It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Gov Newsome Releasing 18,000 Prisoners Even Though Masks R Mandatory in Prison.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: underpass61

Apparently there are people who prefer to live a life of crime. They should remain locked up.

Or, maybe you have too many dumb laws.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No, but it offers the opportunity for prisoners to better themselves if they choose to take advantage of it.

You speaking from experience? The focus isn't on non-recidivism.

Yes, I am. My wife taught at a prison for several years in Ohio. Most of the prisoners did not want to attend classes that were designed to help them get a job after their release.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

If they choose not to take the initiative to improve themselves, they just stay in prison until the sentence is completed.

What 'initiatives'? Those initiatives were curtailed in the 1970's.

Now it's a money making endeavor brought to you by lobbyists and your elected leaders.

link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Apparently there are people who prefer to live a life of crime. They should remain locked up.

Or, maybe you have too many dumb laws.

There are thousands of dumb laws. Some are enforced.. most are not.

link   

Most of the prisoners did not want to attend classes that were designed to help them get a job after their release.

See above.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Do you have any idea how many prisons have been constructed over the last 20 years.? I have no clue.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This morning a federal judge ordered President Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen to be re-released from prison.

He is classified as non-violent.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   
dEmocrats are thick enough to believe those 18000 pieces of sh!t will vote in November

They won’t

The election is already over dEms, you don’t stand a chance.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
dEmocrats are thick enough to believe those 18000 pieces of sh!t will vote in November

They won’t

The election is already over dEms, you don’t stand a chance.

Why would that even matter in California? It's not like Biden needs the extra 18,000 votes to beat Trump there.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
Why not just move the convicts into nursing homes...that worked out so well last time.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

More violent rioters and looters are needed.... quick, empty the prisons.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Prisons are education centers. They put people in them who are not violent and should never have been there, and then the violent inmates educate them and turn them into violent criminals.

We got it wrong in the US. The whole system needs revamping. Instead of a pathway to becoming law-abiding citizens, we put them on a path to become hard core criminals. That's not even a partisan thing anymore.

I'll part ways with the Right entirely here and say that the dumb move for Newsome, would have been to leave everyone locked up. Only violent felons need to be there to keep a community safe.

Where they screw up is in just releasing them into the streets.

For those who have never lived there, California has so many laws and regulations on the books, people who would never go to jail in most other states, end up in jail or prison there. They strangle their population with law, after law, after law. It's a downside of being such a Left Wing state.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
You should be able to smoke indoors again now.

If the magic face panties protect you from Covid, they will save you from hypochondriac cancer too....unless you want to admit that they don’t work?

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   

The failure, to my mind, is a medical and education system that don't follow up on kids who are wired different and at odds with normal mental growth. "Different" does not always mean negative but there are often early cues that some kids will go on to be criminals. These differences can vary from those who are compliant geniuses to those with raging anti-social behaviour. Money needs put into screening and identifying these kids and supporting them fully on the path to better choices. Some disability is hidden and these individuals are expected to act normal, behave normal, plan out a life, follow the rules, work hard etc. but often they simply can't. Some are intelligent, others low on that scale. Neurotypical people don't understand why the neurodiverse just can't do _____ and try to hold them accountable... it doesn't work!

Governments won't support these programs because it costs money but if left untreated the cost to society and other individuals is much higher. I've been looking into this for some time now because I was one of those kids. Three separate hidden disabilities on top of a bright mind and you still get nowhere in life. I only did the testing when I was 50 and it answered a lot of questions.

There are studies out there that show that the vast majority of inmates have untreated mental illness, largely ADHD (I'm going to leave this alone because I looked it up on ATS search and found most people on here believe ADHD isn't real... again a projection of the capable mind. I have severe ADHD and the meds at a low dose have changed my life around in just two years so I won't even argue about it. I know the guy who discovered the disorder is said to have admitted he made it up or something but there is no arguing that we are all wired differently and some of us got crappy programing and that there are new genetic identifiers for disorders being discovered all the time) If let out and untreated criminals certainly aren't going to wake up one day feeling a lot better and ready excel in life. That is a projection from the mind of the capable onto the incapable. Without diagnosis and treatment they will go downhill and others will suffer too.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

You are exactly right.

I worked as counselor in facility that ran on donations and dealt with everything from alcoholism and drug addiction, to lifestyle changes. I worked there for a year and half before I had to seek better paying employment.

It included six months to a year of inpatient. Instead of throwing people back on the street, they got on demand counseling, room and board, a job to do in payment, and they had to have a job and money in the bank before asked to leave. It was so effective, one Federal Judge released felons a couple of years early if they checked in.

The success rate three years out was phenomenal and many times that of other programs, like the twelve-step stuff the government pushed. The reason was, instead of tossing them out the door after a few weeks, it was a complete lifestyle change. Anything under six months has a dismal long term success rate.

One of my jobs was tracking throw away kids, to get them involved before they got recruited into the street life. By kids, I mean 16+ kids whose parents tossed them. Mostly though they were guys in their twenties and thirties who never got their act together.

Out of the around thirty people I shepherded through the program, nearly all of them still had a job and were doing well three years out. They were all potential inmates when they hit bottom and came in for help.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
Your response has to be the most ignorant one I've seen in a long time. If they're in there for non-violent crimes and didn't hurt anyone then I have to question why they're there to begin with. But if they're there for any of the multitude of offenses like child abuse, arson, selling &/or distributing hard drugs, anything with a weapon, screw it. They need to do their time.

I read the article. They are moving up release times by 12 weeks, so these people would have been out anyway three months from now. They also have to meet a list of requirements, being a low threat for violence and not being a sex offender is among them.

As to why there's so many non-violent people in prison, that's easily answered, prisons make money.

I didn't read the article, I was stunned by his statements. Regardless, you're right, it's not as bad as it sounds initially but still...

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

but still...

But still..what?

Read Blaines 2 posts on this page..pretty much nailed it.

posted on Jul, 23 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Your response has to be the most ignorant one I've seen in a long time. If they're in there for non-violent crimes and didn't hurt anyone then I have to question why they're there to begin with. But if they're there for any of the multitude of offenses like child abuse, arson, selling &/or distributing hard drugs, anything with a weapon, screw it. They need to do their time.

I read the article. They are moving up release times by 12 weeks, so these people would have been out anyway three months from now. They also have to meet a list of requirements, being a low threat for violence and not being a sex offender is among them.

As to why there's so many non-violent people in prison, that's easily answered, prisons make money.

glad you pointed that out

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 05:21 AM
link   

I didn't read the article, I was stunned by his statements. Regardless, you're right, it's not as bad as it sounds initially but still...

Newsome, like nearly all politicians, is a pandering cretin. That doesn't change the fact that there are far too many non-violent offenders in our for profit prison system.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join