It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Protests in Kyrgzstan After Elections; Governors Held Hostage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Protestors are holding two governors captive in Kyrgyzstan while demanding that President Askar Akayev resign. Protestors numbering in the thousands also rallied around the country citing election fraud and demanding a runoff election between President Akayev and their candidate Ravshan Jeyenbekov. Another large group of protestors seized a government building demanding that their candidate Adakhan Madumarov be declared the winner. The government of Kyrgyzstan denies allegations of voter and election fraud.

ap.tbo.com
The opposition accuses authorities of widespread abuses in Sunday's parliamentary runoff elections in which Akayev secured an overwhelmingly loyal parliament. The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe said the vote had significant problems.

Sunday's elections set the stage for October's presidential election in this ex-Soviet republic. The opposition fears Akayev could use a compliant parliament to extend his 15-year rule beyond constitutional limits.

The government has dismissed allegations of misconduct during the elections.

Among the newly elected lawmakers are Akayev's daughter, Bermet, and son, Aidar.

On Tuesday, opposition leaders led a rally of about 4,000 supporters on the main square in the southern city of Jalal-Abad.

"We will not back off on our demand that Akayev must resign!" said opposition leader Kurmanbek Bakiyev, a former prime minister who lost his bid for parliament on Sunday. The crowd chanted back: "Akayev go!"

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is quite eye opening to see the number of recent large protests against governments around the world. People want change and in places around the world other than the US, gathering in masses and protesting gets worldwide attention and actually spurs on change. It is positive to see people taking control of their governments but holding members of the government hostage is not an aspect that should be used if positive change is really wanted.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
How will this effect Russia's forward air bases I wonder? Has there been any official response to the situation from the Kremlin?

Add another revolution to the list. Man, this is breaking out all over...

I haven't seen enough evidence to know for sure whether all the revolutions are being masterminded by the same group, but I suspect they are.

What a wonderful, changing time we live in eh?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
More instability in central asia, very interesting. THe 'stans seem to have rather unpopular governments.

Then again, who is to say that there was a problem in these elections? The Orange Revolution didn't kidnap government officials and threaten to kill them or demand that their guy be installed at the threat of mob violence and civil war. Perhaps those actions reveal who is on the side of right in both cases.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Update:
Protesters Rampage in Kyrgyzstan City, Demand President Resign

Thousands of protesters demanding the resignation of Kyrgyzstan's president over a flawed election rampaged through a southern city on Sunday, burning down a police station and occupying government buildings.
The government of the former Soviet republic said it was ready to negotiate, but opposition leader Kurmanbek Bakiyev said talks would only be possible if President Askar Akayev himself is involved.

"All other lower level negotiations will be just a waste of time," said Bakiyev, the 55-year-old leader of the opposition People's Movement of Kyrgyzstan.

Some analysts have suggested Kyrgyzstan is ripe for an outburst of the mass protests experienced by other post-Soviet countries, such as those that recently brought pro-Western leaders to power in Ukraine and Georgia.

These people have 3 demands, I think their demands should be met, just start over and see what happens...wish we could have done that.

As protests have grown, the opposition has made three made demands - Akayev's resignation, a new presidential vote and a new parliamentary ballot.

[edit on 3-21-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This is, I notice, precisely what people predicted would happen the US over the last presidential election. I think its safe to say that the US is no where near as divided as is required for these sorts of things.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
In the US, we have been conditioned to believe that protests are useless and a failure by our media. Our media dictates what is shown and also influences how people see a story. If the media were to give more attention to protests here in the US and allow people to have a national platform, then things could be accomplished.

Just look at this country, changes will soon happen, look at Lebanon, look at Syria, look at Yugoslavia, and most of the former USSR blocks, all were able to promote awareness to their issues and brought on change with protests.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Ok, I believe that the US is divided. It's just that we Americans have it much too soft to risk dissent- YET

The fallen provinces of Russia don't have anything to lose

We have only lost our freedom in corporate matters- (i.e. dissent in a blog about your job, and you lose your job)
it's only a matter of time before we lose our govenmental freedoms-

new topics

top topics

join