified for harvesting commodities like metal (remember the shale oil revolution recently in the US? nobody knew about many years ago).

Also consider new paradigms in the processing/manufacture of chips. New materials will be needed after Moore's Law eventually means shrinking the chip process & etching can't go much smaller and produce much better chips. Quantum computing is supposed to be the next paradigm shift.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: EndtheMadnessNow

Big changes to come, maybe, dunno if they'd go that drastic albeit prior to 2020 I would say no way but given how the world has done a pole flip anything is possible now no matter how radical. I imagine Trump has a few words to say about it.

One thing I know for certain is if the Fab shutsdown in Oregon you can kiss Washington County good-bye. Tens of thousands of jobs and massive annual infusion of $$$ gone, poof. Course this won't happen overnight nor anytime soon however, Intel is known for making harsh blitzkrieg like moves on short notice. I was an Intel engineer for 18 years. Intel has a HUGE presence in China and shortly before I left I was training Chinese & India engineers on how to do my job. At my salary the corp greed monsters would hire a half-dozen Chinese engineers.

Just about every project I ever worked on (minus the secret one's) were eventually outsourced to China, India, Mexico, Israel, or Poland. Course, at the time I didn't much care as I was always reassigned to future projects 3-5 years out whereas current & past tech was most often outsourced along with all sustaining...up until a few years before I left for greener pastures. I seen the writing on the wall and knew the good 'ole days were never going to return.

This is the core of the matter, and the phenomenon that is driving the movement: cutting "cost overhead" i.e. salaries, employee benefits, etc.

The government must step in and find a way to compel or incentivize tech companies against doing this. I know, I know that is not real capitalism, but the quote in my original post from Lenin really is the drawback of raw unfettered capitalism, and there's no way around it. Pretty soon in the US there will be CEOs, serfs, and nothing else.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: akiros
this is still being politicized out of proportion just a bit.

www.intel.com...

only 4/15 of intel's "fabs" are even located in the USA.

Intel has 15 wafer fabs in production worldwide at 10 locations. Approximately half of our workforce handles production or production services.

Our fab production sites in the United States include:

Chandler, Arizona
Hudson, Massachusetts
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Hillsboro, Oregon.
Fab production sites outside the United States include:

Leixlip, Ireland
Jerusalem, Israel
Kiryal Gat, Israel
Dalian, China.
We have one testing facility and one assembly development facility in the United States. The remainder assembly and test sites are outside the United States:

Shanghai, China
Chengdu, China
San Jose, Costa Rica
Kulim, Malaysia
Penang, Malaysia
Cavite, Philippines
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

How many 7nm fab plants are in the US? 7nm is the current 'cutting edge' of chip fabrication, and AFAIK only TSCM and maybe another Asian company has it, nobody else.

I looked at other fab locations, lots of ones for ancillary processors, CMOS, non-PC/server class chips.

EDIT: to clarify, this conversation is relevant to x86_64 arch chips. I don't believe any sub 10nm chips exists for different archs (arm?), and pretty much the only arch that matters when it comes to home PCs and DC servers is x86_64.

Look at the list of fab plants for 10nm and below, and see how many are outside of Taiwan.

I think plants can be converted to lower fab processing, but will the big companies do that in the US? They have already declined previous chances. I don't like this trend.
edit on 26-7-2020 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: CobaltCPD

I can't help but feel like the article completely missed the point.

Intel suspended all US based server CPU production because they technologically fell behind and the factories they have lack the tooling to manufacture cutting edge CPUs. Basically management goofed while their competitors ate their lunch.

www.engadget.com...

Those factories are closing because they literally lack the ability to manufacture a modern product and keep up with the competition. Even worst, Intel admitted they were 2+ years behind the competition (Nvidia, AMD etc.)

TLDR : Intel Managerial incompetence resulted in useless factories and competition ate their lunch. Even if they kept the factories open they would be selling a US made CPU inferior to the competition.

Yes, very good, you highlighted and aspect of the story that I neglected: apathy/ignorance towards new strides in shrinking CPU architecture on the part of Intel management.

The management groups that couldn't steer the company towards better R&D and advancements, is now throwing in the towel and saying "if we can't beat em, join em".

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Not if Intel plans on moving their entire production and AMD does not.
And , some companies still remember the cheap Taiwan cap popping debacle.

edit on 7/26/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Not if Intel plans on moving their entire production and AMD does not.
And , some companies still remember the cheap Taiwan cap popping debacle.

I think that Intel is planning to move their fab operations for 7nm chip designs and smaller overseas, so this would basically mean all current gen and next-gen PC/server processors would NOT be produced in the US.

Yes, both Intel and AMD have larger process (>= 10nm) plants domestically, and maybe some of those might remain, but really, these are older generation and again they are not used for CPUs for most new consumer PC/ data center servers.

edit on 26-7-2020 by SleeperHasAwakened because: Correct chip size

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'll bet Brazil would die to have them come there.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
I'll bet Brazil would die to have them come there.

I'm sure any country would, however, Intel is not going to relocate to any arbitrary place. Taiwan is a candidate because they already have existing, modern infrastructure (TSMC) that is set up for fabrication of 7nm chips.

posted on Jul, 27 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well, now Intel has essentially fired their leading executive in charge of R&D. Who knows if this is a legitimate, warranted decision, or simply making a token gesture for Wall Street after the recent news of Intel's lagging technology advancements tanked their stock.

I'd also be interested to know whose idea it is to move all of Intel's leading PC/server chip fab (7nm and new 5nm) to Taiwan. CEO Bob Swan recently told the media it doesn't actually matter where Intel's chips are produced. I mean really?? With millions out of work thanks to COVID, seemingly endless supply chain disruptions, and growing tension with China...he thinks it'll be fine to ship thousands of high-tech jobs into China's back yard? Did Swan just emerge last week from his bunker in New Zealand? Might want to catch up a little on current events Bob, and get back to us.
edit on 27-7-2020 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join