It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom needs a new laptop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I am pretty knowledgeable about computers but as the title says I am a little stuck and in need of some advice.All my mom does is play Facebook games and watches Netflix on it.So my question is: Does she still need a dedicated graphics card for this or can I stick with integrated graphics? Thanks in advance.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: buckwhizzle

With either AMD or Intel integrated graphics will be more than capable of web surfing and light Facebook gaming ( or light gaming in general ).

IMO look for a basic laptop with the features and screen size / resolution she prefers and then focus on RAM as memory would be the most obvious potential bottleneck. Eight GB is a solid minimum though I'd personally go for sixteen.

ETA: About six months ago I picked up a very cheap laptop ( $199 ) with a Ryzen 3 3200u in it, swapped out the 4 GB RAM for 16 GB and it's overkill for basic things like video streaming, light gaming, web surfing, social media etc.
edit on 7/24/20 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Get her a tablet or a stationary pc.
laptops are a thing of the past.

(post by Mach2 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Does she even need a laptop?

If all she's doing is getting on facebook and watching netflix. An iPad should be enough for her.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The sort of laptop that has dedicated graphics normally are gaming ones and well over specified and priced for the requirements.

Onboard graphics powered from the CPU (IGP's) these days are pretty powerful and some of the newer AMD ones are starting to come in at some seriously nice prices for the spec.

Not in the USA but can remember that UFDtech did a review of some cheap wallymart laptop not long ago and was very impressed with it.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I got my wife a tablet two years ago. She plays games and watches movies on it. Success.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You can get a used laptop on ebay for under 200 dollars for everything she would ever need. If you dont have high demanding server or gaming needs, all of the hardware from 2010 on is pretty much fine. I build buy and deal computer parts and pcs for a living.

To answer your question, Asus ROG STRIX 17.3 inch gaming laptop with Radeon hd 5870 can be had on ebay for about 200-250
I had a cheap AMD A6 laptop with an HDMI out that i got for free that plays 1080p, but for 4k youre gonna need something a little stronger, and an older laptop with dedicated graphics will be hundreds cheaper than a newer one with integrated graphics that can bust out 4k. just read reviews on google.
edit on 24-7-2020 by akiros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

The laptop that UFDTech reviewed is the one I bought, the brand name is Motile. It's a standard whitebook from China with some sound software from THX ( who I think underwrote the product line ) and that was released as a Black Friday loss leader.

Sadly Walmart still carries one of two models of the Motile laptops ( One was Ryzen 3, the other Ryzen 5 - they currently have stock on the Ryzen 3 ) but the current price for the lower end version is $329 and not the $199 price that it carried well into March of this year.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Just for you.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for the advice!

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Let us know what you ended up going with.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle
I am pretty knowledgeable about computers but as the title says I am a little stuck and in need of some advice.All my mom does is play Facebook games and watches Netflix on it.So my question is: Does she still need a dedicated graphics card for this or can I stick with integrated graphics? Thanks in advance.

My Dad was in a similar situation. He got a Chromebook laptop. Kind of the best of both worlds. He does a few games, and needed something simple. Not enough room in my Mom’s and Dad’s apartment for a PC, so this was the next best thing.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Linus just posted a video about 2 dirt cheap wallymart lappys and i'd say avoid them.

posted on Jul, 26 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Just watched the same video and came to offer the same conclusion.

In fact I did spent a few bored minutes searching and couldn't find anything in the $200 range worth buying at all. Everything in that range is Chromebooks or Windows S based and running on Atom or Celeron CPU's.

I check deals daily out of habit and if I come across a great buy in the relatively near future, I'll post it here for the OP.

join