It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education should be defunded, specifically white teachers and administrators

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   
As we see the highly successful push for defunding police I think it's important to look for other places with systemic racism we can better through less government funding and more radical changes. One of the systems with demonstrably worse outcomes for black Americans is the education system. There is research that shows not only does the education system fail black students, but that white teachers have lower expectations for black students allowing for the shocking disparities in overall proficiency upon graduation, which black students are also less likely to complete.

In a report by UNCF it shows that education is largely run by, and staffed by, whites who have lower expectations for black students. It shows the less experienced teachers, lower paid teachers, and novice teacher are more likely to work in predominantly black schools.

There is a clear lack of black representation in school personnel.  According to a 2016 Department of Education report, in 2011-12, only 10 percent of public school principals were black, compared to 80 percent white. Eighty-two percent of public school educators are white, compared to 18 percent teachers of color. In addition, black male teachers only constitute two percent of the teaching workforce.

African American students are often located in schools with less qualified teachers, teachers with lower salaries and novice teachers.

Research has shown evidence of systematic bias in teacher expectations for African American students and non-black teachers were found to have lower expectations of black students than black teachers.
This point towards a need for less experienced teachers to be incentivized to work at predominantly white schools in better funded education systems, thus forcing more experienced teachers to accept work in the schools with education disparities. Even as funding decreases we must move funding from predominantly white schools to those with less funding to create equity. The disparity in expectations is blatant prejudice by white teachers and must not be incentivized through continued financial rewards.

It's all very troubling and to continue funding it as it stands just further victimizes black youths. Defunding, specifically the defunding of white teachers, is the correct way to begin changing the systems for more equitable outcomes. An important step in replacing them is to employ more counselors. There is a critical need for school counselors and, with teachers creating a lower financial burden, there will be much more money to meet or exceed the recommended ratios.

According to the Office for Civil Rights, 1.6 million students attend a school with a sworn law enforcement officers (SLEO), but not a school counselor. In fact, the national student-to-counselor ratio is 491-to-1, however the American School Counselor Association recommends a ratio of 250-to-1.

The numbers are clear, perhaps even more clear than disparities in police involved homicides. We should be defunding education, reallocating the remaining funding away from white schools, and creating disincentives for experienced and qualified teachers to work in predominantly white schools which already have a statistical advantage. Those disincentives could take many forms. Lower salary, fewer days off, or even a lower employee funded retirement benefit, would all be a start.

The teachers unions can show their support for BLM not through just verbal support and calling for defunding of school based policing, but by lobbying for change where they have the biggest impact. They can directly influence policy through their contract negotiations. The experienced teachers and administrators can act to change the system by leaving their positions in mostly white schools and bringing their experience and enthusiasm for equality to predominantly black schools where those skills are sorely needed.

I'm sure teachers, white educators, white administrators, will all be glad to know that they can be part of the same sweeping changes we're seeing in law enforcement in America. Now rather than teaching about racial injustice they can support it through action. It's time for a brave new education system. I hope the school systems in America will take up this cause with the same zeal as with other racial justice causes. They can make a real impact.

edit on 7/22/20 by Ksihkehe because: (no reason given)

+43 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

+23 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Do you guys ever get tired of this "blame the white man" rhetoric?

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I say we defund everything. Defund the government. Defund the banks. Defund the USPS. Defund the Military. Defund it all because 200 years ago before any of us were born there were slaves. We should just undo it, and let other more strict, freedom hating governments come in and rip the nation apart, and everyone can live miserable live because they deserve to pay for things that happened before they were ever conceived.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I agree, get rid of obsolete teachers & physical schools. Replace them with automated online education & AI teachers. Kids can pick whatever color teacher they want, pink, purple, green, blue, etc.. the sooner this is done the sooner we can reduce the financial burden on taxpayers. All government services can be automated as well. There's no need for public buildings like court houses or public employees anymore. Give the public buildings to the homeless to live in.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlysyn
Do you guys ever get tired of this "blame the white man" rhetoric?

It sure is wearing thin.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   

You're several decades too late. They've been defunding public education for years.
edit on 22-7-2020 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Can't tell if this is sarcastic or serious. The problems with the inner city schools is the parents that allow their kids to behave any way they want and the teachers are not allowed to discipline them. The teachers are more worried about getting home alive than they are about teaching. It was bad for years and got significantly worse thanks to Obama.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Defund all those patronizing things from Whitey that keep Blacks down on purpose:
- welfare
- EBT cards
- Obamaphones
- Planned Parenthood
- SPLC
- the Democrat party

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Well, would you want your kid to go to a school ran by all blacks? You wouldn't understand half the crap they would say.

Matter of fact, if most blacks spoke there words a bit better they would probably have a better chance at a job other than fast food.

All the well to do blacks I have come across speak normal English. Majority of them at restaurants speak like they are wannabe gangsta rappers. Atleast in my area anyway.
edit on 22-7-2020 by cognizant420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   

The whole thing is going so well in South Africa.

Those who can't learn from history will simply keep repeating the same mistakes over and over.

You do understand there would not be enough teachers to teach.

P

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The problems brought forth by the op, to some degree,, are a product of the culture. It is the white man's education system so it is frowned upon it. This is why you hear of individuals getting ridiculed, called a sell out or bullied for getting good grades and/or wanting a good education. Parenting also plays a part IMHO.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadlyStaringFrog

Easy solution for unruly kids- bring back scary teachers, who beat unruly kids with rulers.

Then give them tazers for kids who still don't get in line.
Teach parents spanking lessons, too, so those kids behave at home too.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

That is something in dire need for a good 30-40 years now.

That's how it was when I was a kid.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420
a reply to: a325nt

That is something in dire need for a good 30-40 years now.

That's how it was when I was a kid.

It was less popular when I was a kid, and I'm told it was outright banned in the city.

Look how that turned out.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
We should not let the kids with good grades and good citizenship go to school at all, until the kids with bad grades and bad behavior catch up! It's horrible that some kids are doing better than others-- they should all be equally learn-ed despite their study habits or home training! You cannot blame the parents-- they are innocent bystanders watching this #e-show go down. Slow down the progress of those selfish good students, until everything is equal across the board! I can't believe schools don't see that this is all their fault! They are failing those angelic underachievers on purpose!
edit on 7/22/2020 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here
We should not let the kids with good grades and good citizenship go to school at all, until the kids with bad grades and bad behavior catch up! It's horrible that some kids are doing better than others-- they should all be equally learn-ed despite their study habits or home training! You cannot blame the parents-- they are innocent bystanders watching this #e-show go down. Slow down the progress of those selfish good students, until everything is equal across the board! I can't believe schools don't see that this is all their fault! They are failing those angelic underachievers on purpose!

- no child left behind act

No, really.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt

- no child left behind act

No, really.

Preaching to the choir, my friend-- I was a teacher when that delightful phrase and it's accompanying mandates came of age.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I originally wanted to post the ultimate insult from Billy Madison, but didn't feel the mods would approve of it. It definitely applies here, though. Sadly, this looks like a typical liberal hit & run post, and I won't get an answer to my question about the "blame the white man" rhetoric.

posted on Jul, 22 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Finally, somebody gets it. This sounds like a popular program from my youth called mainstreaming.

I greatly enjoyed it in my K-8 years when I was able to cover remedial topics at a pace that suited those with severe behavioral and cognitive disabilities. Their inability to follow along and constant outbursts definitely didn't impede the children that were trying to excel and follow rules. Instead it made those children better behaved and less cognitively disabled.

It was also great in college when the standards were lowered to such a degree that just about anybody could participate in high level classes irrespective to their abilities or level of preparation. It really gave the disadvantaged an opportunity to get a degree. Of course, the quality of the education I was paying for was diminished, but at least everybody could get a degree if they were willing to pay.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join