It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two DHS Officials Apparently Just Admitted Their Troops Have Been Violating the Constitution

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I am amazed at how many internet users are constitutional lawyers, that feel the Trump, Barr and DHS have done in Portland is legal. I am also extremely confused by the lack of honesty about whats going on at these protests.
I read this article which describes exactly why the Federal police actions in Portland have been unconstitutional.

Acting Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Chad Wolf and one of his subordinates appear to have admitted their agents have been making unconstitutional arrests of Black Lives Matter protesters in Portland during a series of public appearances.

Here’s the exact comment.

“Anytime that you attack a federal facility such as a courthouse in Portland that is a federal crime,” Wolf told Fox News host Martha MacCallum on Tuesday night. “Attacking federal police officers–law enforcement officers–which they have done for 52 nights in a row is a federal crime. So, the Department, because we don’t have that local support, that local law enforcement support, we are having to go out and proactively arrest individuals and we need to do that because we need to hold them accountable.”

Anticipatory arrests, of course, are prohibited under the U.S. Constitution.

source

WTF?

What level of probable cause are you getting?” a reporter asked on Tuesday during a press briefing. “Because some people are saying that they’re being detained on the sidewalk by an agent they don’t recognize and being put into an unmarked vehicle. So, what exactly, is the standard of probable cause you are getting and how is that not a violation of civil liberties?”

Wolf noted that his agents were not going directly into crowds of protesters because Portland is currently “a very difficult environment to work in.” He also said that his agents were using probable cause, but declined to elaborate, before turning the microphone over.

source

So no probable cause, just a round to be proactive, What says you ATS, how does this compare to the Bundy's siege of federal land and building, is one good and the other bad, or is this because one group is liberal the other right wing? Do rights belong to all American (US) citizens or just just those of certain political parties?

Two parties to divide them all, god help the US of A!!!

+64 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
That isnt what he said. He said he was not sharing the probable cause with that reporter.

Nothing about his comments add up to the hoax title that this thread apparently has.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act is a United States federal law that provides for extended criminal penalties and a civil cause of action for acts performed as part of an ongoing criminal organization. The RICO Act focuses specifically on racketeering and allows the leaders of a syndicate to be tried for the crimes they ordered others to do or assisted them in doing, closing a perceived loophole that allowed a person who instructed someone else to, for example, murder, to be exempt from the trial because they did not actually commit the crime personally.[1]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Detroit Would Welcome Federal Help to Combat Gun Crimes

THE federal government wants to help Detroit fight violent crime, not patrol streets in search of protesters, city officials said Thursday.

Mayor Mike Duggan said Detroit hasn't experienced the protest-related violence seen in other cities. He said he and police Chief James Craig “are comfortable” that any agents coming to the city will not be under the Department of Homeland Security.......
Barr and President Donald Trump spoke only of plans in Chicago and Albuquerque, New Mexico. But the White House later said in a statement that the program would be expanded to Cleveland, Detroit and Milwaukee.

edit on 7232020 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

edit on 7232020 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad
Is this like saying I love my spouse but.....

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I say it isn't hard to single out jackasses throwing firebombs at Federal police and facilities on camera and find them and arrest them "proactively".

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Sorry, you blew this one.

He also said that his agents were using probable cause

Your entire premise is false. You should have read it first.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I am amazed at how many internet users are constitutional lawyers, that feel the Trump, Barr and DHS have done in Portland is legal.

I am surprised at the sheer number of folks that read "stuff" into articles that isn't there .
And , a majority number of folks that state "stuff" and have no concept of the Constitution yet feel compelled to state said "stuff anyway.
edit on 7/23/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Sorry, you blew this one.

He also said that his agents were using probable cause

Your entire premise is false. You should have read it first.

Is that like these folk are outside and are probably going to do something illegal ?

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Social media is the downfall of your so called "protesters". How many idiots do you suppose tagged themselves and their friends going out to commit vandalism? Pretty easy to nab people when you have a name & a face to look for. Understandably the media doesn't want to admit that and if I was in charge of the clean up I wouldn't go announce it either. Law enforcement has been using this technique for years. Many departments have task forces just combing social media looking for idiots who do that.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   

What don’t you understand?

The probable cause is destruction of federal property and violence against federal officials.

If you are standing in a group of people that are trying to violently destroy Federal property you are a potential suspect even if you are only watching.

It could easily be argued that those in the group that are not themselves being violent are accomplices to a crime because their presence is making it more difficult to identify those who are actually causing the violence.

If these violent protesters had only been doing this a day or two it could be understood that innocent people unintentionally were caught in the middle. After 50+ days if you show up you are fully aware of the criminals that you have chosen to accompany.

edit on 23-7-2020 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Why you so butt hurt about Portland?
I don’t care who does it but there needs to be a crackdown on these clowns after almost 2 months.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

You think throwing firebombs at a federal building is legal? Assaulting federal LEO's is legal? Arson is legal?

The question is, why are the locals not helping them?

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I don't know, it's a bizarre situation that's for sure.

Is it constitutional for the feds to do this ?

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   

You Need Better Click Bait Chum .

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Posting something as fact because of a Clickbait title. Usually makes you wind up looking like you posted something as fact because of a Clickbait title.
edit on 23-7-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Do you think that what the “protestors” in Portland are doing is legal? Are their actions ok?

I’m curious what you really think about what they are doing. Their actions. Do you really think that they are peacefully protesting?

Can you, AlaskanDad, separate what the protestors are doing from what the federal officers are doing? What I mean is this: you seem to think that the federal officers’ actions are unconstitutional, and therefore, the protestors aren’t breaking any laws. It seems you think that the feds are overstepping and so that means the protestors are completely in the right.

How about admitting that the “protestors” are acting unlawfully? Guess what- you can still say that the feds are overstepping while also saying that the protestors are being unlawful.

These people are rioting and destroying things and putting people and property in danger. They are being total assholes. Your defense of them makes you seem like an angry crazy person. You’ll maybe get more people to listen to and dialogue productively with you if you stop defending the damn thugs. You can still think the feds are overstepping without defending the criminal actions of the rioters.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Address the article, the news outlet, the writer or the facts, but keep your personal insults to yourselves.

The facts are there, read it and weep!

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Our constitution is being torn up for toilet paper and it is not protestors doing it!

looks like a bunch of triggered posts...

...trigger was a horse, so ho did you get triggered????

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
Address the article, the news outlet, the writer or the facts, but keep your personal insults to yourselves.

The facts are there, read it and weep!

Address my reply and the question I asked you. Otherwise it seems you’re not here to discuss anything but instead to spam the board with your frenzied not-fully-formed thoughts.

<<   2  3 >>

join