It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump cancels GOP convention set for Jacksonville, Florida, citing coronavirus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   
He's wearing a mask now in public, he's restarted his coronavirus briefs, he seems to be on talking terms with Dr Fauci and now this. Whatever you believe, he's heading in the direction now in my opinion. I'm glad he's taken this virus serious in light of the GOP convention. I may not agree with conservatives, republicans, but I certainly would not wish this horrible virus on anybody.

President Donald Trump on Thursday moved to cancel the Jacksonville, Florida, portions of the Republican National Convention, scheduled for August, citing the threat of the coronavirus.

“I told my team it’s time to cancel the Jacksonville, Florida, component of the GOP convention,” Trump said at a White House briefing on the coronavirus. The state has become a hot spot for the virus.

“Thousands of people [are] wanting to be there, and I mean in some cases desperately be there,” Trump said. “People making travel arrangements all over the country.”

Trump said he will still deliver a campaign speech but “in a different form,” without giving any additional details. He said he would announce more details on the speech in the coming days.

CNBC

Props to him. This isn't like any old flu. We're fast approaching 150,000 deaths from this virus over a matter of 6 months. Florida alone has become the epicentre of this virus with an average of 10,000 cases a day. This can't go on, and I also credit governor De Santis for holding more briefings and updates on this. Let's on all move on and fight this thing together. I'll note that the GOP convention will obviously go on elsewhere. It's not completely off the books.... but Florida should be off limits now until they get this spike under control.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   
He is making the right call.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bluemooone2

He is making the right call.

This looks presidential, and I have no doubt it'll only help him in the polls. Going against the realities of this virus hasn't done him any good for months... better late than never. Not too concerned about him gaining from this. If that means his followings pony up and get on board with the rest of the country to deal with this, I'm all for it.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I appreciate the fact that you actually gave him credit for doing something right.

Ten thousand cases a day is a lot, but the more important number is how many deaths a day are there? In Michigan we're still looking at both numbers dropping, this week (after the surge a couple of weeks ago) and deaths under ten per day for the last 22 out of 30 days.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well I wont give Trump any props. Donald Trump does NOT care about you and yours. It's strictly a political move because he's tanking. And if you can't see that oh well. Does this mean all of you are going to start wearing masks? Good. I've waited a long time, but now I can say, Trump supporters, "Told you so".

a reply to: HalWesten

edit on 23-7-2020 by MiddleInsite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

Well I wont give Trump any props. Donald Trump does NOT care about you and yours. It's strictly a political move because he's tanking.

I have no doubt it's a political move MiddleInsite.... but the end benefits outweigh the negatives. He has little care, I have no doubt, but his actions will save the lives of many, no doubt. It's a step into the right direction.... so his political agenda to me is a necessary evil.... if that means positives. He gets credit for the right move from me. That alongside his briefings again (however controversial they've been).

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
Well I wont give Trump any props. Donald Trump does NOT care about you and yours. It's strictly a political move because he's tanking. And if you can't see that oh well. Does this mean all of you are going to start wearing masks? Good. I've waited a long time, but now I can say, Trump supporters, "Told you so".

I really don't care what you do, or don't do. If all you can do is hate, that's your problem. The rest of us can tune you out just as easily.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Heres something funny you might not know. The Death tolls are about normal now for this time of year. we have not been in epidemic death toll level for 6 wks according to the CDC's own numbers. SOme countries are flat into herd immunity,like Sweden. O deaths due to covid now this week or infections.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Not sure this is a "told you so" moment, but if it makes you feel better, good for ya. Funny, COVID just might make the bottom of the top 10 list of things that people are most likely to die of. That means there are at least 10+ things that are more deadly than this virus. That means there are 10+ other things that we should have shut down the US for because they are more deadly than this virus, but we didn't because we live our lives with some risk by getting out of bed each day.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Just stop!
There is political gain to be had....

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

You don't know it's strictly a political move, you can't prove that it is. If it is, so what? Every politician does whatever will benefit their political career.

I know you don't think it's possible for him to agree to do something that is right, but that's your TDS causing you to be that way. As far as wearing masks, most of us, I would wager, will wear them or not depending on our beliefs and thoughts about the current situation. We're not sheep like you liberals are, following a child-sniffer who's losing his marbles more and more each day.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I find it odd that trump cancels his convention because of covid19 but still wants kids back in school and even threatens to cut of funding for schools that don't open.

See the disconnect?

abcnews.go.com...

www.rawstory.com...
edit on 23-7-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Maybe if he can keep up the presidential act his second term will go more smoothly.

PS- Still not wearing a mask.
edit on 2372020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Good he is taking it seriously..lead by example.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I find it odd that trump cancels his convention because of covid19 but still wants kids back in school and even threatens to cut of funding for schools that don't open.

See the disconnect?

abcnews.go.com...

www.rawstory.com...

Why shouldn't the children and parents get the money to fund their education If schools are closed?

Does the Department of Education fund teachers or students? Take that one more step and distribute the school lunch money spent by the Department of Agriculture and give it to parents to feed kids on free and reduced lunch.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   
That's smart! Also, Trump should take his own health more seriously. I know you guys have all been brainwashed to think that the COVID is some sort of joke, but his life is in danger. He doesn't wear a mask, he is around lots of people who are also around lots of people, and if he gets sick, he has a high chance of dying due to factors like his age and health.

The White House and his own helicopter have been hit by the virus already in the last week. Expect it to climb to the top.
edit on 23pmThu, 23 Jul 2020 20:18:34 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Remember...the science. Two totally different demographics and spacial situations. Children by and large are uneffected by the virus, and few transmit it. And schools are a controlled environment more so than a space filled with older adults attempting 6' distancing. Two very different scenarios.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian
China and Iran were looking for an opportune target to attack, hence the covid 19 alibi.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Is this the same convention center that said not enough security planning and money to pay for it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join