It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump cancels GOP convention set for Jacksonville, Florida, citing coronavirus

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
LOL why give the left a spigot to flood the airways with anti Trump stuff for 2 weeks.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Good he is taking it seriously..lead by example.

Yep, better late than never.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Timing? Really?

'We can't pull it off': Florida sheriff says he can't muster security for GOP convention”

The sheriff of Jacksonville, Fla., said he can’t provide security for the Republican National Convention because of a lack of clear plans, adequate funding and enough law enforcement officers.

“As we're talking today, we are still not close to having some kind of plan that we can work with that makes me comfortable that we're going to keep that event and the community safe,” Duval County Sheriff Mike Williams

www.politico.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   
imo, trump is more afraid of another Tulsa than covid19. His ego is just much to fragile to take another disappointment like that so he bailed.
edit on 23-7-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

It is all going to go away. It will disappear like magic.

Wait, what were you talking about...?

edit on 23/7/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Timing? Really?

'We can't pull it off': Florida sheriff says he can't muster security for GOP convention”

The sheriff of Jacksonville, Fla., said he can’t provide security for the Republican National Convention because of a lack of clear plans, adequate funding and enough law enforcement officers.

“As we're talking today, we are still not close to having some kind of plan that we can work with that makes me comfortable that we're going to keep that event and the community safe,” Duval County Sheriff Mike Williams

www.politico.com...

I think this is propaganda too, put in place so Trump didn't have to fess up to the fact that people don't want to attend the convention, even Republicans.

The White House has access to enough security that a police department's offering would be equal to a beat patrol. Crowd control at best.

He just went with coronavirus in the end because it looks more noble on his part.
edit on 23-7-2020 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

originally posted by: Annee
Timing? Really?

www.politico.com...

I think this is propaganda too, put in place so Trump didn't have to fess up to the fact that people don't want to attend the convention, even Republicans.

The White House has access to enough security that a police department's offering would be equal to a bear patrol. Crowd control at best.

He just went with coronavirus in the end because it looks more noble on his part.

Everything is campaigning to him.

Can’t have the big rally’s? New plan — Mr Nice guy.

Some of his base are turning against him because of his non-handling of Covid.

Gotta rein them in.

He doesn’t get a “Brownie Button” for this.

edit on 23-7-2020 by Annee because: SPELLING

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
imo, trump is more afraid of another Tulsa than covid19. His ego is just much to fragile to take another disappointment like that so he bailed.

Absolutely!!!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I wouldn’t stage an execution in Jacksonville to be honest. Dangerous place to be, your intended might get ganked going across the parking lot to the building.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I guess that moloch is satisfied with 150000 sacrifices this year.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Then it sounds like this is gropey Joe's time to strike- he should hold a rally and throw those big numbers right in Trump's face!

Only problem is that Joe couldn't fill a Starbuck's.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
Well I wont give Trump any props. Donald Trump does NOT care about you and yours. It's strictly a political move because he's tanking. And if you can't see that oh well. Does this mean all of you are going to start wearing masks? Good. I've waited a long time, but now I can say, Trump supporters, "Told you so".

a reply to: HalWesten

I was wondering how this would be bad for Trump, not I know.

BTW, if you ever wonder what TDS looks like up close, this is a fantastic place to look.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
Well I wont give Trump any props. Donald Trump does NOT care about you and yours. It's strictly a political move because he's tanking. And if you can't see that oh well. Does this mean all of you are going to start wearing masks? Good. I've waited a long time, but now I can say, Trump supporters, "Told you so".

a reply to: HalWesten

I was wondering how this would be bad for Trump, not I know.

BTW, if you ever wonder what TDS looks like up close, this is a fantastic place to look.

While I disagree that it’s “bad” for Trump, I have a hard time seeing it as anything else but pandering considering his messaging regarding the virus in the past several months. His biggest criticism right now is his reaction to the virus, then in the last two weeks you see him start wearing a mask, promoting mask use and now cancelling the event with the virus as a reason.

I’m certainly not saying it’s wrong of him to do, politicians will do what they have to in order to get votes so it’s not unusual to me, but I have a hard time seeing it as anything else BUT an effort to gain steam in the polls/voters. I highly doubt he’s done any of this stuff happily.

For months he’s downplayed the severity of the virus, but now he’s walking it back. It can’t simultaneously be nothing to worry about while being something to worry about. Like I said, I don’t really fault him for the 180, I’m just having a hard time believing it’s anything but pandering to the people who have showed concern in regards to his response.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Drucifer

lol, I told my wife when I saw this, "the left will demonize Trump for this, even though it's what they wanted to happen." I was right.

He could save a baby from being eaten by a shark and y'all would be mad he deprived the shark of it's lunch.

speaking of sharks..........the left seems to be awful close to jumping this one.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   

lol, I told my wife when I saw this, "the left will demonize Trump for this, even though it's what they wanted to happen." I was right.

He could save a baby from being eaten by a shark and y'all would be mad he deprived the shark of it's lunch.

speaking of sharks..........the left seems to be awful close to jumping this one.

Don’t include me in that y’all, if I actually bought into either of the party’s BS, I’d have registered Republican already. The only thing the parties have done in the last 3 years is convince me to stick with the Libertarian party. Though I must admit, the influx of LINO’s is certainly doing a good part in making the party look more and more like a hiding place for conservatives.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drucifer

Don’t include me in that y’all, if I actually bought into either of the party’s BS, I’d have registered Republican already. The only thing the parties have done in the last 3 years is convince me to stick with the Libertarian party. Though I must admit, the influx of LINO’s is certainly doing a good part in making the party look more and more like a hiding place for conservatives.

This right here is an example of what I have talked about before with people wanting to identify as a Libertarian and not know anything about the party.

How in the world is the Libertarian party a "hiding place for conservatives" when a major part of the Libertarian platform is financial conservatism? Besides that one of the aims of the Libertarian party is smaller government. One that most conservatives share support for. I could go on.

The reason why I stopped aligning myself with the Libertarian party is that people want to be Libertarian just so they can say they're not a Democrat or a Republican.

Most of the people who call themselves Libertarians don't even stick to the platform.

The Libertarian party has become a joke.

First we get people running for office who want to legalize drugs before amending the gun background check process.

Sure let's legalize drugs and at the very same time make it more difficult to legally own a gun.

Then, there was Vermin Supreme. That was stupid. I get it, I think the guy is hilarious, but I would never take him serious. Then his VP Spike Cohen was basically Vermin's hype man.

Now he's Jorgensen's VP.

I would actually entertain the idea of voting for Jorgensen, but until the Libertarian Party cleans up it's act and gets serious I don't believe in it.

Between Gary Johnson rolling around on the floor during a pot debate, James Weeks doing a strip tease, and Vermin's boot wearing sing along with Spike about free ponies and garbage like that I absolutely think that it's a joke.
edit on 2472020 by AutomateThis1 because: Wasn't done.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

originally posted by: Drucifer

This right here is an example of what I have talked about before with people wanting to identify as a Libertarian and not know anything about the party.

How in the world is the Libertarian party a "hiding place for conservatives" when a major part of the Libertarian platform is financial conservatism? Besides that one of the aims of the Libertarian party is smaller government. One that most conservatives share support for. I could go on.

The reason why I stopped aligning myself with the Libertarian party is that people want to be Libertarian just so they can say they're not a Democrat or a Republican.

Most of the people who call themselves Libertarians don't even stick to the platform.

The Libertarian party has become a joke.

First we get people running for office who want to legalize drugs before amending the gun background check process.

Sure let's legalize drugs and at the very same time make it more difficult to legally own a gun.

Then, there was Vermin Supreme. That was stupid. I get it, I think the guy is hilarious, but I would never take him serious. Then his VP Spike Cohen was basically Vermin's hype man.

Now he's Jorgensen's VP.

I would actually entertain the idea of voting for Jorgensen, but until the Libertarian Party cleans up it's act and gets serious I don't believe in it.

Between Gary Johnson rolling around on the floor during a pot debate, James Weeks doing a strip tease, and Vermin's boot wearing sing along with Spike about free ponies and garbage like that I absolutely think that it's a joke.

You don’t have to look any further than ATS to find the LINO’s, who will claim they’re libertarians while also applauding the Mexico wall, taking land away from land owners to build that wall and jumping into any pro-life discussion with straight up right-wing ideals.

Funny though, this is the 2nd time in a different context the “most people who go Libertarian don’t stick to the platform”. I had a few friends who gave me sh!t when I stopped eating meat and dairy with “most people who go vegan don’t stick to it, so why bother?”. That has zero effect or pull on my choice and beliefs, so it’s a moot point to me.

Every party has it’s dips!ts. In actuality, my beliefs in regards to a party are right about smack dab in the middle, however, due to those idiots and my extreme lack of faith in the government, I registered as a Libertarian. I would rather support a couple nut jobs than support a whole bunch of nut jobs in the two big parties. I don’t do the pro-life thing simply because I’ve seen what happens when people who shouldn’t have kids do have kids (myself being one of those kids) and the pandering of the left is just too much for me.

There are aspects of the libertarian party I don’t think would work with where the country is at today, such as welfare, which is a HUGE issue for me due to the extreme abuse I saw of it growing up, however, I do believe in a strong safety net for those who need it because, unfortunately, I don’t trust that relying on your neighbor or family is enough. What if they’re all broke, too? So I lean a little left that way. Aside from, that, everything else, under the Libertarian Party Of Florida’s platform, is 100% spot on as far as I’m concerned.

I see two big evil parties (D’s and R’s) and a 3rd party which has never gotten a chance to rise to the occasion. Of course there are going to be issues within a party that’s never actually been put in a position of power. You can draw up all the plans you want to make a building, but once you start physically building it, you’re unaware of the revisions you’ll have to make to make it work in reality.

edit on 24-7-2020 by Drucifer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Fair points.

And I will agree that that in my opinion the Libertarian Party does well at the local level, but I think there's a disconnect at the national level where the people at the top can't get it together.

Overall, I guess I don't really disagree with you. The whole LINO thing irks me, because it I've seen the whole Republicans are hiding in the party/Democrats are hiding in the party/liberal/conservatives are hiding in the party.

It's basically groups of people trying to deplatform/delegitimize the party and basically usurp it.

I've seen and heard people on my local level who claim to be Libertarian espouse hard left principles not just on social issues but on financial issues, and basically it pushes people away from the party. The same thing happened to the Democrat Party.

That's why a lot of former Libertarians including myself said eff it and went to identifying as AnCaps.

I'm not going to continue identifying as one thing when it's getting coopted by people I cannot agree with and don't belong in the party.

That's like being in a great group that does positive work and then finding out it's been taken over by a cult and staying involved because in name it's still a good group.
edit on 2472020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join